U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 11:42 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,910,412 times

Advertisements

Cape Cod and Cape Ann (two different capes) are both on the expensive side in the tourist towns (Provincetown in Cape Cod; and much of Cape Ann--Gloucester, Rockport)--but regular people live in both.

I thought some of Cape Cod worth exploring but it's too remote for my personal needs (easy access to a major highway and easy commute to a metro airport). Cape Ann, although nearly as remote, has easy access to the Boston airport by commuter train and thus easy access to all that Boston has to offer (much, in my opinion).

I have some good friends who moved to Rockport and they are looking around for me as they look around for a family member. It might be out of reach right now in the height of the tourist season but level off later.

Rockport has a very active writing and visual arts community- one of my two friends is associated with several writing groups and has completed 32 short stories in the time he's been in Rockport. When we both lived in NYC, all we ever did was compare notes, drink too much coffee and work, work, work . And to top off how inviting Rockport can be the art association welcomed me as a former MA resident without blinking an eye and smiled a welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 11:59 AM

644 posts, read 3,109,659 times
I like the sound of Rockport a LOT... please let me know what types of rent you find there. I was paying $1650 a month for my Los Angeles apartment and I had to work hard to cover expenses. That sort of rent is NOT conducive to creativity in any sense. It just forces you to become a type of serf.

I may check out Rockport if I don't get held up in Missouri. I like the east coast. I like the way people think, the liberal politics... it's a good place.

I'm getting my car worked on next week. I want to get it completely checked out. I'd like to see about buying a cargo container to go on the roof so I can bring all my winter clothes with me. I'll go to the Army Surplus store to see if I can get a sleeping pad for the back. I also need a few gallons of water, a cooler, and some healthy snacks. Nothing worse the eating lots of starch while traveling. I usually lose weight when I travel because I get so focused. Good thing I'm nice and fattened up now. I'll need the extra padding!

A.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:41 AM

6 posts, read 18,475 times
Default Oswego good in winter?

Great info! Thanks everyone. Oswego sounds wonderful, Sgoldie but how is it in winter?

Old 06-06-2007, 06:44 AM

6 posts, read 18,475 times
Hi Sgoldie, how is Oswego in winter?

Old 06-06-2007, 07:00 AM

35 posts, read 95,751 times
@ Artichoke - Columbia, MO has 2 four year schools, Columbia College, the other one I can't recall the name is all-female school, and the University of Missouri [main campus]. It is the most liberal area of the state, with the youngest population; the county has one of the highest numbers of caves in the US and some really pretty country, especially the bluff area by the Missouri River.

I was an undergrad there at UM and have been back a few time since - it's a growing area due to medical research and education - and is a fine little arts town, with a lot of grey pony tails now; tho oddly the art school for UM is not on this campus but up in Marysville.

Some great BBQ there too. Spend a little time there - also between Columbia and St. Louis is the old German town of Hermann MO. - small, with wineries etc. Kinda neat little place - haven't been there in years but it's a possible spot.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:08 AM

thanks, tcburns, for more info on Columbia (MO). I spent about a week there in March with friends--one of whom teaches at UM and the other getting their degree in ve tmed. A lovely town.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:37 AM

644 posts, read 3,109,659 times
tcburns,

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain Columbia MO to me. I've got it on my list and I'm definitely going to check it out on my way through the U.S. I looked on craigslist last night and apartments there are cheap! Since I work over the Internet, the job economy there is not an issue to me.

Does anyone else have thoughts on places I should check out coming across the country? I'm following Route 70. I would like to drive through new Mexico to avoid going over the Rockies. Ontheroad, you mentioned some areas around Sante Fe that were still reasonable. I can't figure out what areas you mean....Pueblo Sur did you say?

I'm also going to stop in Alton, Illinois (to visit family). I'm not sure on where to go in the Northeast. Northampton MA is where I used to live, but the town has degraded. It's so annoying to walk into the town center and see it filled with crazy people (from the closed mental hospital?), lazy tatooed teenage white trash vagrants (where do THEY come from?), and beggars. Apartments in the area run close to Boston prices!

Anyhow, car is scheduled for a checkup next Monday. Trying to get things in order. I'm taking my cat and dog with me, which should be a challenge. I think kitty will be okay. He goes with me everywhere anyway but I can't leave him in a hot car to explore an area. It limits my freedom somewhat.

Cheers,

Artie

Old 06-06-2007, 08:04 AM

If you are taking rte 70 straight, you would be going off the path considerably to check out my recommendations--all of which are north of 70 by 60-80 miles. Pueblo sur Norte is the highway that goes through Taos, NM and beyond--nowhere near Santa Fe.

Sorry for the confusion, artichoke63.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:14 AM

22 posts, read 98,183 times
cool thread. ontheroad, youve been so many places and know so many people. we should network so you can know one more! really great insight into a tough question, and im glad somebody is doing this. i wish i would have read something like this years ago. it really would have helped i think.

as an artist (painter/photo/and recently web cuz i wanted a site) i have bounced around a bit (not as much as some, but im still a young 30) and id have this to offer about the places ive been and experienced as an artist.

new orleans, la : born here, visited fam ever since moving. a great art scene, with around 10-20 top notch contemporary venues (pre-katrina) the major down it being such a tourist destination, a lot of "local" art prevails. scenes of the french quarter, the blue dog, etc. the up at the moment...new orleans is really changing and is soooo affordable because they are still pulling bodies from the rubble (its hard to believe) im interested to see where the city will go from here.

roanoke virginia : grew up here. if you are an artist, its simple, dont come here. some great universities in the area, but local art of the blue ridge mountains is king in this neck of the woods. 2 galleries, both suck. 2 co-ops which are surprisingly talented. one up being a very large and edgy new art museum being built at the moment by randall scott. it will probably house even more local art of the blue ridge.

philadelphia, pa : undergrad bfa here. great city. totally the city of brotherly love/ city that loves you back. great venues for new and established artists. the PMA has a great and extensive collection. at least 3 high grade art schools here. close proximity to nyc without living there. the downs being it can get dangerous (but thats half the fun right? feeling unsafe?) and oddly niche-ish for what it offers artists at my stage of development.

nyc, new york : everybody knows it, everybody loves it. no question it is the epicenter for the intellectual american artist. i simply found it too hard to survive. what good is having the moma, met, or 300 galleries within 20 minutes, if i have no time to visit them, much less, time to get into the studio. most of my time was spent working my ass off to pay rent. plus subway commutes can run into hour long journeys of connection and walking. id rather ride a bike 10 minutes, but thats just me. im by no means going to attempt to up or down this one. maybe when im older or richer. until then, great place to visit. simply too competitive for my spirit. im not into cutting throats to get by.

rome, italy : i know its not in the u.s. but worth mentioning because it is undoubtedly drenched in art, and i really felt a peak in my work while here. at every corner, in every cubby, down every "via" is beautiful ageless expression. most of it is the old stuff youve studied in books, but not all. very vibrant and active contemporary scene. overall awe inspiring. studied abroad here. would jump at the chance to go back. dont know if i could give up speaking english/ebonics though, or deal with that traffic on a day to day. great water system though, and thats always a plus(?). venice is great if you are a glassblower, florence is great if you are old or a tourist, and naples is great if you want to be shot at for being an american.

wilmington, north carolina : cool hip young and on the coast. beautiful beaches, supposedly cleanest on the east coast. decent art, although falls prey to the same tourist trap as new orleans, a lot of local art. if you were willing to dig in and get established here, id see how itd be a beautiful place to drink with college kids and make art in your spare time.

charlotte, north carolina : despite its hype, i was sorely disappointed. overall ghetto without the benefits of being such, and NODA their acclaimed arts district is maybe 4 galleries. however these 4 galleries were utterly top notch and had some of the most interesting pieces ive seen in quite some time. very progressive as a whole. so id say small, but strong. maybe i didnt give it enough of a chance, but if you were looking for an overflow of artistic people, it wouldnt be here. creative maybe. charlotte downtown = bankers. its 2nd only to wall street.

some short summaries (from shorter excursions)...

richmond virginia : good art, a few great progressive new venues. total scene city. bring your carabiner, love of the punk scene, and 6 pack of pbr here and make some art.

asheville/boone, north carolina : beautiful place. hip avant-guarde college towns, and all that goes along with that. small and local flavor sells well. beautiful vistas. artists communities and superb artist in residences in surrounding areas. this area is getting large for the arts, because there is a lot of money here to buy it.

washington dc : too many phallic objects in one place, in more ways than one. the national gallery is great though, and lots of edgy galleries. is it worth it? living under the shadow of the patriot act? i was simply scared the whole time. and no, not by the bums.

baltimore, maryland : its a cold cold place. maybe its just too close to d.c. one of the top art schools in the u.s. is an up however. and very cool clubs.

austin, texas : went earlier this year and loved it. will be relocating here in july. seems to encompass all i want from an area. rural, urban, large yet small, creative young progressive, potential for starting a successful artist collective. ill let you know how reality matches these expectations.

i hope youve enjoyed my book, as limited as it is (west coast, wheres that?). i did not intend to offend anyone who might represent any of the places i have discussed here. they just werent for me at that moment in time, and its quite possible i just didnt give it enough of a chance. but ive been on a quest to find my "nirvana" as has been discussed on this thread, and i just thought id share my perspective of where ive been.

thanks for reading it. i hope it helps, maybe even as much as this thread has helped me in comparing new (and old) places to consider my residence for the optimal output and development of my work. artists unite!

Old 06-09-2007, 01:44 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,085,138 times
Great input griffininsight! Thanks. Better watch out though, you might find out where the westcoast is. I started in the east, went to New Mexico and now in Washington. Can't get much further west now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or