U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2007, 07:38 AM

182 posts, read 751,778 times

Advertisements

thanks ontheroad I'll check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,904,846 times
Thanks, Phil75230 for adding Eureka Springs, ARK--I was there for about a week in '92--and thought the area beautiful. Haven't been back since!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Either Marfa or Presidio (they're close to each other) - about 2 1/2 hours from El Paso. I don't know if you can call it an arts town, but Fredericksburg, TX (2 hours west of Austin) is well known for its German heritage festivals that draws LOTS of visitors. So if F'burg isn't an arts town, it at least has excellent potential to become one.

Also, I have to echo the comments about Eureka Springs, Ark -- EXCELLENT art's town. In that region, it's monicker is "Where the Misfits Fit". Plus it has the highest per-capita gay population in the state (yes, even more than Little Rock and Fayetteville). Can't get more artsy than that!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:10 AM

The travels are beginning to wear on me and my nerves, but I would add North Adams (MA) as a possible artist community in the making (if you are young, energetic and need some good loft space). As I am none of these, I've crossed it off my personal list.

I am now in Vermont and starting to make a list of "must haves" and "absolutely can't live with."

Perhaps others have already made such lists--if so, please share them!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:10 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,263,430 times
Deer Isle, Maine- not only naturally beautiful and culturally inspiring, but home to the Haystack School-

Haystack Mountain School of Crafts

Old 06-05-2007, 09:24 AM

Thanks for another addition, deerislesmile. I was going to pay a visit to the School when I was in Belfast but decided against it because it was too far East whilst I was heading West, and because generally it appears to concentrate on fabric arts. One of my acquaintances who lives in Damariscotta Mills is an active member there, and I believe moved from LA to ME because of Haystack.

But, and this is a good but, Deer Isle, like all of Maine, in my opinion, is beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Deer Isle, Maine- not only naturally beautiful and culturally inspiring, but home to the Haystack School-

Haystack Mountain School of Crafts

Old 06-05-2007, 10:01 AM

644 posts, read 3,108,910 times
I've just been reading this entire thread and it's a good one. I'd like to see it continued. I'm currently in Los Angeles and getting ready to hit the road in about two more weeks. I still need to wrap up some work projects and put some new tires on the truck. Since gas is costly, I can't zig zag all over the place. I'm also traveling with a dog and a cat, so I can't leave them in a hot car. I think I'll head over on I-70 through the center of the state and go to the east coast. I used to live in Northampton, MA and agree with Ontheroad's comments of the area. The center of town is now dominated with young punks and beggars. I don't understand how young healthy white kids can become beggars. Where do they come from? Anyhow, on top of this, the area has gotten silly expensive. $1,000/mo for a 1-bedroom in central Mass? This is insanity. So I need to find another place in New England. I'm a writer and I'm looking for a place that is peaceful and affordable. Ontheroad, I hope you will post more of your findings here.

Artie

Old 06-05-2007, 10:14 AM

artichoke63, a couple of suggestions: Call ahead if you can for hotel/motel reservations to see if they take pets. Several do, at no cost; others charge a large premium (+$20.). Also check about other accommodations: wifi, etc.--even chains differ city to city.

Petrol costs are going down this week; it might be wise to travel before another holiday, like 4th of July. I've seen a drop here in New England of nearly 20-30cents just in the last few days.

Good luck and if I have real contributions to make, I'll post them as they surface.

Hope others will as well!

Old 06-05-2007, 11:06 AM

Hello OntheRoad,

I have a large SUV so I'm going to sleep in the back whenever possible. I can't afford to spend a lot of money on hotels. I'm planning to drive through New Mexico and then I want to check out Lawrence, KS and Kansas City, Missouri, and St. Louis, IL. Also Columbus, OH and then on the MA. I have a friend in Amherst and I can stay there for the summer.

Did you go to Rockport? How did you like it there? Any idea yet of where you want to settle? For a long time I thought of getting an Airstream and living out of it. Rents are so high across the country.

Today, I'm feeling down. I hope I can find a new home for myself. Just went to get some coffee around the corner here in Beverly Hills. So many people on their cell phone trying to look important. The narcissism of this place wears on me. I'm ready to leave.

Artie

Old 06-05-2007, 11:14 AM

Well, happy sleeping! My car is big enough but I had too many things to even consider sleeping in the back. If you are planning to go to NM, check out some of the smaller towns around, but not Taos itself. Still plenty of possibilities for inexpensive living, great vistas, off the grid (north of Pueblo sur Norte). One of my younger friends lives in an airstream in Taos--she says it is getting old and she's 26.

In MO, you might also drop over to Colombia--inexpensive and attractive.

Yes, I went to Rockport, and the Cape is actively on my list.

I am in the middle of making my list of must haves right now (I have a cold from driving through 3 storms) and need a break from anything that smells like a car, or a decision!

Old 06-05-2007, 11:30 AM

OntheRoad,

I always thought Cape Cod was expensive. How does one afford to live there? What is Rockport like? Anything affordable there?

Thanks,

Artie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or