U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2007, 07:51 AM
 
1,569 posts, read 3,085,352 times
Reputation: 924

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
Hello all,
Sorry for not writing sooner. I finally have decided to move back home which is New Orleans for me. And that decision is more personal than anything. I was there this past month and it just felt right. I hope to eventually buy a house with enough space for a studio, been looking at doubles that I could convert into a house/studio configuration. I've talked to insurance and mortgage people and its doable. Not any worse or better than what I have seen in other areas. The arts are alive and doing well in the city considering the storm was just 2 years ago. I am hopeful.
Good Luck to all.
Congratulatoins Stormweary! It must feel great to come to a decision and move on. I'm hoping in the next year that I can make the decision where to live and a job to earn that living so I can find a space for a studio again. Good luck in New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2007, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,911,600 times
Reputation: 3840
So glad to hear from you and learn you've made a decision. We both have been struggling together and now it appears we'll both be settled.

Sometimes, it is right there, isn't it: home is where the heart is!

Good luck, stormweary, and perhaps our path's will meet along the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
Hello all,
Sorry for not writing sooner. I finally have decided to move back home which is New Orleans for me. And that decision is more personal than anything. I was there this past month and it just felt right. I hope to eventually buy a house with enough space for a studio, been looking at doubles that I could convert into a house/studio configuration. I've talked to insurance and mortgage people and its doable. Not any worse or better than what I have seen in other areas. The arts are alive and doing well in the city considering the storm was just 2 years ago. I am hopeful.
Good Luck to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2007, 01:10 PM
 
Location: new orleans
182 posts, read 751,956 times
Reputation: 83
thanks dancingearth and onthroad.
I'll try to let you know how things go. I'm planning on another visit in a couple of weeks there. I may just rent and take my time with buying. thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2007, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Portland, Maine
4,180 posts, read 13,051,573 times
Reputation: 1609
American Visionary Art Museum

---Baltimore has a lot to offer, the above being just one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 02:15 PM
 
156 posts, read 665,496 times
Reputation: 78
Hi All,
just catching up with everyone...
so glad to hear you are settled 'ontheroad'. I love that area in PA/NJ/NY.
My son Jesse went to camp up there every summer and we'd visit him and it was beautiful. Hope you are faring well.
Stormweary, are you in New Orleans yet? You sounded as though you were pretty decided about it in the last posts.
Dancingearth, I wonder if you are still in WA?

Well, I am still in NJ. Haven't done much travelling lately or looking for a new place. My husband had some surgery and was home for 2 months,and my middle son came home to live for a while, but has relocated in DC, so I had a housefull for a while.

I know what you all said about the feeling of 'home' and I guess that is the Jersey Shore to me, but I still have the 'dream' of living in an artsy place with other artists.
I mean, we had a nice summer and fall here, but now it's getting that grey color of the rest of the year, and I find it hard to be creative or even deal with it at all.
Maybe I just need to relocate to a warmer,sunnier place, and the rest will follow. Nah.
I'm still gonna hold on to my dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,911,600 times
Reputation: 3840
iriegirl, how great to hear from you. I have been wondering how you are faring. It's been just over a year since you started the "artist town" thread in NM, and so much has happened since.

This new area is beautiful, and somewhat of a challenge for a Urbandweller, but I am doing remarkably well. We have so many local artists, and artist events that I would need a social secretary to keep up.

Nearly organised my own art supplies, and looking forward to doing some real art in December. I've also pitched a few article ideas to the local paper, and it appears they've bitten. Wish me luck, please!

Happy Holidays to all, and let's check in as we can and have updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriegirl View Post
Hi All,
just catching up with everyone...
so glad to hear you are settled 'ontheroad'. I love that area in PA/NJ/NY.
My son Jesse went to camp up there every summer and we'd visit him and it was beautiful. Hope you are faring well.
Stormweary, are you in New Orleans yet? You sounded as though you were pretty decided about it in the last posts.
Dancingearth, I wonder if you are still in WA?

Well, I am still in NJ. Haven't done much travelling lately or looking for a new place. My husband had some surgery and was home for 2 months,and my middle son came home to live for a while, but has relocated in DC, so I had a housefull for a while.

I know what you all said about the feeling of 'home' and I guess that is the Jersey Shore to me, but I still have the 'dream' of living in an artsy place with other artists.
I mean, we had a nice summer and fall here, but now it's getting that grey color of the rest of the year, and I find it hard to be creative or even deal with it at all.
Maybe I just need to relocate to a warmer,sunnier place, and the rest will follow. Nah.
I'm still gonna hold on to my dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,911,600 times
Reputation: 3840
Thanks for adding Baltimore to the choices. I always loved the City especially at night but never had much time during my stays to visit the AVAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
American Visionary Art Museum

---Baltimore has a lot to offer, the above being just one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 05:31 PM
 
1,569 posts, read 3,085,352 times
Reputation: 924
Hey Iriegirl - nice to hear how it is going for you. And OntheRoad - been wondering how you're settling into the new place.

I am still in WA trying to decide what to do and where I want to live--I'll get kicked out of school in June for sure (I have enough credits to graduate but have stayed for more.) Tomorrow I have a job interview in town. I'm hoping I get it and then I'll apply to graduate and can start doing pottery (and saving for a bigger place with a studio) instead of studying and working all the time. My wheel sits in my kitchen looking forlorn.

If I don't get the job, we'll see. I won't take just anything to stay here although I like being near my youngest son. I promised friends I'd stay until June and then if I haven't found a job I like, I'll check out ABQ or Pittsburgh. Yes, my family in eastern PA has worn me down to at least check out Pittsburgh. My sister-in-law told me Perry County PA (above Harrisburg) has an artist community but I see nothing on-line about it. Except that it is 98.1% white and "redneck." I'll take that with a grain of salt but I do like more diversity. Think the closest I'd get to eastern PA is Pittsburgh. I'll need to go back and read everything on Pittsburgh. Hopefully I'll get this job and start getting involved with the community here and go back and visit NM and PA. This town has many artists and events and I'm sure I could make it work. I might have to buy a place outside of town though unless houses come down more.

I got creative at Thanksgiving. Bought the fixings, invited my son and his girlfriend and another friend and then wondered where we would sit to eat so when another friend invited me I invited all of us to their house and then talked a ceramic artist friend into taking time off from her studio to come on over too. Hahaha--I'm having a party - can we do it at your house? They loved it since they are very social and their family wasn't coming and they got to meet some new people--they don't have time to make new friends because they have a crazy schedule with children, step-children. I need a barn (or grange or old church) to live in so I can invite all my friends (artists and all) to come on over.

OntheRoad - how's your friend in Abeerden? We never did find time to connect.

Happy Holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 10:13 AM
 
156 posts, read 665,496 times
Reputation: 78
Hi all,
great to hear from you ,ontheroad, you sound happy! That's cool about all the art events, wish we had that here in NJ. This area is so much more urban than it used to be, we are really a suburb of NYC now, too crowded and noisy. And, Good Luck with the writing! sounds right up your alley. Let me know how it goes, and how you are doing with your artwork. I made some artist friends online from LiveJournal, and it's encouraging to hear folks making money with their artwork.

Dancingearth, Hope you get the job!To me,it sounds like you really want to stay there, so I hope it works out. I love ceramics,and the PNW seems like a natural area to do that. Also, there are some well-known ceramic studios in PA.

I 'm ok, thinking to do some selling on eBay for now. Sometimes when I search for art jobs, all I get are graphic art jobs, but there are some fine art jobs in NYC, if I could commute. Its about an hour though, and I'm thinking about it. Maybe I could do part time.
I still think about moving to an art town, and I still think about opening an art co-op! But it has to be in a place where they value art, not here at the jersey shore.
Maybe if we stay in touch, we'll all end up in the same place! ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2007, 04:21 PM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,911,600 times
Reputation: 3840
Dancingearth, sounds as if you are getting closer and closer to a decision. If you decide to come back East, Pittsburgh or NE PA, let me know.

My friend in Aberdeen seems to be doing well. You might consider contacting her after the holidays.

And good luck with the job interview!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Hey Iriegirl - nice to hear how it is going for you. And OntheRoad - been wondering how you're settling into the new place.

I am still in WA trying to decide what to do and where I want to live--I'll get kicked out of school in June for sure (I have enough credits to graduate but have stayed for more.) Tomorrow I have a job interview in town. I'm hoping I get it and then I'll apply to graduate and can start doing pottery (and saving for a bigger place with a studio) instead of studying and working all the time. My wheel sits in my kitchen looking forlorn.

If I don't get the job, we'll see. I won't take just anything to stay here although I like being near my youngest son. I promised friends I'd stay until June and then if I haven't found a job I like, I'll check out ABQ or Pittsburgh. Yes, my family in eastern PA has worn me down to at least check out Pittsburgh. My sister-in-law told me Perry County PA (above Harrisburg) has an artist community but I see nothing on-line about it. Except that it is 98.1% white and "redneck." I'll take that with a grain of salt but I do like more diversity. Think the closest I'd get to eastern PA is Pittsburgh. I'll need to go back and read everything on Pittsburgh. Hopefully I'll get this job and start getting involved with the community here and go back and visit NM and PA. This town has many artists and events and I'm sure I could make it work. I might have to buy a place outside of town though unless houses come down more.

I got creative at Thanksgiving. Bought the fixings, invited my son and his girlfriend and another friend and then wondered where we would sit to eat so when another friend invited me I invited all of us to their house and then talked a ceramic artist friend into taking time off from her studio to come on over too. Hahaha--I'm having a party - can we do it at your house? They loved it since they are very social and their family wasn't coming and they got to meet some new people--they don't have time to make new friends because they have a crazy schedule with children, step-children. I need a barn (or grange or old church) to live in so I can invite all my friends (artists and all) to come on over.

OntheRoad - how's your friend in Abeerden? We never did find time to connect.

Happy Holidays!

iriegirl, I think I am happy. And ages ago I was a regular lj user, but haven't been on since I went on the road. Perhaps we've even read each other's secrets.

Again happy holidays to all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriegirl View Post
Hi all,
great to hear from you ,ontheroad, you sound happy! That's cool about all the art events, wish we had that here in NJ. This area is so much more urban than it used to be, we are really a suburb of NYC now, too crowded and noisy. And, Good Luck with the writing! sounds right up your alley. Let me know how it goes, and how you are doing with your artwork. I made some artist friends online from LiveJournal, and it's encouraging to hear folks making money with their artwork.

Dancingearth, Hope you get the job!To me,it sounds like you really want to stay there, so I hope it works out. I love ceramics,and the PNW seems like a natural area to do that. Also, there are some well-known ceramic studios in PA.

I 'm ok, thinking to do some selling on eBay for now. Sometimes when I search for art jobs, all I get are graphic art jobs, but there are some fine art jobs in NYC, if I could commute. Its about an hour though, and I'm thinking about it. Maybe I could do part time.
I still think about moving to an art town, and I still think about opening an art co-op! But it has to be in a place where they value art, not here at the jersey shore.
Maybe if we stay in touch, we'll all end up in the same place! ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top