U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:38 PM

29,038 posts, read 45,034,695 times

Advertisements

For my state (California), I'd suggest Arcata/Eureka, Mendocino, Morro Bay & Carmel... all beautiful coastal towns, with a real artsy feel! I'd live in any of them, if the right job was available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 11:41 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,912,557 times
Hey, there just happens to be a church for sale right on the main drag and across from a park. There's an arts group trying to put together a consortium to buy and preserve it for a multi-arts venue. Hope they can get it together.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:59 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,085,567 times
Sounds like a great use for a church. What's the job market like? I need to find one to support my art habit :-) I might just have to plan a summer trip to PA and talk the kids into a camping trip to upstate NY.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:07 AM

5,019 posts, read 12,743,627 times
Default My Neck of the Woods

I'll pick one small (I like small) town in each of the states in which I've lived for more than 5 years

1. Julian, CA. About an hour east of San Diego. The closest thing you'll find to four distinct seasons in the area. Excellent mountain views, but an easy drive to "the big city" and the beach. Near-perfect weather for plein air painters.

2. Marfa, TX. The mountains in west Texas are amazing and inspiring. This wide-open space is excellent for solitude. A great place to work if one is in the "buckle down and paint" mode. Not close to anything, but has a strong art-vibe thanks to Donald Judd and the Chinati Foundation.

3. Nashville, IN. Known as an artists' colony for over 100 years, thanks to T.C. Steele and "The Hoosier Group". This small town is nestled in rolling, forested hills of Brown County. A strong, fairly cohesive, group of local artists. ~20 minutes from Bloomington, IN, home of IU, for painting classes, life-drawing studios and art supplies. ~1 hr from both Indianapolis and Louisville for galleries and museums and ~4 hours from Chicago for the "big city" fix.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:09 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,912,931 times
Interesting and unusual, plaidmom, just what the group needs to hear and learn about.

Perhaps we'll gather enough good recommendations for our own book!

Old 03-27-2007, 08:11 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,912,931 times
I thought Eureka among the most beautiful places I visited years ago--certainly can't beat some of those views; and Carmel, too was splendid.

Thanks for these, gizmo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
For my state (California), I'd suggest Arcata/Eureka, Mendocino, Morro Bay & Carmel... all beautiful coastal towns, with a real artsy feel! I'd live in any of them, if the right job was available.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:15 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,351,483 times
Yellow Springs, OH (East of Dayton) is what we've got in this neck of the woods!

Old 03-27-2007, 09:56 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,912,557 times
DancingEarth, The job market here isn't good. What I'd like to see is artists who come to live here and either start up businesses to support their art as you say, or those who are able to work and live here selling their work in one of the major urban markets.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:41 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,034,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I thought Eureka among the most beautiful places I visited years ago--certainly can't beat some of those views; and Carmel, too was splendid.

Thanks for these, gizmo!
You're welcome! Lots more in this great state, and in other parts of the West... I'll post later if I think of any other good ones.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:53 PM

87,010 posts, read 102,606,536 times
I will say this and then I MUST shut down my computer and clean my house!

1) I am surprised to see Denver ranked as high as it is, though come to think of it, there is a lot of tax supported arts stuff going on around here.
2) I truly am surprised to see Pittsburgh ranked as high as it is. Await your report, ontheroad.
3) I am surprised (sorry, can't think of another word) that Omaha, Neb. isn't on either list 2 or 3. I guess it should be on #2 because it has almost 500,000 people in the city and a metro area of ~ 1 mil. There is quite an arts scene there. Boyhood home of Henry Fonda and Marlon Brando. Fonda got his start at the Omaha Public Playhouse (I think that is the name). Many of the rest stops on I-80 have sculpture displays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or