Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:44 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,893,039 times

Advertisements

anywhere in new england...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 02:26 AM

542 posts, read 985,723 times
Staunton, Va. or Lexington, Va. Both have well preserved historic downtowns. Staunton actually fits all the criteria except for the concerts downtown. Actually there are some in the summer, I never go though. There are the big box stores nearby but not downtown. The downtown of both cities are like enclaves, there is no one major big road that just ends up passing through, you actually have to find the downtown areas. I wouldn't say we are a warm climate area but also not a cold climate area either. We get the best of all four seasons with not too much excess in summer temps or snow. By the way I called them cities, just because they are zoned as such, but are much more like small towns.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:24 AM

23,319 posts, read 43,787,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom1 View Post
Keppela - I just revisited this thread and thought the same thing....warm = no or minscule amounts of snow and cold

Not that some of the cold weather towns mentioned don't look great - but alas if I wanted cold I woould stay put

Would like to hear more about Athens if anyone has good intel....
Actually, when I reread you requirements again, I wondered why I didn't mention my summer home of St Simons Island, GA. It pretty well fits your description of what you want, and its' nickname is "Mayberry By The Sea"

www.explorestsimonsisland.com

Old 07-23-2009, 08:40 PM

41 posts, read 104,742 times
I love Madison GA. I've considered moving there myself as I have a sister in Athens. It might be a little too quiet though for DH and myself at this time in our lives. I don't know what it's like for a family.

They don't have a movie theatre or Target, but they do have a WalMart and Lowe's, and downtown has boutique and antique shops and such.

There are multiple home tours each year and I go to every one. I love the homes and styles. This September will be a tour of "Cottages and Bungalows" which I'm really looking forward to.

It's very historic and peaceful there with a few new residential developments. But it's not over done like in other areas such as Athens and the 'burbs of Atlanta.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:14 PM

505 posts, read 1,380,744 times
Absolutely in New England. Travel anywhere outside of the main cities of New England, and you will find yourself in a small and most likely historic town, with a pretty center and colonial architecture and a town common if you are lucky.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 PM

84 posts, read 312,840 times
I'm glad this thread got revived again! I'll check out some of the new suggestions! We're heading to Tennessee next week to check out some potential areas there. Now that we have sold our house we are planning on taking the next year to check out lots of areas and hopefully get it right this time around!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:49 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,788,914 times
Try New Bern, NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.