U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:16 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,238,552 times

Advertisements

Southern New England or central/southern NY. The climate will be a little more tolerable than the upper midwest, especially if you stay closer to the water. There are some real nice small-towns in CT you may like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 02:34 PM

84 posts, read 286,415 times
Thanks for the info so far and keep 'em coming We are currently in the upper midwest and actually do live in a great little town...but the weather...yuk. While New England certainly has it's allure it's still cold

Lovindecatur....you have some very interesting options particularily interested in Franklin, TN - looks like it might be just what we are looking for...temperate climate, good school options, historic elements, looks great for hiking, biking and other outdoor pursuits and an added bonus my hubby plugged in a search for his ideal job and got a lot of hits in the area

Old 03-25-2009, 02:37 PM

3,884 posts, read 8,965,634 times
Sedona, AZ maybe or Prescott, AZ Warm and not fairing to bad.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:23 PM

23,076 posts, read 35,028,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom1 View Post
Thanks for the info so far and keep 'em coming We are currently in the upper midwest and actually do live in a great little town...but the weather...yuk. While New England certainly has it's allure it's still cold

Lovindecatur....you have some very interesting options particularily interested in Franklin, TN - looks like it might be just what we are looking for...temperate climate, good school options, historic elements, looks great for hiking, biking and other outdoor pursuits and an added bonus my hubby plugged in a search for his ideal job and got a lot of hits in the area
One of my favorites...a vibrant, historic town center and home to a lot of country music stars (FWIW). If it looks like the Nashville area is your destiny, do check out Murphreesboro as well (my grandmother's hometown). Lovely "Mayberry-like" town square, neighborhoods and home to Middle Tennessee State U.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:28 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,238,552 times
Maybe Williamsburg, Virginia? I went there as a kid and I loved the colonial section. I thought that was so cool. Definitely a historic town.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:13 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,372,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Poughkeepsie, NY
What are our cutoffs here on population?

The Poughkeepsie metro area has 670,000 people.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:18 PM

23,076 posts, read 35,028,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Maybe Williamsburg, Virginia? I went there as a kid and I loved the colonial section. I thought that was so cool. Definitely a historic town.
Good suggestion, Rachael. So many people have the view that W'burg is all about tourism, but it's also a very livable city.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,547,987 times
How small and how big?
Small...Mt Airy, NC....had the walmart and such but it's out on the HWY.

Think Mayberry. We were able to get everything we wanted down on Main st

Waycross, Ga
Woodbine Ga
Talladega Al
Chattanooga Tn
Columbiana...tho it's getting too spread out for me

There's just so many.

Micanopy Fl
Crescent City Fl

Old 03-26-2009, 10:37 AM

11,881 posts, read 32,912,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
One of my favorites...a vibrant, historic town center and home to a lot of country music stars (FWIW). If it looks like the Nashville area is your destiny, do check out Murphreesboro as well (my grandmother's hometown). Lovely "Mayberry-like" town square, neighborhoods and home to Middle Tennessee State U.
Murfreesboro is a fast-growing city of over 100,000 (up from 70,000 in 2000) and is home to a university with over 23,000 students. I would not classify it as a "quaint historic small town."

An aerial view of downtown Murfreesboro:

Franklin could maybe qualify, but it's also one of the most expensive cities in Tennessee, has the largest shopping mall in the state, and is home to dozens of suburban office parks including the new headquarters for Nissan USA. It's probably more "quaint" than Murfreesboro, though.

In Tennessee, towns that I would consider to be quaint and historic and that don't have a Wal-Mart would be:

Jonesborough

Rogersville

Dandridge

Livingston

Old 03-26-2009, 01:17 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,565,147 times
there are a lot in northern california and new england...

you know...small towns where everybody isn't stupid and they have a sense of culture, everybody doesn't work at walmart and waffle house and kfc... etc.

I used to think I hated small towns growing up (FL, GA, AL, MS, LA)... but that is because I had only been to ones in the south as a kid and they were already run down and tired or scary religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or