U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2007, 09:32 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,909,157 times

Advertisements

Hope to hear about CT, stormweary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 06:40 AM

182 posts, read 751,874 times
I did post to the Ct. forum about Hartford and got one response from skytrekker indicating that the downtown area is alive and well.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:55 PM

7 posts, read 9,290 times
Default Cape Ann

I have been lurking on and off and OTR I googled Cape Ann. The Other Cape: Cape Ann, Massachusetts - Yankee Magazine
It sounds so wonderful I almost passed out! I grew up on the water, going to sleep with the sound of the foghorn. Winslow Homer was my favoite artist as a kid... I hope you are finding economical digs and I am back to wondering how big a person's budget would have to be to live fairly near Boston and Cape Ann. Studio space is always the challenge. And heating costs...
Is there a web site that I could go to to to get an idea of rental prices? That's easy to do with Pittsburgh, where like everyone has said, the rent prices are great. Cape Ann artists seem to be mostly water colorists and photographers. One assemblage artist. Yeah! Perhaps I should look into summer rentals, declare one month my writing month and head for Cape Ann, see if it works. Just thinking out loud...
letsgosee

Old 06-20-2007, 03:51 PM

letsgosee, I have good news and bad news. The bad news first: finding a rental, furnished for summer and/or all year round in some of my favourite towns is near impossible, or so it seems--even for a price. Now a price for me is hovering around one thousand dollars, too steep for my retired ladder.

I do have friends looking for me on Cape Ann--and they haven't had any luck yet, but they are optimistic something will turn up in the Fall. I also have myself and some friends looking for me in Southern VT, and that, too, is not looking promising, but possible if I can just stick it out.

The good news is: yes, there are real artist communities in progress and several in the making in New England. I had a very long talk with a young woman who just finished her degree in art, down in Boston, and she has just recently opened a wee, kind of cooperative art gallery venture in Brattleboro (VT). She told me they have an art alliance that recently formed and have a place on the town council agenda in a week or so. After talking to her, and a few other artists (all sorts), I'd say for small towns (<20,000) opportunities exist, but persistence and a few odd bucks in the bank are an absolute requirement.

And today, I went to the library to see that book iriegirl recommended and several others have mentioned:
The 100 Best Small Art Towns in America: Discover Creative Communities, Fresh Air, and Affordable Living by John Villani, 2005 version .
and boy was I disappointed.

But it gave me an idea: write another one with better material It tries to cover too much ground, and has very little meat, let alone potatoes. Interestingly, one of my local contacts is quoted in the book, so I intend to give her a call and see what she can share about her contribution to the book.

I haven't written much on the thread because I was hoping for a breaking news post--and that has yet to happen.

Perhaps it will tomorrow!

PS - one way to get the feel for how much rentals are in any given town, or even if they exist, is to check on craigslist. I've been doing it regularly since I went on the road, and it has been helpful.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:53 PM

Are you thinking positively about the Hartford area, stormweary?

The last time I was actually in Hartford was about 1996 and the Downtown looked all lite up and ready to pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
I did post to the Ct. forum about Hartford and got one response from skytrekker indicating that the downtown area is alive and well.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:16 AM

ontheroad, just sent you a PM. Hartford area seems to be poised if not already a good place for arts in general.I am not sure for me personally if it would be a good fit. Has more to do with my personal situation than anything else.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Tampa bay area for the Arts

Anyone have any info on the Tamp bay area for the arts? There seems to be alot going on in the area. I keep bumping into it in my searches.One website compared it to New Orleans and that peaked my interest.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:35 PM

7 posts, read 9,290 times
Hi OTR!
Well I for one would buy your book in a heartbeat! I am not at all surprised The 100 Best Small Art Towns was disappointing. Your writing on this thread however has been a delight that I will be disappointed to see end. Your personality and wit would be as much of a draw as the material. I have my fingers crossed that you find a wonderful place! I will be 60 this year and find that I need not only a stimulating artistic environment, but also that feeling you expressed so wonderfully awhile back, the feeling of being "home". And of course, good studio space is required, and affordability, that nasty issue. I've heard that there are huge old mansions for sale real cheap in Acapulco...
letsgosee

letsgosee

Old 06-21-2007, 02:13 PM

letsgosee, thanks for dropping by again. I wish we had the collective funds, and tastes to buy a mansion together anywhere.

And, I am so glad you've enjoyed the thread. I feel as if I am getting closer to home, but need the patience, and an expandable wallet to keep me going in this search. I just got off the phone with someone renting a little house not too far from my "once home" and while not overly optimistic, I am excited about seeing it. One of the thrills of seeing it is its proximity to several small and special treats in the Pioneer Valley--a bookstore that never stops housed in an old windmill; and a small flower bridge. While visiting these wouldn't be a daily occurrence, I've always liked both of these two neighbouring towns and the general feel to the place. The bookstore once had regular ho-downs and literary readings (circa 1995) and perhaps they are still going on (I heard some great music there back then).

I also wrote to my acquaintance about her involvement in that best small towns book and hope to hear what she has to say about it, and her contribution. I understand from another mutual acquaintance I spent the morning with that this acquaintance was a museum curator locally. And, this morning I got to see some fabulously original artwork by Meridel Rubenstein. She's published this book Amazon.com: Meridel Rubenstein: Belonging: Books: James Crump,Lucy Lippard,Rebecca Solnit,Terry Tempest Williams,Meridel Rubenstein
which I also got to peruse.

If I can settle down soon, and retain my level of recall, I think a book would be fun, and possibly have some merit. I'll take a wait and see attitude until I am settled, and of course I'd want to credit you all, and ask for some thoughts about your own explorations (if you permit).

If you decide to come back to the States, I hope you'll get into touch whether the thread persists or dissolves....

Take care!

and stormweary, I hope that you find some meaningful information about the Tampa area. The Florida boards are packed with knowledgeable people so hopefully someone may have some concrete suggestions. As much as you hate those storms.......it seems you are destined to stay down South, and I am determined to remain up North.

I'll see you soon!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:01 AM

ontheroad "and stormweary, I hope that you find some meaningful information about the Tampa area. The Florida boards are packed with knowledgeable people so hopefully someone may have some concrete suggestions. As much as you hate those storms.......it seems you are destined to stay down South, and I am determined to remain up North."

yes, I think it has to do with that feeling of "home" that letsgosee mentions....
I'm planning in the next week or so a quick trip down there. Tampa is about an hour to hour half drive from here. St. Petersburg has been mentioned as being a better choice so I may stay a night and check it out as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or