U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 05:32 AM

598 posts, read 1,520,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanre View Post
Hey guys, I'm hoping I can get some feedback on moving

My wife and I are looking to move somewhere a little warmer than Minnesota. Here's a list of what we are looking for and I want to know your suggestions in terms of which cities are good.

1- close to the Oceans
2- low crime rate
3- More liberal than Minnesota (good community or social programs and a sense of shared future or shared community)
4- Nice people, more friendly. not fake but nice (I know I know we can't generalize but it doesn't hurt to add this to the list)
5- mostly Democratic representation (few or no Republicans elected into office)
6- scenic (available hiking and state parks close by or in city)
7- plenty of trees and parks and trails within city limits
8- Not a desert region (no cactus but cedar tress plz)
9- Not colder than 0F in winters (no -20 windchill plz)
10- A good public transportation system + pedestrian friendly
11- low pollution (good air and water quality standards)
12- does not feel disconnected from the rest of the US
13- cultured (theater, libraries, operas, public radio, public TV, liberal radio channels, good school districts)
14- Moderate cost of living (similar to the Twin Cities)
15- Availability of organic food
16- Affordable tier 1 or tier 2 law schools (but not ones that are impossible to get in (top 20) )

I say "city" but I mean general area, for instance I live in the Twin cities area now, not in Minneapolis but a suburb, this would be the case with other places. I wouldn't want to live in a down town but in a close by suburb (or the city itself if not too crowded)

We want to have access to what a large city can offer (cultural stuff, museums, airports, higher education, jobs, etc..) while not dealing with too much crime or congestion (parks, nice people, ocean beaches)

Thanks guys
I'm a bit late to jump on the thread, hope it's not too late... because I have just the place for you...if you can overlook quick beach access.

Carrboro/Chapel Hill, NC

1. Close to the ocean....umm, not quite. It's a 2.5 hour drive to the beach, or 2.5 to the mountains.

2. Crime rate is very low. We often forgot to lock our door in Carrboro when we lived there.

3. Carrboro elected, then relected twice an openly gay Mayor. The area is, and has been "dark blue" for years.

4. Some of the friendliest, most welcoming people I've met anywhere

5. Check

6. Check again...beautiful place to live

7. big check...lots of greenspace. Duke Forest in particular is great.

8. not even close

9. again, not even close

10. a great public transportation system for a smaller town, and it's fare-free...yep, that's right...free! Also very walkable and extremely bike-friendly.

11. Much cleaner air than the rest of the east coast and very green-oriented

12. Very connected to the rest of the east coast/world. Raleigh-Durham International Airport offers good accessibility to pretty much anywhere. It's a 4 hour drive to DC.

13. Excellent cultural availability because of the presence of UNC and Duke. The area has the highest per capita concentration of PhDs in the country.

14. Given the quality of life, an outstanding cost of living index.

15. Very convenient access to organic food. Carrboro has an excellent co-op..Weaver Street Market and one of the top Farmer's Markets in the country. Weaver Street Market - Home (http://www.weaverstreetmarket.com/ - broken link) http://carrborofarmersmarket.com/

16. University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill....Duke University (not affordable but worth it)...a bit of a stretch, but not horrible commute-wise would be
Elon's law school, in Greensboro. From Carrboro, about 40-45 minutes.

Check out this link below. I miss Carrboro and can't wait to move back.
Best of luck to you! If you have any further questions about Carrboro, feel free to message me here.

Carrboro, North Carolina Overview

Last edited by niceguy19125; 06-02-2009 at 05:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 AM

110 posts, read 436,982 times
^ I agree. I would think about San Diego and pretty much any other city along the California coast. It is expensive because these places are in high demand and such a high quality of life. I would also look at Portland, OR and Seattle which are less expensive and definately liberal.

I would seriously think about Pittsburgh too. It would fit very well into your standards and the winters are not nearly as cold as Minnesota. Really look into it. I will give you more information on Pittsburgh if you need it. I am kind of in a hurry to go somewhere now.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:44 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,853,858 times
If you can live without the ocean, try Austin.

And I agree with liberal cities being expensive because of high demand and quality of life. Almost nobody is dying to live in some backwards town in the middle of nowhere. That's why it's cheap. It has nothing to do with whether it is or is not conservative. It has everything to do with high/low demand.

Moderator cut: off-topic

Old 06-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,200,060 times
Some deleted posts make it clear that the thread needs a reminder not to provide opinions wrapped in cheap shots at folks on the other side of the political fence. Insults aimed at other members have no place anywhere on City-Data and the armchair analysis of why liberal, warm places are hard to find is only on-topic in the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:06 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,033,085 times
Both Seattle and Portland fit almost all the criteria to a "T", but they are not warm weather cities (but they are not "cold" cities either). Very mild climates on both ends of the temperature spectrum. Also another drawback is that the PNW is somewhat isolated from the east coast and midwest.

Last edited by toughguy; 06-11-2009 at 12:23 PM..

Old 06-11-2009, 03:23 PM

902 posts, read 2,439,817 times
I would say San Francisco, but low crime rate doesn't fit the bill and it can also be rather cold in the city proper. San Diego is probaly a better fit...for the bay area santa rosa is good.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:33 PM

3,732 posts, read 7,094,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanre View Post
Hey guys, I'm hoping I can get some feedback on moving

My wife and I are looking to move somewhere a little warmer than Minnesota. Here's a list of what we are looking for and I want to know your suggestions in terms of which cities are good.

1- close to the Oceans
2- low crime rate
3- More liberal than Minnesota (good community or social programs and a sense of shared future or shared community)
4- Nice people, more friendly. not fake but nice (I know I know we can't generalize but it doesn't hurt to add this to the list)
13- cultured (theater, libraries, operas, public radio, public TV, liberal radio channels, good school districts)
16- Affordable tier 1 or tier 2 law schools (but not ones that are impossible to get in (top 20) )

I say "city" but I mean general area, for instance I live in the Twin cities area now, not in Minneapolis but a suburb, this would be the case with other places. I wouldn't want to live in a down town but in a close by suburb (or the city itself if not too crowded)

We want to have access to what a large city can offer (cultural stuff, museums, airports, higher education, jobs, etc..) while not dealing with too much crime or congestion (parks, nice people, ocean beaches)

Thanks guys
You basically just described a dream city lol, I can't think of ANY city in the US that fits ALL of those numbers.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:05 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,232,570 times
Quote:
1- close to the Oceans
2- low crime rate
There are several cities in California that would fit the criteria, in my opinion.

Santa Cruz: beautiful beaches\ classic boardwalk. Redwood forests\ steep mountains. Excellent climate [60s' in winter\ 70's summer]\ clean air & ocean. Lots of outdoor activities including hiking, surfing, fishing. Layback community w/ lots of coffee shops\ outdoor cafes\ live music. Strong marijuana culture\ hippy-types. Super environmental\ Green party stronghold [likely no Republicans in any sort of governing capacity]. Great university\ book stores\ good radio. San Francisco\ San Jose an hour away. Monterey Bay\ Big Sur just down the coastline. Lots of agriculture\ natural farming\ organic foods [Santa Cruz county produces large amounts of lettuce\ apples\ artichokes\ asparagus, etc.]. UCSC has a law school. Cost of living is a bit pricey but areas outside Santa Cruz like Aptos\ Watsonville\ Corralitos aren't as expensive.

http://www.santacruzpictures.com/albums.php?albumId=84224&plboxId=&page=1&numperpag e=60 (broken link)

Last edited by californio sur; 04-27-2010 at 12:02 AM..

Old 04-26-2010, 11:45 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,232,570 times
Santa Barbara: beautiful beaches\ channel islands\ mountains within city limit\ called the "California Rivera"\ resort city-spas\ many wealthy residents. Near perfect climate [60's winter\ 70's summer], clean air & beaches but some offshore oil wells. Year-round outdoor activities [surfing\ hiking\ biking\ fishing]. Very mellow\ layback w/ lots of cafes\ outdoor dining\ live music\ very good restaurants\ historic Spanish roots w/ lots of mission architecture. Noted artist community\ cultural offerings. Strong environmentalists\ anti-growth sentiment\ always votes Democratic. Great university\ party school\ youth culture in Goleta. Los Angeles 2 hrs away. Nearby valleys [Santa Ynez\ Ojai\ Santa Clarita] produce citrus\ avocados\ wine grapes in abundance\ organic farming-organic foods. UCSB has law school. Santa Barbara is expensive but less so in Ventura [30 minutes south].

Santa Barbara Pictures - California stock photos, fine art prints by QTL

Old 04-26-2010, 11:46 PM

216 posts, read 611,986 times
I'll attest to that. The Santa Barbara area is everything that the previous poster said it is. Spectacular!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or