U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:44 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times

Advertisements

I would say Italian influenced cities are the best (NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago and SF)

And when they have both Italian and Irish influence (NYC, Boston, Philadelphia and Chicago) - even better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 04:50 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,670,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I would say Italian influenced cities are the best (NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago and SF)

And when they have both Italian and Irish influence (NYC, Boston, Philadelphia and Chicago) - even better
Yeah but when those cities were founded they were probably less then 10% Italian.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:34 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,450,720 times
You'd be surprised at the number of Germans in Chicago!

Also, Poles.

Germans did a bang up job with Cincinnati though.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:35 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,780,713 times
... jawohl

Old 04-25-2010, 06:10 PM

521 posts, read 1,145,924 times
Anyone read this article on New Geography. Seems it is germane (no pun intended!) to the topic on hand in this thread.

snippet:

Quote:
In fact, lack of ethnic diversity may have much to do with what allows these places to be “progressive”. It's easy to have Scandinavian policies if you have Scandinavian demographics. Minneapolis-St. Paul, of course, is notable in its Scandinavian heritage; Seattle and Portland received much of their initial migrants from the northern tier of America, which has always been heavily Germanic and Scandinavian.

In comparison to the great cities of the Rust Belt, the Northeast, California and Texas, these cities have relatively homogenous populations. Lack of diversity in culture makes it far easier to implement “progressive” policies that cater to populations with similar values; much the same can be seen in such celebrated urban model cultures in the Netherlands and Scandinavia. Their relative wealth also leads to a natural adoption of the default strategy of the upscale suburb: the nicest stuff for the people with the most money. It is much more difficult when you have more racially and economically diverse populations with different needs, interests, and desires to reconcile.
full text:

The White City | Newgeography.com

BTW, in a city like Philadelphia, which now incorporates within its borders parts that were separate cities back in the 1700s, such as Germantown, you can see that what impacts the "niceness" of a city or an area within a city is not whether its inhabitants are of Germanic stock, but whether they are rich enough to afford the niceties of life... Germantown used to be a very nice town, established by German-speaking immigrants back in 1700s...over the years, it was a nice part of Philadelphia, but now, it's kinda in the ghetto. The ghetto happened because the folks (black, mostly) with little money moved in, or ghetto happened because the ones with more means moved out? Are the poor folk uncaring now and only the rich folk care about where they live? I don't think so.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:54 PM

184 posts, read 383,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm from German ancestry. It has been my experience that a lot of them are not very friendly. Just my opinion. I'm also of Irish ancestry, and that side of the family is fun with a great sense of humor. The German side has no sense of humor whatsoever.
There ya go! I so agree. I, too have German and Irish heritage. The German side is not friendly, intolerant of others and judgemental. The Irish side is happy, laid back and not the least bit judgemental.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:05 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,620,301 times
Maybe instead of "better" the word should be "different". German dominated cities are "different" from, say, French dominated cities. They would reflect their cultura lheritage and you would appreciate them according to your preference.
I grew up in an area wher several small towns in close proximity had different ethnic domination. Italian, Welsh, German, and English. Very interesting. Each different. The German community was, indeed, the tidiest and most organized and progressive. The Italian, very cheerful, lively, and food-oriented. The Welsh, a bit less civic-minded than the other two, but more willing to "mind their own business" and keep to themselves while being good solid citizens. Whatever floats your boat.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:12 AM

5,721 posts, read 9,087,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot66 View Post
There ya go! I so agree. I, too have German and Irish heritage. The German side is not friendly, intolerant of others and judgemental. The Irish side is happy, laid back and not the least bit judgemental.
I agree completely.

I've lived in a variety of communities in ten states in the USA and after doing some research into the ethnic groups in each of these communities I was finally able to determine that the worst experiences and least friendly places were all heavily populated by people of German descent. This largely explains the problems I've had in the Kansas City area over the years. The only exception to this rule would be a couple of the places in Minnesota where I lived. But that is because the Norwegian and Swedish descendants in those communities either equaled or exceeded (as a percentage of the total population) the people of German ancestry.

The next time I make a move, I am going to be certain that I can find a community where people of German ancestry are not overwhelmingly the dominant ethnic group.

I've found the most friendly communities are where the Irish, English, Italian and French are the most dominant ethnic groups. Hell, even when I've lived in inner city locations in some cities where the dominant ethnic groups were non caucasian I've had less trouble than in every area but one in the Kansas City area.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:37 PM

184 posts, read 383,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I agree completely.

I've lived in a variety of communities in ten states in the USA and after doing some research into the ethnic groups in each of these communities I was finally able to determine that the worst experiences and least friendly places were all heavily populated by people of German descent. This largely explains the problems I've had in the Kansas City area over the years. The only exception to this rule would be a couple of the places in Minnesota where I lived. But that is because the Norwegian and Swedish descendants in those communities either equaled or exceeded (as a percentage of the total population) the people of German ancestry.

The next time I make a move, I am going to be certain that I can find a community where people of German ancestry are not overwhelmingly the dominant ethnic group.

I've found the most friendly communities are where the Irish, English, Italian and French are the most dominant ethnic groups. Hell, even when I've lived in inner city locations in some cities where the dominant ethnic groups were non caucasian I've had less trouble than in every area but one in the Kansas City area.
You got that right. I was raised in the uppermidwest, lots of Germans. It was very hard to make new friends. Then we went to Texas and Florida and what a world of difference. Most of the people in the South, are Irish and English. They tell you their life stories the first time you meet them. I love it. I agree about Italians too. They aren't afraid to make friends. They're not afraid of people, period, lol.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:48 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,961,646 times
Icelandic cities are the best! Walhalla, North Dakota doesn't even have any sex offenders. When was the last time you heard of Iceland causing anyone problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or