U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2009, 03:57 PM

21,367 posts, read 19,297,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulster_Loyal View Post
Well said.

And i Agree with Deacon, I have had many a encounter with Germans who tried to look down on you. ( not all may i say but a good majority) go anywhere on holiday in Europe and their arrogance is unbelievable towards the locals of whatever country you are in,lets say greece for example.

Dont start with ''oh look another racist comment'' you need too see it with your own eyes.

And dont start with ''the Brits are just as bad'' because i know we are.
That is why I asked him where and under which circumstances he met all those unfriendly Germans. Everybody knows those tourists are terrible, they stake the best spots with their towels, drink and yell, they are an embarrassment to most Germans, who don't approve of their behavior at all. But they are a small minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 08:25 PM

5,721 posts, read 9,085,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
I thought Minnesota were full of Swedes
Swedes and Norwegians. People of Scandinavian decent actually make up an equal if not slightly larger ethnic group than Germans in the state of Minnesota. Learned this a while back when doing some research on that state.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:31 PM

948 posts, read 3,413,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Swedes and Norwegians. People of Scandinavian decent actually make up an equal if not slightly larger ethnic group than Germans in the state of Minnesota. Learned this a while back when doing some research on that state.

I thought so because as a Swede thats one thing I knew coming over here, that Minnesota was the state were most Swedish immigrants came to in the mid 1800 and early 1900 s. The author William Moberg wrote a series of books about almost an entire village moving from southern Sweden to Minnesota 1850 and how they became Americans. Very interesting.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:39 PM

5,857 posts, read 14,043,096 times
Quote:
I thought Minnesota were full of Swedes
Another stereotype. German ancestry is more predominant in MN than Swedish.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I thought so because as a Swede thats one thing I knew coming over here, that Minnesota was the state were most Swedish immigrants came to in the mid 1800 and early 1900 s. The author William Moberg wrote a series of books about almost an entire village moving from southern Sweden to Minnesota 1850 and how they became Americans. Very interesting.
Yes, my family also came over here from Sweden and Norway but settled in Connecticut and New York. Most have stayed in Sweden though.

In terms of overall % of ethnic groups the Scandinavians run neck in neck with Germans in most cities and towns in the state. There are a few places where the Irish are also a dominant ethnic group and up in the Iron Range some eastern European and Slavic peoples are still common. Came to the state to work in the mines up there.

Overall I think the German ethnic group does have an edge over the Scandinavians as a state average but there are many cities and towns in Minnesota where the Norwegians and Swedes are the dominant group.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:42 AM

948 posts, read 3,413,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Another stereotype. German ancestry is more predominant in MN than Swedish.

Eh, it is hardly a stereotype...? Or does all the history books in Sweden lie?

Old 03-26-2009, 09:51 AM

Germans and Scandinavians are very similar, I don't see what difference it makes regarding the topic. How about replacing German with Germanic?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Germans and Scandinavians are very similar, I don't see what difference it makes regarding the topic. How about replacing German with Germanic?
Scandinavians are Nordic and not Germanic. Findland is a perfect example of this as there is a mix of Swedes, Finns and even some Russian heredity in their country.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Scandinavians are Nordic and not Germanic. Findland is a perfect example of this as there is a mix of Swedes, Finns and even some Russian heredity in their country.
1. Finland is sometimes not even considered a part of Scandinavia. Their language is not Germanic, but ethnically they probably are mostly Germanic anyway.

2. The people of the real Scandinavian countries are Germanic. (Of course they are not purely Germanic, but then again, nor are Germans themselves, they are a mix of all kinds of peoples such as Celts, Slaves, Turks, Romans, etc.)

Old 03-26-2009, 10:46 AM

Technically we're all from the African continent. I seem to recall the earliest evidence of humans on this planet, if you believe science anyway, have been found in Africa. Humans then branched out from there to populate the globe.

Nordic people have a different look than Germanic peoples. Bone structure and facial features are different just like you will find such differences between the Irish and English peoples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or