U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 06:04 PM

182 posts, read 752,002 times

Advertisements

Hello, hello to everyone who had participated in this thread. I have been down the rabbit hole and have come out the other side so to speak. Got caught up with moving to New Orleans and trying to find a house, currently renting an older home and it has cured me of the desire to renovate one. Things are moving slowly here but I see signs of recovery. I' m hoping to find a small cottage with a garage that I can convert into a studio but haven't had luck with that.

The arts are alive and well . There is a new area on St. Claude where the "avant-garde" have settled. Newer galleries are popping up there. The more established warehouse district galleries are back as is magazine street. And not just visual but music and poetry readings and such are to be found all over. The museum is free to La. residents which is nice on the pocketbook.

Downside: still alot of work to be done, rents are higher and it sometimes hard to find a nice place to rent. utilities are much higher. And yes, crime is still a problem. Uptown has seen a surge of break ins and such. the streets are still in bad shape but there is talk of some areas getting help. Medical care is on the up swing but still an issue if you have some specific problem. Right now there is an ozone alert for the area and my eyes are watering and burning after being outside for only about 10 minutes to water the plants!! oh yes, there are 6 months of the year where you need to pay special attention to the the weather........

If you are a young artist looking for some funk and culture and an inspiring place, new orleans just might fit the bill. I moved back because it is home but it has been a bit of a challenge for me

hope everyone is well and sorry for not writing sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,436 times
Default Writers' and Multi-media Artists' Towns/small cities

Anyone have any recommendations?

Old 08-13-2009, 04:22 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,557,076 times
There are quite a few artists and local art museums in my small town of Lafayette Louisiana. Not sure if it would qualify as an artist town but dem Cajuns can paint cher!

Old 10-31-2011, 06:45 PM

34 posts, read 55,233 times
So I have looked through some of the posts on this thread and I have to say I am really surprised that NY, CA, WA, etc. are on these lists among other states/cities... These places are expensive! Yes, they are artsy, but most people cannot afford to live there. I am originally from Thousand Oaks, CA and I would LOVE to move back, but I can't afford to. A 1 bedroom apartment is like $1,200 or more a month! That is insane!! I don't know, maybe you all are making really good money, but for me as a fairly young artist who is just starting out. None of these places would work for me... Sorry if I sound like a debby downer... I am in search of my own little slice of heaven and so far my search has not gotten me very far... Lol.

Any artist communities in a state that is NOT humid and has decent apartments for $500 a month and good jobs??? Lol!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:59 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,648 times
This is a very old thread, and I'm only commenting because you sound younger.

Rents are fairly high everyplace now. In the "old days" you could find a reasonable apartment for a really good price.

The only place I can think of that may be fairly reasonable is Bisbee, Arizona. Everyplace is going up -- especially when the housing market hit the ceiling, so did the rents.

My only suggestion is to try to find one or two other aspiring artists and get a house together and form your own art co-op.

As for "good jobs," obviously, that is a problem nowadays, too.

I feel for you. It is hard for so many people nowadays.

The unfortunate thing is that even in supposedly "cheap" places, often those low rents are off-set by high utility bills, or high crime, or horrible weather. There are always pros and cons.

Now, I think it is more realistic to consider having roommates of like-mind. I don't think the housing market (rents included) will be better any time soon.

Good luck to you, and don't ever forget your dream -- some day it will come true!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:43 PM

Thanks Wisteria! Yeah I just now realized this thread is old. Haha! I am still getting used to navigating around this forum. Thank you again for the advice!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:45 PM

56,633 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Keep in mind that not all of NY is expensive. Much of Upstate NY has below average overall cost of living on a national level.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:36 PM

Oh good! I've always wanted to check out NY.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,436 times
checked out Oswego on Sperling and saw cost of living stats that were certainly NOT affordable (112-115%), and the air quality is only 57-maybe its gotten like this over the past 6 yrs.......I have been researching like crazy for a clean, affordable art community-not an easy task-want water nearby and college influence at least within a half hr....at this point I have pretty much crossed off everything from the east coast and am now looking at Fairfield Iowa and a few places in Michigan......

Old 03-30-2013, 11:30 AM

56,633 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykelseydavis View Post
checked out Oswego on Sperling and saw cost of living stats that were certainly NOT affordable (112-115%), and the air quality is only 57-maybe its gotten like this over the past 6 yrs.......I have been researching like crazy for a clean, affordable art community-not an easy task-want water nearby and college influence at least within a half hr....at this point I have pretty much crossed off everything from the east coast and am now looking at Fairfield Iowa and a few places in Michigan......
Are you sure, as this says something different in regards to Oswego: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

As you can see, it is under the national average at 95. Even Ithaca is around the national average and Plattsburgh is under the national average too. Geneva is another place that may work, as could Geneseo.

Last edited by Yac; 04-09-2013 at 06:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or