U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 06:34 AM

320 posts, read 502,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Has Durham fallen into a vortex and disappeared? It hits all of your criteria and people there last I checked haven't gone off and lost their minds or become hateful having lived there myself for several years and still visit frequently. I would urge you to perform some more due diligence and perhaps visit.
Yeah, Durham pretty much got us a Democratic governor despite Trump winning the state. Looks like it checks all your criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 07:29 AM

22,654 posts, read 28,660,433 times
As far as I can tell, any city that is really liberal is a craphole. However, Los Angeles meets all of the OP's requirements, in case anyone else is looking for the same thing.

It's easy enough to find a map of the counties in the USA, and move to whatever big city is located in one of those blue counties. There aren't a lot of them, so not too much effort to sort through them.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:15 AM

6,837 posts, read 6,178,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanre View Post
Thank you!
I added Tallahasee to my list I had not considered Florida until now

How's the cost of living there? Homes/land/rent too pricey?
Boy, I don't know if I'd include Tallahassee relative to "liberalism". Keep in mind that the poster who recommended it said it was "liberal for north Florida". In reality that's not very liberal. Tallahassee's "liberalism is sort of a coalition between the black voters and the people who are associated with the two universities and the capitol. The rank and file mindset there is very conservative. This is especially true when you get out of the area known as the capitol circle.

However, it is a beautiful area that is reasonably warm and just 30 or so minutes from the gulf. When I lived there I used to take St. Mark's trail down to the gulf on a bicycle.

In reality, Tallahassee is very much like any other grand old southern town. Some incredible neighborhoods and some areas of abject poverty in town. The suburban areas are sprawling and nice but are pretty typical.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:44 PM

12,842 posts, read 4,638,397 times
Areas in Oregon and Maryland are probably good options.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:54 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,444,446 times
The Triangle is worth considering. People have mentioned it already. There are no blue states in the south. VA, FL, and NC are swing states and those all have conservative state legislatures that are unlikely to change, barring a huge national landslide or a court case that weakens gerrymandering. Living in a swing state has benefits, like your vote actually mattering in national elections. But it also comes with drawbacks... you're gonna get awful stuff from your state government from time to time.

1- close to the Oceans - 2-2.5 hour drive to Wrightsville Beach, which is a reasonable day trip.
2- low crime rate - Raleigh and Chapel Hill yes, Durham eh... violent crime is still low in Durham though.
3- More liberal than Minnesota - It isn't, and nothing will be outside Vermont, or Oregon, or Hawaii. It is liberal though. Many of us still have our Bernie bumper stickers.
4- Nice people, more friendly. not fake but nice - Absolutely.
5- mostly Democratic representation (few or no Republicans elected into office) - On a local level, this is true for the whole Triangle. Chapel Hill, Durham, and Raleigh all have councils, schoolboards, and BOCs dominated by democrats. There are many different kinds of Democrats though. The ones in Raleigh tend to be more moderate and tend to play it a bit safer on the social issues because the hyper-conservative General Assembly is sitting right there, watching what they do, and can retaliate any time.
6- scenic (available hiking and state parks close by or in city) - There are some good state parks nearby. Occoneechee Mountain and Eno River State Park have some good overlooks, cliffs, and waterfalls. Not really any major "wow" scenery though unless you drive to the mountains or beach.
7- plenty of trees and parks and trails within city limits - Oh yeah. Trails and trees for days.
8- Not a desert region (no cactus but cedar tress plz) - Nope.
9- Not colder than 0F in winters (no -20 windchill plz) - Never gets below 10F. Rarely gets below 20F.
10- A good public transportation system + pedestrian friendly - Chapel Hill/Carrboro yes. Durham and Raleigh, eh... gonna be some compromises there. The downtown areas are walkable, but much of the region is car-centric and sprawled.
11- low pollution (good air and water quality standards) - yes
12- does not feel disconnected from the rest of the US - very well connected
13- cultured (theater, libraries, operas, public radio, public TV, liberal radio channels, good school districts) - We have some excellent local radio stations run by the universities. WXYC, WKNC, etc. Lots of theaters, DPAC, Playmakers, Memorial Auditorium... great schools.
14- Moderate cost of living (similar to the Twin Cities) - yes
15- Availability of organic food - surely that's everywhere
16- Affordable tier 1 or tier 2 law schools (but not ones that are impossible to get in (top 20) ) - Duke and UNC are top tier, but not easy to get into. NCCU and Campbell are still there if you don't.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:13 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,286,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downnice View Post
You can not get all of that. If there was a place like that that would be my HEAVEN. My best bet is spend some cash and move to hawaii
Heaven must be pretty close to Portland. Because Portland is pretty close to this save for the law school part.
With that being said the big ask here is the law schools. It is the price thing that kills it, because DC, SF, Seattle, and much of California would all fit the bill to some extent. Except for the fact they are all pretty expensive.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 374 times
Your answer is on this thread multiple times: Chapel Hill North Carolina!

Old 07-03-2018, 12:32 PM

4,839 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Austin?

Old 04-03-2019, 05:01 AM

2 posts, read 666 times
Portland, Oregon is a quick drive to the coast, and itís still reasonably priced to live there. I live in San Francisco, but my cousin and close friend live in Portland and love it! If it werenít for the rain and leaving my family behind, Iíd love to live in Portland as well. My cousin is from Minnesota, and he thinks the weather in Portland is swell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or