U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 03:42 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,716,813 times

Advertisements

It might also be pointed out that there are quotes from the 18th and 19th century by notables such as Lincoln and Franklin concerning how Scandinavians and Germans develop well-organized and successful settlements are should be regarded as model Americans.

Also, having grown up as an outsider in an Italian/Brazilian neighborhood (Mt. Vernon, NY) I can tell, you those neighborhoods may be fun, but only if you are Italian or Brazilian. Good people, don't get me wrong, but the Germans don't have the market cornered on xenophobia.

ABQConvict
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 10:45 PM

21,362 posts, read 19,293,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I believe that the common culture of German Immigration did have a huge impact on the positive culture of communities. If you want to look at another example notice the difference between Southern and Northern Brazil. In southern Brazil there are many people of German stock and in Northern Brazil most people are Black, the cities vary significantly.
True, but the further south you go in Brazil, the less Brazilian it gets in terms of culture. Porto Alegre is not really Brazil anymore in terms of feeling. Bahia on the other hand is the cultural cradle of Brazil. Its economy is weaker, for the time being at least, but it has been growing way above the national average for years as the region is shedding its agricultural slave-based past, which is similar to that of the southern US states.

And São Paulo, in many respects the nation's undisputed leader, is largely Italian and Portuguese, not German or Nordic in general.

Where Germans flock, things always tend to get a bit dull and boring in my opinion, things may work well, but there is something missing. Germans are best mixed with other ethnic groups who give the community some heart and soul.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:41 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,571,504 times
I'm German and a neat freak, hmmm never knew that was a "German" thing....

Old 05-11-2009, 01:05 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,880,155 times
I'd have to say that every german settled town I have been to is very clean and well preserved. Even when traveling in europe I noticed this along with switzerland.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:22 AM

1,954 posts, read 4,503,111 times
Well, according to this ranking cities with people of German stock rate highest.

City Mayors: Best cities in the world (Mercer)

Old 03-29-2010, 10:12 AM

985 posts, read 3,261,375 times
Default Deutsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I grew up in Iowa and Minnesota and found the towns in those States to be very nice.

I asked somebody one time why the small towns in Minnesota were so much nicer than most cities in America. The person replied that it was due to a German influence in Minnesota. Many of the small and mid sized towns in Minnesota were settled by the German immigrants. They brought their own culture to the towns. This culture included being neat, clean and efficent. Germans were also known as very hard workers and disciplined. The number of people in Minnesota who are German stock is still very high..

I wonder what impact the German people had on setting the culture of many towns in America. I suspect that their influence is still felt.

(I have no German blood myself)
I agree that they are generally neat, clean and efficient. It seems to be a cultural thing.
Same thing in France. Alsace in general is more neat, clean and efficient compared to other parts of France. Possibly due to their German heritage. It's just a guess though.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:42 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,871,789 times
My parents are both German by ancestry and I can tell you, having every single thing you do dissected and corrected to make it more efficient gets old real damn quick. I mean, they're right...their way is quicker and more efficient but still...who wants to be around that all the time? It's soul crushing.

Not very happy people either.

I still think German-Mexican is a good mix.

Course that's what my kids are so I'm completely biased.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,871,789 times
I know quite a few German Americans (and a few German people from Germany) and none of them think they're superior because of their race. On the other hand I know LOADS of people (with apparently little actual exposure to anyone German) that think every single German person has a superiority complex.

It' pretty funny when you think about it.
Not sure what that actually means in the larger context of the discussion but...something to consider.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:14 AM

5,721 posts, read 9,084,153 times
You have to give credit where credit is due. They have an excellent track record at getting the trains to run on time.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:48 AM

161 posts, read 637,344 times
What kind of Aryan crap is this? Because a town was settled 100+ years ago by a handful of Germans, the towns are of better stock? Didn't our grandfathers already prove this Eugenics nonsense to be ridiculous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or