U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 02:02 PM

1,295 posts, read 4,239,628 times

Advertisements

Coming out of nursing school they tell you jobs in health care will always be in demand. Well here in Virginia it is not. So we are just not making enough money at my current job here. I am a LPN now but still studying to be a RN by the end of the year. I know LPNs are not really in demand compared to RNs.

I was planning to move to some where else but not sure where. I was considering Florida (Tampa) because it seems like it would be easy to get a cheap house there as well. But at this point it does not matter. Does anyone have any idea where is the best place to move for jobs in the health care field? I say health care because as I said I will be a RN soon. Any advice or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 02:13 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,502,634 times
Lots of nice hospitals here in Boston . Many of them are in the process of large expansions like Dana Farber. Check out Mass General Hospital, Dana Farber, Brigham & Women's, Children's Hospital, Shriner's Hospital, Beth Israel, Emerson, Boston Medical Center.

Lots of hospitals in our area, but it's not exactly cheap to live up here either.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:17 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,717,705 times
Well, this might not be on your radar screen, but Alabama (particularly Birmingham) is a huge healthcare center, both as a regional draw, a comprehensive cancer center, Federal research dollars, the top AIDS clinic in the country, six other medical centers, international patients flying in, you name it. The recruitment campaigns around here are always intense with signing bonuses galore.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:35 PM

7,593 posts, read 9,446,457 times
Default I'll second this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Lots of nice hospitals here in Boston . Many of them are in the process of large expansions like Dana Farber. Check out Mass General Hospital, Dana Farber, Brigham & Women's, Children's Hospital, Shriner's Hospital, Beth Israel, Emerson, Boston Medical Center.

Lots of hospitals in our area, but it's not exactly cheap to live up here either.
...as I work in one of those hospitals, but Boston is expensive, too...

In the Longwood Medical area alone, you have the Brigham, Beth Israel/Deaconness, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Joslyn Diabetes Center, Harvard Medical School, Harvard Dental School, Harvard School of Public Health, Mass. College of Pharmacy, Children's Hospital, etc.

And Fenway Park is just down the street..

Old 03-25-2009, 02:40 PM

Yea Longwood is ill *crickets*

Old 03-25-2009, 03:27 PM

what?

Old 03-25-2009, 03:45 PM

It was a bad attempt at a joke. Which is why I put the *crickets* thing there...meaning the sound of crickets.

Ill = cool in slang.

People are ill (sick) when they're at the hospital.

Longwood has many hospitals.

Zoooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

I'll go now.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:49 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,562,238 times
Houston, Milwaukee, Rochester,MN, San Diego.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:07 PM

thanks ill check those places out

Old 03-25-2009, 08:09 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,484,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
Coming out of nursing school they tell you jobs in health care will always be in demand. Well here in Virginia it is not. So we are just not making enough money at my current job here. I am a LPN now but still studying to be a RN by the end of the year. I know LPNs are not really in demand compared to RNs.

I was planning to move to some where else but not sure where. I was considering Florida (Tampa) because it seems like it would be easy to get a cheap house there as well. But at this point it does not matter. Does anyone have any idea where is the best place to move for jobs in the health care field? I say health care because as I said I will be a RN soon. Any advice or suggestions?
Tampa is a good choice as is anywhere on the FL Gulf Coast south of that line, Orlando is also building a lot of new medical facilities...especially around the new UCF medical school..

FL has a high percentage of a demographic (seniors) that needs health care the most, so there will be a pretty high demand down here...

C'mon down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or