U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2007, 03:18 PM

48,305 posts, read 45,597,478 times

Advertisements

Just because a city is dominated by German stock doesn't make it better. Milwaukee has a very large German-American population and it's murder rate is comparable to that of Atlanta. It depends. If it is a small town or small city, those places may be orderly no matter who is running it. Larger cities tend to have more disorder because they are simply that "large".
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 04:36 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,918,613 times
Missouri has TONS of people with German ancestry. Missouri, Minnesota, and Iowa are made up heavily of people with German and French ancestry and are among my favorite states in both the midwest and the country. I think it makes these states quite pleasurable places. Plus St. Louis is heavily dominated by German ancestry (my family is 70% German), and I think it's an awesome city. So in short, yes...cities and states with heavy German influence are better. Long live the Fatherland! (minus Hitler and the nazis)

Old 06-22-2007, 07:16 PM

5,861 posts, read 14,068,841 times
US cities with the strongest German heritage are Milwaukee, St Louis and Cincinnatti. Are they nicer than other cities? What do >you< think? (If one of them is your home town, your vote doesn't count! )

Old 06-22-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
US cities with the strongest German heritage are Milwaukee, St Louis and Cincinnatti. Are they nicer than other cities? What do >you< think? (If one of them is your home town, your vote doesn't count! )
Well, you can't blame a guy for showing a little loyalty

Old 06-23-2007, 01:20 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,287,351 times
I enjoyed my trip to Wisconsin last month. Good governance abounds, clean restrooms, and so on.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:03 AM

786 posts, read 4,323,705 times
Default The people committing crimes are generally not German

People mentioned the crime and poverty in many Midwestern Cities that are dominated by German Stock. Look at who is committing these crimes and it is not the people who trace their background to Germany.

Old 06-23-2007, 01:07 PM

123 posts, read 347,588 times
Areas with heavy German settlement were, at one time, clean, prosperous and orderly. It's good to sprinkle in a few Italians and Scotch-Irish and Irish, though --- so there's some enjoyment of life, too.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:05 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,809,091 times
Germans were actually the leading ancestry in the United States. They made up 18 percent of the American population. I would say that MOST American cities are German dominated. Just check out CD stats, more likely than not, your town is likely to be dominated by German Americans unless you live in the Northeast and a coupe sections of the South. The leading European ancestry in my town (south) was Italian American, but Germans came in second place.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-by-County.svg
German American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honestly, I can not answer the question as to if cities dominated by Germans were better than others, because so many American cities are dominated by Germans, whether you realize it or not! And, like most American cities, some are better than others.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:50 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,379,158 times
Ok, I have to get my two cents in here. I am 100% Scandinavian and from Minnesota. Scandinavians have pretty much defined the culture and the state...

Quote:
Minnesota probably owes more to Scandinavians than to any other one foreign group. They came from countries where illiteracy was extremely low. Their traditions were of thrift, respect for both intellectual and physical effort, and interest in government, and they combined to an unusual degree love of individual freedom and talent for co-operating with their neighbors. Swedes, Norwegians, and Danes have cleared Minnesota's land, built up its agriculture and dairying, laid its railroads, endowed many colleges, organized and supported its co-operatives, and contributed outstandingly to the cultural and industrial life. During the eighties their combined numbers made up half of all the foreign-born in the State. Now, when the proportion of the foreign-born has been reduced from 71 to only a little more than 15 percent, almost half of that number continues to be Scandinavian, and there is not an industry, profession, or art in which the repeated occurrence of Scandinavian names does not bespeak this people's participation. In the field of politics Governors Lind, Johnson, Nelson, Olson, Congressman Lindbergh, and many lesser-known Scandinavian figures have had a large share in Minnesota's story.
Minnesota Guide

My last name has "son" in it.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Germans were actually the leading ancestry in the United States. They made up 18 percent of the American population. I would say that MOST American cities are German dominated. Just check out CD stats, more likely than not, your town is likely to be dominated by German Americans unless you live in the Northeast and a coupe sections of the South. The leading European ancestry in my town (south) was Italian American, but Germans came in second place.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-by-County.svg
German American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honestly, I can not answer the question as to if cities dominated by Germans were better than others, because so many American cities are dominated by Germans, whether you realize it or not! And, like most American cities, some are better than others.
A couple sections of the South not being dominated by German ancestry is putting it mildly. One of your maps shows roughly the entire South not having any German ancestry. Florida has the German ancestry likely due to the large amount of Northerners who immigrated there. And Texas and Oklahoma have people from all over the country residing there now and these two states also are not exactly what I'd consider your ideal Southern states. Other than these three states, which are unusual for Southern states, you can clearly tell that Deep South and Upper South besides Florida have roughly no German ancestry at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or