U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,781,055 times

Advertisements

Portland or one of the small cities around Seattle.

The people here apparently don't understand CA. It in generally requires that you bring money...large sums of money. San Diego, Santa Barbara, San Francisco are all hellaciously expensive. So is Vancouver and Victoria BC.

Portland is not on the coast but close. Fits the rest pretty well. Seattle is also pretty dear but you can live reasonably out a ways.

You can also try inland behind San Diego...but it goes red by the mile as you leave town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaly70 View Post
lol. there are no "low crime" cities with mostly democratic representation. a "liberal" city is, by definition, a city with a high crime rate, lousy schools, a high cost of living, high taxes, a huge homeless population....etc.

if you want low taxes, good schools, a low crime rate, little pollution ... you are looking at places in the midsection of the country...the Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, or places like Utah or New Hampshire.
But they aren't warm. you can't have everything.

the closest thing to what you want is Austin, Texas. It's very liberal, and it can afford to be because it exists in a red state with a strong, pro-business culture. However, once the Latino population becomes a majority, Texas will be very much like California -- strong anti-polllution laws yet heavily polluted cities, high taxes on the "wealthy" yet with enormous income inequality, high per capital spending on public schools yet terrible educational outcomes; enormous economic assets (deep water ports, access to growing Asian markets, Hollywood, high tech, the military, fertile agriculture land, a large population) yet high unemployment.
Cary, NC is a great liberal blueberry stuck in a decidedly red state but it's got many of the criteria on your list. The entire "triangle" area near Raleigh qualifies. Low crime, great schools, good variety in housing choices (condos, apartment, single family homes, all price levels), 2 hrs from some of the best beaches along the Atlantic, 3 hours from the mountains, some of the world's best golf courses within 2 hours, low taxes, it's been rated as having the cleanest water in America recently, close to Durham which was rated the most tolerant city in America recently, very strong business/tech which buffered us from the heinous economic issues the rest of the country has suffered. Cary has been voted the best place to live in America by Money magazine in the last 6-ish years. Close to many cultural facilities. Has a professional hockey team nearby. Lots of college sports events. Concerts.

Love living here!

Old 09-13-2013, 03:00 PM

34,666 posts, read 33,667,394 times
Find work, then a place to live.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:52 AM

12 posts, read 12,566 times
The people that have posted here that "you can't have all that" say this either out of ignorance or hubris. The fact is that Eugene, Oregon fits all the above criteria. Except, maybe #12, but I'm not clear on what this means to you.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,097 times
This thread began in 2009 and here we are in 2017 and we are getting DESPERATE to find a liberal area to raise kids and family that is NOT in a huge city, not so expensive we can't survive (which fairly well leaves out the West Coast since it doesn't go far when the rent alone is more than I make), and WARM. Since NC lost its mind, there doesn't seem to be anywhere for us to go. I love it here in the South...but it isn't really welcoming for liberals and I don't want my family exposed to free gun carry laws and all the rest of the hatefulness. Why are all the liberals areas in cold states???

Old 04-08-2017, 02:27 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,424,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCKR View Post
This thread began in 2009 and here we are in 2017 and we are getting DESPERATE to find a liberal area to raise kids and family that is NOT in a huge city, not so expensive we can't survive (which fairly well leaves out the West Coast since it doesn't go far when the rent alone is more than I make), and WARM. Since NC lost its mind, there doesn't seem to be anywhere for us to go. I love it here in the South...but it isn't really welcoming for liberals and I don't want my family exposed to free gun carry laws and all the rest of the hatefulness. Why are all the liberals areas in cold states???
How much can you afford to pay for a house? How large?

Old 04-08-2017, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,097 times
we'll just rent till we can get settled and learn the area...but I can't afford much there either (hubby died of cancer and now I am raising my high school age son and two grandbabies by myself) $1000 at most. <br>Because we adopted transracially our family has a very diverse racial profile...so we need a place that isn't intolerant of differences. As long as the weather is temperate I can raise a good garden and we'll get by...being where is snows all the time isn't very conducive to being self-reliant in that area &nbsp; <br>My daughters and their hubbies/kids would like to move too...seeking better environments to raise families... so I am reaching out for guidance for us all.<br>

Old 04-09-2017, 11:27 AM

5,682 posts, read 8,749,928 times
Quote:
Since NC lost its mind, there doesn't seem to be anywhere for us to go.
If the NC triangle meets your other criteria, I'd advise you to check your paranoia at the border.

Places have been mentioned where you are unlikely to encounter overt hatefulness. As for concern over open carry.... You are far more likely to be injured in an automobile accident.

Being realistic, you could look at Peachtree city, GA where people ride around in golf carts.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:17 PM

252 posts, read 393,824 times
San Diego? It has good weather and its still nice but its expensive and its has gotten really crowded and sprawled out over the last few decades , from so many people moving there and to Southern California in general. Traffic is constantly congested..

Old 04-11-2017, 03:25 PM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCKR View Post
Has Durham fallen into a vortex and disappeared? It hits all of your criteria and people there last I checked haven't gone off and lost their minds or become hateful having lived there myself for several years and still visit frequently. I would urge you to perform some more due diligence and perhaps visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or