U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 11:37 AM

5,721 posts, read 9,085,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am a technical translator, I know where details are important - and where not. And yes, indeed, I am very left-wing We are focusing on what unites people, not what separates them... No McCarthy over here
Humans and Chimpanzees are over 98% genetically identical yet we're completely different. That proves my point.

Leftists typically force people into conforming and that is something that is a behavioral trait that many of us find disturbing and distasteful. Many of us prefer to keep our ability to think and act independently from the herd or mob if you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 11:46 AM

21,366 posts, read 19,293,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Humans and Chimpanzees are over 98% genetically identical yet we're completely different. That proves my point.

Leftists typically force people into conforming and that is something that is a behavioral trait that many of us find disturbing and distasteful. Many of us prefer to keep our ability to think and act independently from the herd or mob if you will.
Don't get personal. If you wish to discuss politics, feel free to do so in the respective threads.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:56 AM

Well, you made it personal when you started to claim that my ancestral heritage was essentially the same as yours. It's not.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:12 PM

We were specifically discussing German vs other cultures, there was nothing personal about that, unless someone wants to make something personal out of it the way you have done.
But what does leftist-bashing have to do with Germany or Scandinavia?

Old 03-29-2009, 12:30 PM

I guess I'm not very politically correct. Forgive me. Bashing? All I wanted to do was pin down your political leanings in an attempt to understand where you are coming from. Simply put, not all of us want to lose our personal identity or culture, OK?

Based upon the OP's Subject Line, the issue was to discuss German culture vs. OTHER cultures and the alleged superiority of the German culture in USA communities vs. other ethnic cultures in our cities and towns. It had NOTHING to do with the alleged genetic or cultural identity when comparing one European country vs. another.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I guess I'm not very politically correct. Forgive me. Bashing? All I wanted to do was pin down your political leanings in an attempt to understand where you are coming from. Simply put, not all of us want to lose our personal identity or culture, OK?

Based upon the OP's Subject Line, the issue was to discuss German culture vs. OTHER cultures and the alleged superiority of the German culture in USA communities vs. other ethnic cultures in our cities and towns. It had NOTHING to do with the alleged genetic or cultural identity when comparing one European country vs. another.
Fine with me. My personal identity comes from the things I do and achieve, that's how I define myself. Both my parents were adopted, I have no clue who my ancestors were, and I couldn't care less I already mentioned that I dislike the word 'stock' in the heading.

I don't think it is possible to reason for or against the alleged superiority of German communities in the USA without asking where that supposed superiority should have come from in the first place Thus I think the title makes it almost impossible to ignore and not to compare Germany and the other countries where those settlers had come from.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:01 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
I guess the Minnesota towns are nice if you want to live like William H. Macy in Fargo.
In truth, most of us German/Swedes in Minnesota are more like Gaear Grimsrud.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Fine with me. My personal identity comes from the things I do and achieve, that's how I define myself. Both my parents were adopted, I have no clue who my ancestors were, and I couldn't care less I already mentioned that I dislike the word 'stock' in the heading.

I don't think it is possible to reason for or against the alleged superiority of German communities in the USA without asking where that supposed superiority should have come from in the first place Thus I think the title makes it almost impossible to ignore and not to compare Germany and the other countries where those settlers had come from.
If you want to compare the immigrants and ancestors of Germany and Sweden already living in a place like Minnesota then it would be relevant to the topic at hand. I did not see it like that and clearly trying to compare the people in the countries of Sweden and Germany is like comparing apples to potatoes.

Obviously there has been intermarrying among different ethnic groups in the USA. Though in some ethnic groups marrying outside of their own ethnic group was discouraged. But in later generations it is more common and has lead to a more homogenized population in most areas of the country.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
If you want to compare the immigrants and ancestors of Germany and Sweden already living in a place like Minnesota then it would be relevant to the topic at hand. I did not see it like that and clearly trying to compare the people in the countries of Sweden and Germany is like comparing apples to potatoes.

Obviously there has been intermarrying among different ethnic groups in the USA. Though in some ethnic groups marrying outside of their own ethnic group was discouraged. But in later generations it is more common and has lead to a more homogenized population in most areas of the country.
I sure hope so. I have always found it weird when modern people are trying to draw a line between them and other ethnic groups, especially in immigrant countries such as the US. People who go there know they won't return to wherever they came from (apart from visits, that is). It was different with Turks coming to Germany decades ago, they thought they would return to Turkey after a few years or decades. But in the US or in Australia in my view immigrants should try to become and be decent Americans or Australians and contribute to building a common nation

Old 03-29-2009, 03:02 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,263,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
DeaconJ sounds like people who have only negative experiences with Blacks, Jews, Mexicans, Pakistanis etc. He will never have a nice thing to say. There are a lot of people like that in this world. It is a sad thing because they spread prejudice everywhere they go.

ABQConvict
Oh yes, the German people have been SO mistreated by the rest of the world. This is not nearly the same thing...Germans are the only group of people that have left me with this kind of negative impression, and have done so enough - 100% of the time - to bring a general impression on the entire group. Enough said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or