Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 04:23 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Yes...it's called the superiority of the Aryan race. There was some big war over it a long time ago and the Germans proved their superiority without a doubt - twice.

I was born in a city the was founded by Germans and has a noticeable cultural influence...but I'm of French descent. Am I superior by association?

Germany didn't start ww1.........................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:48 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
Germany didn't start ww1.........................
I am aware of the events that led to both WWI and WWII. I didn't accuse Germany of starting anything.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:52 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I hope you were joking in the beginning of your post. It's hard to tell online.

Most members who have read and responded to my posts - or anyone else's for that matter - would be able to pick up on the sarcasm right away. I hope you weren't serious in saying that you weren't sure...it's hard to tell online...

Old 03-20-2009, 07:41 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think it's not so much German ethnicity but their Lutheran religious beliefs, which they have in common with Scandanavians. From looking at both religious adherence maps and ancestry maps, I am struck by the concentration of both German people and religious adherents in the Upper Midwest. The difference being these religious people are conservative but in a less 'red' way than Southerners...i.e. the fact they don't have the death penalty in those states.

Lutherans have always seemed peace-loving, friendly and mostly decent people, with a strong ethic of helping those in need, but also to 'live and let live' and not impose their values on others like in other parts of the country. So in a way, yes, it has something to do with their ethnicity/nationality. The same can be seen in say Mormon or Amish communities. Very nice people even today (even sometimes creepily so!).
Much of Germany is dominated by Catholics (Bavaria for instance, where some my ancestors are from...). The culture of Southern Germany has had some differences from Northern Germany also (I've generally found Southern Germans warmer than Northern Germans, though I find neither to really be "cold" as some call them).

Old 03-20-2009, 09:14 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
[color="RoyalBlue"][b]I've been told before from a very intelligent source that the German race is superior.
You seem to be thinking about Hitler. These kinds of statements always pop up when talking about the characteristics of the German "race." I guess old habits die hard!

Old 03-20-2009, 11:55 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Milwaukee has/had a large German population. [...] many were racist, rigid, narrow-minded, one-dimensional, lacking a good sense of humor, introverted, regimented, and sour.
Yeah, but I could say the same thing about my Italian-American neighborhood in NY. The same goes for Chinese neighborhoods. The Irish, too. One minute they're going on about being victims, the next they are pummeling your face for saying 'hello' to their sister.

People are people. And mean to boot. :-)

ABQConvict

Old 03-23-2009, 05:53 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
I've been told before from a very intelligent source that the German race is superior.
Did your source have a funny mustache?

Old 03-23-2009, 06:01 AM

428 posts, read 831,860 times
No, the best cities are on the East and were founded by WASP's.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:02 AM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Did your source have a funny mustache?
Or at the very least he probably has an "I'm With Dolph" bumper sticker on each of his car bumpers and a Swastika painted on each car door.

Der Fuehrer's Face

Spike Jones and the City Slickers

When Der Fuehrer says, "We ist der master race"
We HEIL! HEIL! Right in Der Fuehrer's face
Not to love Der Fuehrer is a great disgrace
So we HEIL! HEIL! Right in Der Fuehrer's face
When Herr Gobbels says, "We own der world und space"
We HEIL! HEIL! Right in Herr Goring's face
When Herr Goring says they'll never bomb this place
We HEIL! HEIL! Right in Herr Goring's face

Are we not the supermen
Aryan pure supermen
Ja we ist der supermen
Super-duper supermen
Ist this Nutzi land not good?
Would you leave it if you could?
Ja this Nutzi land is good!
Vee would leave it if we could

We bring the world to order
Heil Hitler's world New Order
Everyone of foreign race will love Der Fuehrer's face
When we bring to der world disorder

We HEIL! HEIL! Right in Der Fuehrer's face
We HEIL! HEIL! Right in Der Fuhrer's face

Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,940 times
Default Mr. Darwin, please

Are cities where Bavarians live better than those where Rheinlanders are a factor? How about Schwabians vs. Austrians. Do Sudeten Czechs count? How about Baltic Germans.
I think this whole thing is a bit of eugenic nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.