U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 01:41 PM

84 posts, read 286,459 times

Advertisements

Mayberry is exactly what we want

As long as the "build up" is a few miles away that would be OK. In an areial of Franklin it looked like the town proper was surrounded by neighborhoods and not "stuff" - but maybe that was misleading ??

New England is too cold and expensive for us...although we love visiting! We LOVE northern California but the state politics might put my hubby over the edge.

We currently live in a town of about 10,000 - perfect for us - but could go either way as long as everything else fell into place. Schools are very important - so that will be a deciding factor. Anything over 50,000 would probably be too big.....but it all depends on how it's laid out. If the 50,000 were spread out over many miles but there was still a town center with the lovely old homes surrounding it that would be good.

Another concession we have to make is work - my hubby is an independant contracter in the IT field and usually those jobs tend to be in the popultated areas - however we live in the middle of nowhere right now and the company he works for is 1500 miles away - telecommuting is a great thing! Unfortunatley that contract is over next month......

I'll get to checking out the other suggestions! Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 02:19 PM

11,881 posts, read 32,920,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom1 View Post

As long as the "build up" is a few miles away that would be OK. In an areial of Franklin it looked like the town proper was surrounded by neighborhoods and not "stuff" - but maybe that was misleading ??

New England is too cold and expensive for us...although we love visiting! We LOVE northern California but the state politics might put my hubby over the edge.

We currently live in a town of about 10,000 - perfect for us - but could go either way as long as everything else fell into place. Schools are very important - so that will be a deciding factor. Anything over 50,000 would probably be too big.....but it all depends on how it's laid out. If the 50,000 were spread out over many miles but there was still a town center with the lovely old homes surrounding it that would be good.

Another concession we have to make is work - my hubby is an independant contracter in the IT field and usually those jobs tend to be in the popultated areas - however we live in the middle of nowhere right now and the company he works for is 1500 miles away - telecommuting is a great thing! Unfortunatley that contract is over next month......

I'll get to checking out the other suggestions! Thanks again!
Yeah I'm not sure if Franklin TN is someplace you would like, either. Franklin has 57,000 in its city, up from 42,000 in 2000. It's a very fast-growing city with a ton of suburban developments all around it. While its downtown is quaint and historic, the rest of the town is very much Suburbia.

Jonesborough and Rogersville TN might be worth checking out. They're both a few miles outside of larger towns and in the Tri Cities area which has over 500,000 in its metro area but whose largest town, Johnson City, has only 60,000. It's a very spread-out area with lots of small towns, mountains, lakes, and farms.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:54 PM

56,618 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Actually, Mt. Airy, NC is the town that Mayberry in the Andy Griffith Show was based off of.

mayberry days rfd in mount airy, north carolina - the andy griffith show nc

Mount Airy, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

City of Mount Airy Website

Old 03-26-2009, 06:16 PM

23,085 posts, read 35,044,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Murfreesboro is a fast-growing city of over 100,000 (up from 70,000 in 2000) and is home to a university with over 23,000 students. I would not classify it as a "quaint historic small town."

An aerial view of downtown Murfreesboro:

Franklin could maybe qualify, but it's also one of the most expensive cities in Tennessee, has the largest shopping mall in the state, and is home to dozens of suburban office parks including the new headquarters for Nissan USA. It's probably more "quaint" than Murfreesboro, though.

What has happened to the Tennessee I knew in my youth? God, I feel old.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:32 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,416,959 times
I know I already posted (I was the one who suggested looking into South Pasadena, CA) but I think in many ways it is because South Pasadena is located within a larger metro area (Los Angeles) but still very closely definined and really does feel like a smaller town. The smaller places just have more room for the sprawl to spread out. I used to live in a smallish Southern town with 12,000 people, and South Pas feels more like a community (like a Mayberry) than that place did. If you do decide that you need to be within or near a larger city with more jobs then I'd seriously give South Pasadena a look. Also Sierra Madre, another town in the LA area - it's in the foothills, has its own downtown, and feels quite quaint.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:46 PM

11,881 posts, read 32,920,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What has happened to the Tennessee I knew in my youth? God, I feel old.
haha It's ok. I definitely liked Murfreesboro when it was still a small town. I'm sorry to see what it's become, too.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:47 PM

108 posts, read 429,559 times
Petaluma, CA

Old 03-26-2009, 07:50 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,570,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checar View Post
Petaluma, CA
petaluma is 50k... Sebastopol perhaps And, he can commute down to the bay...

but, the north bay has a lot of small towns like that... (tis where I am moving)

Old 03-26-2009, 08:30 PM

20,849 posts, read 35,958,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom1 View Post

New England is not really cold compared to the Midwest. Check out Moultonborough with a low tax rate next to Lake Winnipesaukee. Being next to the lake keeps the temps more moderate. Average houses can have property taxes at 2K or even less.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:19 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,454,095 times
I grew up in a town like that and it's on this list: Texas Historical Commission You might try searching if other states have similar programs. Never mind, I did it for you: http://www.mainstreet.org/content.aspx?page=3564&section=15 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or