Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:05 AM

378 posts, read 625,994 times

Advertisements

I hear this a lot, yet our government is crap. Where I live is also pretty bad. My city has crime, gangs, graffiti, gets invaded by illegal aliens, has poor schools, unfriendly people, etc. Yet the U.S. gets called the best country in the world? How is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,040,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
I hear this a lot, yet our government is crap. Where I live is also pretty bad. My city has crime, gangs, graffiti, gets invaded by illegal aliens, has poor schools, unfriendly people, etc. Yet the U.S. gets called the best country in the world? How is it?
Well for starters, how about living here allows you to post this kind of "information" with the right of freedom of speech guaranteed by the Constitution?

Old 03-24-2009, 04:27 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times
Quote:
I think a lot of this comes down to personal opinion and experience. Yes, some cities have major problems with the things you mentioned, but not everywhere. There are many rural areas in the country where time passes much slower and many of the negative things of our society are not prevelent.

The area that I live in is an upscale suburban area and we don't have the problems you mentioned, at least not to any degree that I have observed. You can't take a ghetto area of a bad inner city and conclude that the entire country is like that - far from it. Most areas of the country are actually pretty nice.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:35 AM

957 posts, read 1,132,549 times
Quote:
It's been called that but today many people prefer to move to Canada Australia and Europe instead of USA.
By the way I think the success of America relied upon:
-smart hardworking people willing to make it
-aboundant and cheap land/resources
-a very advanced constitution

Old 03-24-2009, 07:24 AM

14 posts, read 23,431 times
For me the United States of America are still the best country in the world. It is my dream to live in the US after graduating from "Gymnasium" here in Germany.
I think the US are still the land of opportunity. We don't have something like the American Dream here in Germany. The yawning chasm between poor and rich people is getting bigger and bigger and you won't be able to step up the social ladder if you are a member of the understory.
You still have this opportunity in the US. A current example is Mr. Obama.
Talking about him, I think that with his administration the USA started to focus back to the values created by its forefathers in the Declaration of Independece. Mr. Obama also struggles against people who are just exploiting hard working americans (e.g. AIG). I think this is a good start in order to create a new and strong american economy. By the way the american economy had to face bigger tasks than now. Just have a look to the great depression.
Just one last thing to Mr. Obama. I think he should also face the task of the immigration problem. The USA need immigrants with knowledge and skills who are willing to adopt the american values and culture. They don't need lazy unemployed immigrants who found gangs and increase the crime.

Summarizing I want to say that I think with the values of hard work, patriotism and optimism the USA can again become what they were in the past: "the greatest country in the world"

Old 03-24-2009, 07:30 AM

6 posts, read 23,082 times
Default us best country

Is it the best?
No. It's not.
Is it the worst?
No. It's not.

Americans are fed 'propaganda' to believe it's the best. But as 90% don't have a passport - how would you know?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
LOL...it is obviously not the best. It's one of the worst.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:41 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcChristopher View Post
The yawning chasm between poor and rich people is getting bigger and bigger and you won't be able to step up the social ladder if you are a member of the understory.
You still have this opportunity in the US. A current example is Mr. Obama.
the gap is widening all across the world. and why wouldn't it? if you were super rich, you wouldn't want poor people getting what you have. that's not just a german or american trend, it's a world-wide phenomenon. thus, getting rid of the middle class slowly over time.

the thing about Obama is he's not some savior off the street. his presidency was calculated. do you know he's not even from chicago? he's from hawaii. he just leached onto chicago for "street cred" and political success.

the real fact of the matter, which no one can deny, is Obama is cousins with George W. Bush and Dick Cheney.

No kissing among cousins: Obama, Bush are kin : News-Record.com : Greensboro, North Carolina

no normal person could ever be President. It's all contrived.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:43 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
Quote:
It is just a slogan that is all. It is like when a pizza shop says: "Eat at Joe's Pizza! The best pizza in the world!" It is all a matter of opinion.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:47 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by activefitness65 View Post
Is it the best?
No. It's not.
Is it the worst?
No. It's not.

Americans are fed 'propaganda' to believe it's the best. But as 90% don't have a passport - how would you know?
90% don't have passports because:

1) We don't get several months a year off from work to travel. In other words we work harder and longer here.

2) We live in a huge country that could consume 20 years to see.

3) We do not live in teeny tiny countries where the next nation is a bicycle ride away.

Show me the propaganda to which you refer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.