U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 10:48 AM

5,861 posts, read 14,072,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Eh, it is hardly a stereotype...? Or does all the history books in Sweden lie?
Lots of Swedes in MN, but they are outnumbered by Germans on a statewide basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 12:49 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,609,939 times
Gee what a loaded question.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:12 PM

948 posts, read 3,417,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Germans and Scandinavians are very similar, I don't see what difference it makes regarding the topic. How about replacing German with Germanic?
We might look the similar but we are hardly similar culturally

Old 03-27-2009, 08:18 AM

21,572 posts, read 19,375,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
We might look the similar but we are hardly similar culturally
I have to disagree. Sure, if you look at Europe as if it were the entire world, then Scandinavians and Germans have different cultures. But on a worldwide scale they are basically the same. Scandinavia is from where Germanic peoples expanded into what is now Germany at the beginning of the first millennium BC, when Europe was still inhabited by Celtic and other peoples.

There is a seamless cultural transition between northern Germany and Scandinavia. Being German I could even learn Swedish within a few months, if I wanted to, which I don't. But a colleague of mine has moved from Southern Germany to Sweden for professional reasons and she said adapting was a snap because everything was already so familiar.

I guess some people WANT to see a big difference in order to stake their own identity, thus they blow little details in which they differ out of proportion.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:39 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,105,580 times
"When you're in love, the whole world is German".
-Albert Burkhalter

Old 03-27-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
"When you're in love, the whole world is German".
-Albert Burkhalter
What does he mean by that? That the whole world seams to speak German because you don't understand the world anymore?

Old 03-27-2009, 06:52 PM

3,567 posts, read 4,009,023 times
Well, I am a german. I moved to the U.S. some years ago. Kinda funny to read what people think we are or what we are not - even though they haven't been to Europe

There is a huge difference between Scandinavians and Germans. I don't know what makes people think there's not.

And no, a german can not learn swedish or whatever in a few months That would be dutch.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Well, I am a german. I moved to the U.S. some years ago. Kinda funny to read what people think we are or what we are not - even though they haven't been to Europe

There is a huge difference between Scandinavians and Germans. I don't know what makes people think there's not.

And no, a german can not learn swedish or whatever in a few months That would be dutch.
I totally disagree, the difference between Scandinavians and Germans (especially from the north) is not big at all. It is like that between the Spaniards and the Portuguese. Both these countries think the difference is big, but only because they want it to be big in order to define their respective identities. But to someone outside the peninsula those countries are very similar, and rightly so. The same goes for Scandinavians and Germans (and Austrians, and Dutch, and half the Swiss etc.), to someone outside Europe they are pretty much the same.
Maybe you cannot learn Swedish fast, others sure can

Old 03-27-2009, 08:39 PM

604 posts, read 1,668,224 times
My grandmother is German and very hardworking, but has the biggest heart. I think that Germans are honest people who dont bs, work hard and play hard, and would do anything for their family.

Im from the toronto area which is not nearly as german as america, and especially the midwest, but i wish it was.

Does MN have a lot of norweigans too?

Old 03-27-2009, 08:39 PM

3,567 posts, read 4,009,023 times
I don't know if you have been to Germany or one of the Scandinavian countries, but I have of course. And I can tell you that there is a difference, and swedish/german are totally different languages.

Kind of assuming you are german ( nickname ). But then you should know better.

By the way, I am not talking about the skin color. Just because there are blondes in both countries, dosent mean it's the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or