U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 3,635 times

Advertisements

lol. there are no "low crime" cities with mostly democratic representation. a "liberal" city is, by definition, a city with a high crime rate, lousy schools, a high cost of living, high taxes, a huge homeless population....etc.

if you want low taxes, good schools, a low crime rate, little pollution ... you are looking at places in the midsection of the country...the Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, or places like Utah or New Hampshire.
But they aren't warm. you can't have everything.

the closest thing to what you want is Austin, Texas. It's very liberal, and it can afford to be because it exists in a red state with a strong, pro-business culture. However, once the Latino population becomes a majority, Texas will be very much like California -- strong anti-polllution laws yet heavily polluted cities, high taxes on the "wealthy" yet with enormous income inequality, high per capital spending on public schools yet terrible educational outcomes; enormous economic assets (deep water ports, access to growing Asian markets, Hollywood, high tech, the military, fertile agriculture land, a large population) yet high unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 11:40 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,037,374 times
San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, and Austin.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:15 PM

1,955 posts, read 2,730,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaly70 View Post
lol. there are no "low crime" cities with mostly democratic representation. a "liberal" city is, by definition, a city with a high crime rate, lousy schools, a high cost of living, high taxes, a huge homeless population....etc.

if you want low taxes, good schools, a low crime rate, little pollution ... you are looking at places in the midsection of the country...the Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, or places like Utah or New Hampshire.
But they aren't warm. you can't have everything.

the closest thing to what you want is Austin, Texas. It's very liberal, and it can afford to be because it exists in a red state with a strong, pro-business culture. However, once the Latino population becomes a majority, Texas will be very much like California -- strong anti-polllution laws yet heavily polluted cities, high taxes on the "wealthy" yet with enormous income inequality, high per capital spending on public schools yet terrible educational outcomes; enormous economic assets (deep water ports, access to growing Asian markets, Hollywood, high tech, the military, fertile agriculture land, a large population) yet high unemployment.
What about Massachusetts? Its much more liberal than even California and is number 1 in the country for education. Look at their state legislature and national representation. Republicans have been massacred in that state. They also have one of the highest standards of living in the country, one of the highest average incomes, and one of the educated populations. It also has one of the lowest unemployment rates.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:07 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,345,615 times
Only a very few places in the US are both warm and liberal, they're all in California and Hawaii except for Austin Texas.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:30 PM

510 posts, read 769,036 times
I would agree with Austin, TX being a good fit, but the ocean may be farther than you like.
I also think Honolulu, HI would be a great choice, but can't speak towards the law school aspect.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,069 times
Santa Barbara would be wonderful, but it's seriously pricy. I thought of San Diego, it's historically been a fairly conservative city but seems to be changing. But really most places on the West Coast would fit the bill as long as you can live without a super-warm winter. If you want that maybe Miami Beach, but you'd be in a more conservative region/state.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:54 AM

882 posts, read 1,780,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
What about Massachusetts?.
Want to know how I know you've never been in the, er, nicer areas of Greater Boston?

Old 12-02-2012, 08:56 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,182,398 times
The closest one I can think of is Austin. That said, no place really matches the OP.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,200,060 times
Austin's warm in the winter, but it gets hot there in the summer. It's also only dependably liberal in the inner city. The suburbs are fairly red there, as you can read over and over in multiple threads in City-Data's Austin forum.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:29 AM

256 posts, read 454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanre View Post
Hey guys, I'm hoping I can get some feedback on moving

My wife and I are looking to move somewhere a little warmer than Minnesota. Here's a list of what we are looking for and I want to know your suggestions in terms of which cities are good.

1- close to the Oceans
2- low crime rate
3- More liberal than Minnesota (good community or social programs and a sense of shared future or shared community)
4- Nice people, more friendly. not fake but nice (I know I know we can't generalize but it doesn't hurt to add this to the list)
5- mostly Democratic representation (few or no Republicans elected into office)
6- scenic (available hiking and state parks close by or in city)
7- plenty of trees and parks and trails within city limits
8- Not a desert region (no cactus but cedar tress plz)
9- Not colder than 0F in winters (no -20 windchill plz)
10- A good public transportation system + pedestrian friendly
11- low pollution (good air and water quality standards)
12- does not feel disconnected from the rest of the US
13- cultured (theater, libraries, operas, public radio, public TV, liberal radio channels, good school districts)
14- Moderate cost of living (similar to the Twin Cities)
15- Availability of organic food
16- Affordable tier 1 or tier 2 law schools (but not ones that are impossible to get in (top 20) )

I say "city" but I mean general area, for instance I live in the Twin cities area now, not in Minneapolis but a suburb, this would be the case with other places. I wouldn't want to live in a down town but in a close by suburb (or the city itself if not too crowded)

We want to have access to what a large city can offer (cultural stuff, museums, airports, higher education, jobs, etc..) while not dealing with too much crime or congestion (parks, nice people, ocean beaches)

Thanks guys
You can not get all of that. If there was a place like that that would be my HEAVEN. My best bet is spend some cash and move to hawaii
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or