U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 03:03 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sorry, but I just don't believe you. I am convinced the problem lies with you. What more can I say?
Tell us where you met those "many" (how many?) Germans and under which circumstances. Were you a GI stationed in Germany?
Sorry, but I don't care what you think. Aren't you just another typical German?

I have never been to Germany. I have met Germans in Atlanta, Vancouver, London, New York, Boston, San Francisco, L.A., Miami, and in my other travels. It doesn't affect me in any way whether you believe it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 03:08 PM

21,366 posts, read 19,297,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Sorry, but I don't care what you think. Aren't you just another typical German?

I have never been to Germany. I have met Germans in Atlanta, Vancouver, London, New York, Boston, San Francisco, L.A., Miami, and in my other travels. It doesn't affect me in any way whether you believe it or not.
Fine with me, I don't want to take your beloved stereotypes from you if you are so happy with them Especially when taking into consideration your ample experience in Germany.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:51 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Oh yes, the German people have been SO mistreated by the rest of the world.
What does this have to do with anything I said, at all?

You are reading a lot into what has been posted here by various people which makes sense due to your stereotyping and uncouth prejudices.

ABQConvict

Old 05-07-2009, 09:18 AM

659 posts, read 1,835,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
I guess the Minnesota towns are nice if you want to live like William H. Macy in Fargo.

As for many of us in America, a town is nice if it is family oriented and people are outside when its warm. Nice towns have people that are lively and passionate about what they do and life in general. Block parties and great food. To many of us, a spotless German neighborhood/town of reserved people is boring, and does not even hold a candle to the more energetic Brazilian and Italian neighborhoods.
this doesn't seem boring to be lol (sprockets from snl)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/162/4...8a183969_o.jpg

Old 05-07-2009, 09:25 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,342,075 times
I always thought Minnesota had more ppl of Scandinavian stock.. specifically Swedes and Norwegians.. When I think German.. I think Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:12 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
I always thought Minnesota had more ppl of Scandinavian stock.. specifically Swedes and Norwegians.. When I think German.. I think Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Wisconsin.
the top 5 ancestry goups that are claimed by Minnesotans:
German- 38%
Norwegian- 17%
Irish- 12%
Swedish- 10%

Old 05-07-2009, 03:16 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,342,075 times
That is a very interesting statistic.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:18 PM

7,592 posts, read 9,444,553 times
Default You're basically on track..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
..but while Minnesota is known for having a high percentage of Scandinavians in its population, in sheer numbers it has a larger German population. Minnesota does have one of the nation's highest percentages of Scandinavians among all the states, with neighboring states such as the Dakotas, Wisconsin and Washington having good numbers, too.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:11 PM

481 posts, read 1,636,841 times
As a German/Norwegian from Minnesota I'm a bit leary of looking to race. Obviously there is a contribution from shared religious and cultural values, but every culture and race can produce wonderful, well-run cities. And while I love my native Minneapolis dearly, its a bit "starchy" and could use more people who "know how to live" and not just "want to be respectable and live responsibly".

Here's my take: the "better organized" cities so often cited do have one or two things in common; they were settled at a time when entire villages or urban neighborhoods, entire extended family units would move at the same time and to the same place. This makes for a more cohesive society, and one where people would look out for their neighbors because of family or historical ties. These are the communities (predominately in the upper mid-west) which were settled in great numbers in the "second wave" which ran from around 1870-1910.

Also, starting mid-19th century, democratic ideas had gained greater popularity in Europe, leading to repressions (such as 1848 in Germany) and mass discontent, with mass immigration as a consequence. The depopulation of the peasant classes in the Scandinavian countries was so severe at the time that it sparked major reforms in governance in an attempt to pacify the general population. So communities settled during the 2nd wave of mass European immigration would have stronger feelings for democracy and community than earlier settlers.

Given these two factors, you could also make a strong case that there would be less social stratification in the 2nd wave as well. Fewer opportunists looking to get rich at other's expense, fewer 2nd sons of landed gentry looking to carve out a plantation economy, and perhaps on the other end fewer criminals, desparate souls and predators.

That so many were German was just a matter of historical accident. Germany (and the Scandinavian countries, particularly Norway and Sweden) were just not good places to live at the time, not with Bismark running around with all his wars and the Juenkers making a killing selling rye to foreign markets in the middle of a famine, and the gripping poverty felt all around but especially in Norway & Sweden, and here are these wonderful passenger ships offering a chance at a new life and all those wonderful letters from Uncle Karl in New Ulm and Aunt Ida in Madison seem oh so very compelling.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 PM

943 posts, read 2,780,065 times
I believe that the common culture of German Immigration did have a huge impact on the positive culture of communities. If you want to look at another example notice the difference between Southern and Northern Brazil. In southern Brazil there are many people of German stock and in Northern Brazil most people are Black, the cities vary significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or