U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 07:09 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,191,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
bellafinzi, many thanks for the Syracuse links.

Do you have any info on the art community in the City? I've been to Syracuse quite a few times, but always work-related and didn't have much time to explore.
You're welcome!

Only what I read in the newspaper. Here's an interesting quote I found on the internet pertaining to this topic.... "the city of Syracuse, despite its substantial economic and social challenges, is home to an extraordinary arts community.......In August of 2000, a group of Paducah residents started a program to attract artists from all over to relocate to Lower Town, a historic district close to downtown. The program offered incentives ranging from low-interest loans, free lots for construction, group-rate health insurance, Web sites, and help with marketing and advertising. So far, they’ve attracted 45 artists who wanted the cultural atmosphere of a city without the costs, and Paducah now has a thriving cultural community and an economic outlook to match. I tell you about Paducah because we recently invited two of the people behind its “artist relocation program” to come to Syracuse by the and explore with us our potential. The bottom line is that they were incredibly impressed arts infrastructure that we have in place and by plans for more to come."
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,254 times
Check out OLD LYME CT for art. It was the Giverny of America in the earliest 1900/ All the american impressionists came here to paint.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:45 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,922,354 times
Thanks for your recommendation. I'm too far in the West right now to get to Old Lyme, but I have been there. The entire coast in this area is lush, lovely and potentially ripe for an artist. New London's coast is one of my favourites. O'Neill had a house on the coast, which I believe is open to the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemary06371 View Post
Check out OLD LYME CT for art. It was the Giverny of America in the earliest 1900/ All the american impressionists came here to paint.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:46 PM

Great info. Perhaps it will spur letsgosee to check out Syracuse! Thanks bellafinzi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
You're welcome!

Only what I read in the newspaper. Here's an interesting quote I found on the internet pertaining to this topic.... "the city of Syracuse, despite its substantial economic and social challenges, is home to an extraordinary arts community.......In August of 2000, a group of Paducah residents started a program to attract artists from all over to relocate to Lower Town, a historic district close to downtown. The program offered incentives ranging from low-interest loans, free lots for construction, group-rate health insurance, Web sites, and help with marketing and advertising. So far, they’ve attracted 45 artists who wanted the cultural atmosphere of a city without the costs, and Paducah now has a thriving cultural community and an economic outlook to match. I tell you about Paducah because we recently invited two of the people behind its “artist relocation program” to come to Syracuse by the and explore with us our potential. The bottom line is that they were incredibly impressed arts infrastructure that we have in place and by plans for more to come."

Old 05-09-2007, 08:14 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,087,395 times
Just catching up with the posts. Life gone crazy. I don't know about Spokane except from the students I meet at school who lived there and hated it. Since many young people hate wherever it is they grew up yet end up moving back home when they have children, I'd take that with a grain of salt. So far Olympia is the only town I've been to in WA that I want to live in. This town definitely has an art community even though I have not been able to have time to be involved--school and work. And school has been really tough this quarter--lost in ceramics.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
You're welcome!
"In August of 2000, a group of Paducah residents started a program to attract artists from all over to relocate to Lower Town, "
This is very interesting. I'm curious how the artist are doing. Upper state New York interested me after recommendations here so I talked to a co-worker who moved from Syracuse to Olympia. She moved here because the NY area was depressed and there were no jobs. She said everyone was leaving. If there are no jobs, who is buying the artists work? All thru the Internet? If you put enough artists together, will it attract enough people to buy?

I am still struggling with what I want to do after college and how I will make a living. I am an artist in the sense that I have to be creating but I hate the pressure of creating to sell. Haven't done that yet so I'm looking at a job that will give me money to continue to do art at least while I learn how to market. Community development and cultural tourism is one of my interests. It seems for towns to survive we are beginning to use ourselves as an attraction. In this case, artists. A local Native American tribe would like to increase tourism to their reservation. It raises many questions. How much do we want to be exhibits in our own towns? What parts of who we are do we want to share and sell? How does it change us and the culture we live in?

I love working in the studio with other ceramic students but it is very strange when the tour groups of prospective students to the college are standing outside the windows staring at us. I looked up one time and they were videotaping me. Weird. Flashbacks to the 70s and living in the Bowery in NYC and a tourbus drove by and the tourists were staring at us. Look at the hippies and the street people that live here. But then again, maybe we're all here to entertain and/or educate each other.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:47 AM

Hey Ontheroad! Did I miss the post on the birth of your grandchild? I assume she had the baby since you are on the road again.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:09 PM

Thanks for asking--yes, the baby was born one month ago, April 8, a little girl, and I am finally at the Ocean--the Atlantic--in Woods Hole, MA. A low fog is just coming in and from my window I can only sense the change in the air temperature. It took me two months to make it this far, with many "on the road" stops but the air is as fresh as I remember it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Hey Ontheroad! Did I miss the post on the birth of your grandchild? I assume she had the baby since you are on the road again.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:32 PM

Congratulations! It's sunny and warm in WA. Finally. I'll look forward to hearing about the art community in Pittsburgh and your travels.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:33 AM

7 posts, read 9,292 times
Default I'm back reading the thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Great info. Perhaps it will spur letsgosee to check out Syracuse! Thanks bellafinzi.
Thanks for the info on Syracuse bellafinzi! Thanks for thanking bella for me OTR! I finally got the Atlas out to see exactly where it is. Far away from everything I'm afraid. Talked to someone from Buffalo(retired steel mills) and then noted that it is less than two hours from Toronto which is a plus. But I'm waffling because of the weather. A friend has warned me. Visions of snow up to the windows all winter with me huddled inside wearing three sweaters. But the finger lakes area with Lake Ontario too... Must be awfully pretty. I want to visit sometime regardless. OTR I'm wondering what the chances of living say two hours from Boston are. Any economically depressed towns do you think? If I could afford to live that close to Boston and the Atlantic..... ooooooeeeeee! (Also I'm still having fantasies of an art town created by artists.)

I live right near a town here in Mexico that is known to have a lot of artists and people from all parts of the world. I came here for that reason and because it is an hour and a half from Mexico City center. But there is no gathering place and people stay very much to themselves. One friend who is a painter and has lived here for 35 years says that until I came she had never had a conversation about art with anyone! My favorite conversations have been with an artist friend living in Patcuaro who moved down here from Soho. We have compared the art scene I was living in in Chicago with NYC. Seems there's more artist run exhibions and activities in Chicago. A friend and I used to put on exhibitions in a large abandoned apt. We threw a long banner out the second story window and for two days had a show that the owner of the place never found out about. We installed wonderful but cheap lighting, had live music(neighbors) and great food that was all pot luck. Mostly it was all neighbors, who were all artists. So we all got to know each other and each others work. So much talent! It was wonderful. This is what I think of as "artists' community". Every artistic medium was represented in Pilsen. That made it very interesting. And many Chicago artists have the attitude that we all have to help each other a little because being an artist is a hard road to take.

So I'm not sure how you identify a real community of artists, versus the presence of artists, which is not the same thing. The first thing I would do is look for some store front kind of organization that is artist run. And a little but serious theater is wonderful. We had one and performance people liven things up and provide a place. Personally I am in total limbo for the time being, hoping that as I hear of different places it will help me make a decision. I am flip floping, one day this is it! and the next day I'm off on another tangent. Eight months of this has me feeling like a total flake. Forgive me if I just read these posts and only contribute when someone mentions a place I know soemthing about. Thanks so much OTR for sharing your travels! I'm following you on the map.
letsgosee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or