U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 07:56 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,769,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I know the post seems kind of crazy but it is a SERIOUS QUESTION.

I find that the primary ethnic group who dominates a community has a serious impact on the feel and culture of the community. The German's are somewhat tight, cold but smart and efficent. They have some nice towns all over the Midwest.
My Dad's side of the family is German- My Mom- French. My Mom- very social/friendly, outgoing worked w/teen runaways as a volunteer.

My Dad- engineer- brilliant in math- cold; judgemental. My brother is a surgeon- I am a writer. Couldn't get more different than that- in one family. It could be a generalization; but I have lived it- my grandmother (100% German) was also a neat-freak- she had sunstroke once cleaning her kitchen windows in the hot sun.

sunny

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 03-28-2007 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: sp add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 08:58 PM

414 posts, read 2,416,082 times
No cities dominated by people from German stock are not better.

I live in Northern Chicago Suburbs now and we have a lot of German decent. People tend to be not so friendly, very uptight and paranoid about anything and everything, extremely rule oriented, and there are 50,000 cops.

My town has 90 minute parking and there is a section for 3 hour parking and you need a coin for all day and permit section this and CBD that lol. I cannot park in the bank parking lot and then walk over to the Blockbuster without being a bit paranoid that my car might get some kind of violation or towed. Certainly if I left my car in that lot a few hours it would be towed. One day that I worked in the town and forgot my all day coins I ran out freaked and put my coins in the slot. Thankfully I did not get towed as I can simply not afford the 175 bucks + 25/day per storage. If a cop drives by I have to cross at the exact stop sign and there are oodles more stop signs than necessary in my town. Otherwise I would probably get J-walking.

Expect uptightness to run dealings at your bank and in other places. Rules are rules we close exactly on time and we don't like people who overdraft even once. And if people are actually nice they are sort of nice in that god fearing, upright, laughing at you for being so risky kind of way and for not being one of the do gooding compliant cogs like them. Or in the Chicago area there is also an interested mix of the brat hedonist/ consumption culture.

I have been honked at or looked at in disbelief quite a few times by Chicago area Germans for doing a decent/moderately safe California roll at a stop sign. I have never seen as many cops in suburbs in my life and if you disobey one single traffic law like turning into a slanted space on the other side of the street I had a lady in downtown Highland Park roll down her window and angrily tell me that did I know that I broke a traffic rule. Friends have gotten more tickets here than at home in other states.

Towns and businesses close down early and nothing is late. No Chicago walmarts are open past 10 pm at least not in the suburbs. Wendys and McDonalds and stuff like that none of it is ever 24 hours.

When a stop light turns green with German attentiveness and precision you will need to pull out from the light. Expect to have to do the same with your turn signal to properly comply with the rules of the great Village of Vernon Hills or what other overpriced, soulless, frozen prairie wasteland suburb have you.

If I stopped in front of someone's house I have to put four way flashers on and if I go down to look for my sunglasses or something I dropped, neighborhood watch may think it odd and call the policy. They will tow your car here faster than in other municipalities if you park it in the wrong place. The German lifestyle may have its benefits but for me its far too dreary, stifling, and rule oriented for me. Let me fricking go LOL. I love the South for not being so German.

Chicago is a bit more freewheeling but is bad enough. I couldn't imagine Sioux Falls or living in Wisconsin. I thought I was living in compliant, rule hell. My friends from the South and even back home in the Northeast think I'm all uptight when I go visit them.

Funny no Midwesterners are up in arms about the rule violations of having illegal aliens living in the neighboring town south or up north. I could go into a complex and be an INS officer and every single one of the people living in the huge 1000 person complex is a Mexican. All the staff at the nouveau riche arriviste restaurants or at fast food are Mexicans. I guess the greedy D bags with their modest looking overpriced homes want their cheap labor too. Well hell that goes on anywhere but for a people who is so good and rule oriented my patience wears thin.

Last edited by Jammie; 06-23-2007 at 11:07 PM..

Old 03-31-2007, 06:31 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,769,243 times
Question um---

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet1986 View Post
No cities dominated by people from German stock are not better.

I live in Northern Chicago Suburbs now and we have a lot of German decent. People tend to be not so friendly, very uptight and paranoid about anything and everything, extremely rule oriented, and there are 50,000 cops.

My town has 90 minute parking and there is a section for 3 hour parking and you need a coin for all day and permit section this and CBD that lol. I cannot park in the bank parking lot and then walk over to the Blockbuster without being a bit paranoid that my car might get some kind of violation or towed. Certainly if I left my car in that lot a few hours it would be towed. One day that I worked in the town and forgot my all day coins I ran out freaked and put my coins in the slot. Thankfully I did not get towed as I can simply not afford the 175 bucks + 25/day per storage. If a cop drives by I have to cross at the exact stop sign and there are oodles more stop signs than necessary in my town. Otherwise I would probably get J-walking.

Expect uptightness to run dealings at your bank and in other places. Rules are rules we close exactly on time and we don't like people who overdraft even once. And if people are actually nice they are sort of nice in that god fearing, upright, laughing at you for being so risky kind of way and for not being one of the do gooding compliant cogs like them. Or in the Chicago area there is also an interested mix of the brat hedonist/ consumption culture.

I have been honked at or looked at in disbelief quite a few times by Chicago area Germans for doing a decent/moderately safe California roll at a stop sign. I have never seen as many cops in suburbs in my life and if you disobey one single traffic law like turning into a slanted space on the other side of the street I had a lady in downtown Highland Park roll down her window and angrily tell me that did I know that I broke a traffic rule. Friends have gotten more tickets here than at home in other states.

Towns and businesses close down early and nothing is late. No Chicago walmarts are open past 10 pm at least not in the suburbs. Wendys and McDonalds and stuff like that none of it is ever 24 hours.

When a stop light turns green with German attentiveness and precision you will need to pull out from the light. Expect to have to do the same with your turn signal to properly comply with the rules of the great Village of Vernon Hills or what other overpriced, soulless, frozen prairie wasteland suburb have you.

If I stopped in front of someone's house I have to put four way flashers on and if I go down to look for my sunglasses or something I dropped, neighborhood watch may think it odd and call the policy. They will tow your car here faster than in other municipalities if you park it in the wrong place. The German lifestyle may have its benefits but for me its far too dreary, stifling, and rule oriented for me. Let me fricking go LOL. I love the South for not being so German.

Chicago is a bit more freewheeling but is bad enough. I couldn't imagine Sioux Falls or living in Wisconsin. I thought I was living in compliant, rule hell. My friends from the South and even back home in the Northeast think I'm all uptight when I go visit them.

Funny no Midwesterners are up in arms about the rule violations of having illegal aliens living in the neighboring town south or up north. I could go into a complex and be an INS officer and every single one of the people living in the huge 1000 person complex is a Mexican. All the staff at the nouveau riche arriviste restaurants or at fast food are Mexicans. I guess the greedy D bags with their modest looking overpriced homes want their cheap labor too. Well hell that goes on anywhere but for a people who is so good and rule oriented my patience wears thin.
I read this post over- but it still doesnt answer the question. Can you elaborate, please?

Old 03-31-2007, 11:21 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,864,128 times
I'm confused by that post as well. I grew up in the burbs too, the south burbs (but have lived in the city since I was 18, and I'm in my mid-thirties now) and quite frankly have no idea what wallstreet is talking about, as nothing about his or her experience mirrors mine.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:51 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,458,068 times
I've been told before from a very intelligent source that the German race is superior. I don't think that's really so and actually, I'm not quite sure just what is meant by that statement. My daughter was pleased when she heard that and kind of "rubbed" it in with her husband. It meant nothing to me.

My heritage on both sides is German, and I agree with the posters that many Germans especially those that still live in Germany have that not so friendly and overbearing attitude. My dad's side is (or was like that; most of them are deceased now) but my mom's side was not. My maternal grandparents came to the states when they were in their early 20s, my dad's parents stayed in Germany, my dad came to NY when he was 15, mom was born in NY, and the list goes on.

Anyway, dad was unfriendly and overbearing as were most of his siblings whether they stayed in the old country or came here. Mom and her parents were loads of fun and not overbearing. Mom's sister was a bit unfriendly and critical, so different from mom. So, that's two different stories about the Germans. I guess much has to do with how they're raised like with any nationality.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:23 PM

414 posts, read 2,416,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I'm confused by that post as well. I grew up in the burbs too, the south burbs (but have lived in the city since I was 18, and I'm in my mid-thirties now) and quite frankly have no idea what wallstreet is talking about, as nothing about his or her experience mirrors mine.
The question is no they are not.

Visit Highland Park or Lake Forest, Illinois. Wilmette, Winnetka, Kenilworth.

The south burbs are chill and cool. I like Park Forest and Matteson area.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:33 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,906,244 times
I have trouble understanding the nature of your question--you are not German; you are proposing this question because someone else brought it to your attention, and you then raise it here.

Does it serve any purpose other than to bring to the surface the differences rather than the positive attributes of people--generally.

And when reading your statement below, I just get more confused rather than edified.

Quote:
I know the post seems kind of crazy but it is a SERIOUS QUESTION.

I find that the primary ethnic group who dominates a community has a serious impact on the feel and culture of the community. The German's are somewhat tight, cold but smart and efficent. They have some nice towns all over the Midwest.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:20 PM

786 posts, read 4,318,782 times
My question is very clear. I have traveled to all 50 States and have seen 1000s of towns and the ones that were settled by the German people seem nicer. Just like Germany has the nicest towns in Europe. It is part of their culture to live in and develop nice communities.

Though this is just my opinion and was looking for other people's views.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:02 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,906,244 times
We are all entitled to our opinion. I'll leave you with yours and just say I totally disagree!

Quote:
My question is very clear. I have traveled to all 50 States and have seen 1000s of towns and the ones that were settled by the German people seem nicer. Just like Germany has the nicest towns in Europe. It is part of their culture to live in and develop nice communities.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:12 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,638,950 times
Quote:

I don't think the question is clear, I think your wording is vague. German towns are "nicer" ? That could mean many different things. The thread title uses the word "better". So the answer to your question would vary greatly depending on people's opinions of what makes a "good" or "nice" city.

For what it's worth, I have no German ancestry, nor does the area I grew up in have much. But I've also heard the widely shared opinion that Germans are known for their efficiency, precision, and hard work. I wouldn't say that makes them better, or superior in general though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or