U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 03:27 PM

48,284 posts, read 45,576,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
A couple sections of the South not being dominated by German ancestry is putting it mildly. One of your maps shows roughly the entire South not having any German ancestry. Florida has the German ancestry likely due to the large amount of Northerners who immigrated there. And Texas and Oklahoma have people from all over the country residing there now and these two states also are not exactly what I'd consider your ideal Southern states. Other than these three states, which are unusual for Southern states, you can clearly tell that Deep South and Upper South besides Florida have roughly no German ancestry at all.
West Virginia and Maryland has some sizeable populations of German descent(and I'm not talking about people from out of state).
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 05:45 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,915,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
West Virginia and Maryland has some sizeable populations of German descent(and I'm not talking about people from out of state).
That may be so but the Germans obviously aren't the majority in these states and there's nothing to suggest they once were. Also West Virginia and Maryland I'm not sure could be classified as truly Southern states.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:44 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,702,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I know the post seems kind of crazy but it is a SERIOUS QUESTION.

I find that the primary ethnic group who dominates a community has a serious impact on the feel and culture of the community. The German's are somewhat tight, cold but smart and efficent. They have some nice towns all over the Midwest.
Hey, dingler, I am NOT tight nor cold.....awwwww....am I??? *sniffle sniffle....puppy eyes*

I watched a tv show a while back, and found it very interesting.
We have a "system" in all over europe on "how" a village should be build.
It's a system working for europe since THOUSANDS of years!
If you look at pictures, flying in an airplane over any european country, you will see how it is all layed out.
The early european settlers, coming here to the US, I guess tried to re-enact and re-create the layout just like it is in europe.
It is so aparent, if older pictures from the US are viewed and compared with new ones.
For whatever reason, this "system" is not being used anymore in todays building and development strategies.
Why? shucks, I missed that part.....*sigh*

Old 06-24-2007, 08:29 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,804,362 times
Quote:
A couple sections of the South not being dominated by German ancestry is putting it mildly. One of your maps shows roughly the entire South not having any German ancestry. Florida has the German ancestry likely due to the large amount of Northerners who immigrated there. And Texas and Oklahoma have people from all over the country residing there now and these two states also are not exactly what I'd consider your ideal Southern states. Other than these three states, which are unusual for Southern states, you can clearly tell that Deep South and Upper South besides Florida have roughly no German ancestry at all.
The south did not have "no German ancestry at all" but rather much of the south was dominated by African American groups or did not know thier ethnicity, so reported "American". So yes, it was wrong of me to say "A few sections of the south", but they do exist there, even in towns without transplants. I guess I should of said the Northeast and Southeast (Excluding Florida). Also, have you ever heard of "Texas German?". They certainly were established in Texas, to the point of forming thier own dialect of German in the 19th century!

Old 06-24-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
The south did not have "no German ancestry at all" but rather much of the south was dominated by African American groups or did not know thier ethnicity, so reported "American". So yes, it was wrong of me to say "A few sections of the south", but they do exist there, even in towns without transplants. I guess I should of said the Northeast and Southeast (Excluding Florida). Also, have you ever heard of "Texas German?". They certainly were established in Texas, to the point of forming thier own dialect of German in the 19th century!
I never said the South had no German ancestry at all, quit putting words in my mouth. What I said was that in general it did not have a whole lot of German ancestry compared to the other parts of the country.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:48 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,804,362 times
"you can clearly tell that Deep South and Upper South besides Florida have roughly no German ancestry at all."

I apologize, I should of realized you only mentioned the Deep and Upper South. I do not look at Texas as being a part of the deep south. And it would be correct to say that some towns in Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia really lack any form of German ancestry.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
"you can clearly tell that Deep South and Upper South besides Florida have roughly no German ancestry at all."

I apologize, I should of realized you only mentioned the Deep and Upper South. I do not look at Texas as being a part of the deep south. And it would be correct to say that some towns in Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia really lack any form of German ancestry.
I always thought that the South (which I define as the Deep and Upper South) was much more dominated by English and French ancestry. Virginia, Kentucky, South Carolina, North Carolina...pretty much all of the Southeast I would bet take on a great many more U.K. or French ancestors than other regions. Yea...I never considered Texas or Oklahoma to be part of the Deep South or Upper South. Those states are Southern plains states. I also don't consider Maryland to be part of the South either and West Virginia to me is also pretty questionable...it seems to be a whole mish-mash of things at once.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:46 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,065,159 times
Quote:
Actually, parts of the South were settled by large numbers of Germans, notably Fredericksburg TX (San Antonio area), Louisville, Houston, and Mecklinburg County, NC (Charlotte). New Orleans had large numbers of Germans in the city in the early 20th Century. tru about FL--all the Germans there now came from somewhere else in the past 50 years.

Also, someone mentioned not many Germans in the NE--Check out Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Rochester, and large numbers settled in NYC (but didn't dominate, as so many various groups settled there.) There were old German neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Manhattan and Bronx.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:57 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,065,159 times
Quote:
I always thought that the South (which I define as the Deep and Upper South) was much more dominated by English and French ancestry. Virginia, Kentucky, South Carolina, North Carolina...pretty much all of the Southeast I would bet take on a great many more U.K. or French ancestors than other regions. Yea...I never considered Texas or Oklahoma to be part of the Deep South or Upper South. Those states are Southern plains states. I also don't consider Maryland to be part of the South either and West Virginia to me is also pretty questionable...it seems to be a whole mish-mash of things at once.
I agree on the UK, not on France. The only parts of the South with signifacnt French ancestry are Louisana and adjacent Gulf coastal areas in MS and TX (i.e., the Cajuns who came from Nova Scotia), and the Charleston SC area (Hueguenot settlement). Areas in the US with the most French ancestry would be New England, with smaller numbers in the Upper Midwest. (Even some in Western NY. Some of my ancestors emmigrated there from Alsace, currently a French province that has switched back and forth to Germany in the past several centuries.)

Old 06-25-2007, 12:06 PM

5,642 posts, read 17,326,782 times
I read once that more caucasian americans can claim german as part of their ancestry more than any other country of origin. I forget the percentage.

So I am saying that by odds that would be a yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or