U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 04:04 PM

15,541 posts, read 17,778,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
What kind of Aryan crap is this? Because a town was settled 100+ years ago by a handful of Germans, the towns are of better stock? Didn't our grandfathers already prove this Eugenics nonsense to be ridiculous?
Where in this thread was it stated that the stock of people was better. Read more carefully so you don't go putting your foot in your mouth.

The assertion was that: People of German stock found/run cities well.

Not that: People of German stock are better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 04:24 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,805,042 times
Hmmm ...

Chicago - Irish, Polish, German, and African-American. A nice city, so can't strictly say it is just because of the Germans ...

NYC - a whole rainbow of people have made their mark on this city, and it is the biggest and most famous city in the USA. It's a cultural center of the world, as noted by the UN.

Seattle - if we're strictly talking roots, Scandanavians settled here. It's a really beautiful city, though most of the progress has been in the last 50 years, and by that time, it is the modern post WWII era.

It really depends on what you consider "nice". I've been to these cities (and many more, I don't feel like writing them all) and I consider them all "nice."

Old 03-30-2010, 08:56 PM

20,864 posts, read 36,004,584 times
The small cities and rural areas of the Upper Midwest are a prime example. That area always struck me as orderly, clean, and efficient with fairly low levels of poverty. A bit more entreprenurial compared to the Lower Midwest for sure!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:58 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,878,443 times
I wonder if there are any large cities like that still around?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 PM

20,864 posts, read 36,004,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
I wonder if there are any large cities like that still around?
I know St. Louis and Milwaukee both have a fairly large segment of the metro population that identifies as having German ancestry.
Hays, KS was originally settled by Volga Germans almost exclusively in the 1870s, and the city is still about 2/3 to 3/4 German. It is a pretty orderly place with a University.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:07 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,100,738 times
I think this belief that people of German ancestry are more neat and orderly than other cultures is absurd. I've lived in enough American German communities to know that is anything but the case. In fact, one of the companies where I've been a daily visitor for the last four years is German owned and anything BUT efficient. They are among the most disorganized and inefficiently run businesses I've ever seen.

You can find many neat and efficient communities in areas of the country where there are few if any people of German heritage. I've lived in a couple of them in New England.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:29 AM

985 posts, read 3,265,136 times
Default Deutshe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I think this belief that people of German ancestry are more neat and orderly than other cultures is absurd. I've lived in enough American German communities to know that is anything but the case. In fact, one of the companies where I've been a daily visitor for the last four years is German owned and anything BUT efficient. They are among the most disorganized and inefficiently run businesses I've ever seen.

You can find many neat and efficient communities in areas of the country where there are few if any people of German heritage. I've lived in a couple of them in New England.
From a European point of view, Germans generally are indeed the most neat, tidy and organized. And it's not Germans themselves who primarily say that, but other nationalities too. I've been to a number of European countries (Germany, Holland, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, France, Italy, Spain, Greece, poland, Latvia) and I also have to agree with them. It just seems to be a cultural thing. Of course there is no lack of sloppy Germans, but all in all Germans are pretty orderly.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:33 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,100,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
From a European point of view, Germans generally are indeed the most neat, tidy and organized. And it's not Germans themselves who primarily say that, but other nationalities too. I've been to a number of European countries (Germany, Holland, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, France, Italy, Spain, Greece, poland, Latvia) and I also have to agree with them. It just seems to be a cultural thing. Of course there is no lack of sloppy Germans, but all in all Germans are pretty orderly.
Interesting. I come from a European family and have family and friends from other European nations and I don't ever recall ever hearing anyone mention how much more efficient and neat Germans and German communities are when compared to the rest of Europe. And this includes the family and people that I know in Europe. Thanks for setting me straight.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:59 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,976,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm from German ancestry. It has been my experience that a lot of them are not very friendly. Just my opinion. I'm also of Irish ancestry, and that side of the family is fun with a great sense of humor. The German side has no sense of humor whatsoever.
You hit the nail on the head with the Irish comment.
I'm half Irish, and that side of the family is a lot more fun to hang out with. My Italian side is fun, but they're a little more "up-tight" I guess.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:55 AM

15,541 posts, read 17,778,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Interesting. I come from a European family and have family and friends from other European nations and I don't ever recall ever hearing anyone mention how much more efficient and neat Germans and German communities are when compared to the rest of Europe. And this includes the family and people that I know in Europe. Thanks for setting me straight.
Really? It is probably the most overdone stereotype in Europe. The Brits in particular like to stress it whether it is true or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or