U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:43 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,910,412 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Crew Chief, don't worry about colours--you are in the male majority in terms of the green-grey dilemma. It is common apparently!

I forgot that Antioch College is in Yellow Springs. Sounds like a good place and gotta have and love those libraries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Ontheroad, unfortunately, I can't even tell you what color our house is (I say it's "green"; wife sez it's "grey") so I'm probably not the best person to ask about what goes on in Yellow Springs, art-wise... But I do know that it's the home of very liberal Antioch College, they have a number of artist-oriented programs and festivals (Sorry, you'll have to Google around since I'm almost brain-dead at the moment) Yellow Springs is in the Dayton area, but many of the folks over there seem to be able to think a little better for themselves than some of the rest of us, IMHO

As for libraries, I'm married to a teacher, so we have a vested interest in quality libraries. Our local (Washington Twp) has two good ones, I believe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 02:49 PM

Geez, lorelei, I wish I had known more about this before I drove East. I have two artist friends in MT, and a long-term friend in Bozeman who runs a radio station. I always thought MT a grand place to visit but more isolated than I could handle. Might have been wrong!

Your description of the community is near the ideal!

Thanks so much for pointing us in this direction!

And as far as Port Townsend is concerned, I did make a trip through there in '02 especially as there is an annual art workshop in town run by some acquaintances. It is going on right now in fact. But, after my visit there, I thought it too remote, also.

I think I need a bigger place than Port Townsend or Taos, but way smaller city than NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei2873 View Post
I live in Helena, MT, and we're promoting ourselves as "The Best Small Art Town" in America. We have a very vibrant performing arts scene and a great modern art museum. We also have a unique and prestigous center where artists come and live to work on ceramic arts (the Archie Bray). There's also another artists' community in the area called Montana Artists' Refuge. We have art walks regularly, hold the Western Rendezvous of Art, and have various galleries and resident artists. We have jazz & blue grass festivals in the summer and a great restored territorial jail that is now a center for the performing arts. One of my neighbors makes fine Shaker furniture and ships it all over the world from his gallery. The cost of living is great, and there are many Victorian homes and mansions for sale or for rent. Come stay in Helena for a while! The natural surroundings will inspire you.

I also think Port Townsend, Washington, is a great little art community. However, prices have really skyrocketed there in the last few years.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:28 PM

156 posts, read 665,464 times
HEY Ontheroad! good to hear from you too! and I agree with what you said here
"I had a really hard learning, but important lesson in selling art in Rhode Island. In Newport, it is a breeze to sell art, especially if it is not your own. In Providence, RI (which appears in Category 2, I believe) you can barely make a living selling anyone's art, especially your own.
Although there is a wonderful art community in Providence (including and excluding all of the RISD grads), no one seems to buy locally. So everyone sits around cafes and eats good Italian food, enjoys cold drinks in Spring..."

That is just how it is here at the central Jersey Shore...Even though I know there are many artists here, most of them are in a kind-of 'clique'.But they don't have hardly any art shows or means of selling. Some towns have shows, Westfield,or Summitt, but no one around here even seems interested in art at all.
Lorelei, Your town is in the art books ,and several other Montana towns as well. It sounds excellent, but I know my dh wouldn't want to go colder than here. even though I'm sure Montana is beautiful.
Good discussion guys!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:40 PM

Iriegirl, and anyone else, I was thinking so much about what makes an art community since we started this thread, and even before, Iriegirl, when you, me, Stormweary and the others were chatting heavily.

I would love it if we'd pool our thoughts and lay out what we'd need to create a vibrant art community.

I just started a list in my head, but I'm going to put it down on paper. This is important to me because a) I lived in NYC, and although we had many art communities, the City is too big for maturing an organization. I started an art community with one person, got it up to about 40, but folks were just overloaded and we couldn't get to second base--putting our dollars toward a home for the group; and b) I started a group in Rhode Island, a State the size of some cities, and had much more success getting folks interested, but people with the bucks were only willing to participate in my scheme to be members, not to buy art. I had a gallery in Newport with my brother and we made lots of money, but selling 19th century art. I had a partner in a gallery in Providence, and all we had was good wine and no sales. (Both of these were part-time).

In NM, Taos, in particular, I started nothing! It was beyond me how to mobilize folks with that much inertia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriegirl View Post
HEY Ontheroad! good to hear from you too! and I agree with what you said here
"I had a really hard learning, but important lesson in selling art in Rhode Island. In Newport, it is a breeze to sell art, especially if it is not your own. In Providence, RI (which appears in Category 2, I believe) you can barely make a living selling anyone's art, especially your own.
Although there is a wonderful art community in Providence (including and excluding all of the RISD grads), no one seems to buy locally. So everyone sits around cafes and eats good Italian food, enjoys cold drinks in Spring..."

That is just how it is here at the central Jersey Shore...Even though I know there are many artists here, most of them are in a kind-of 'clique'.But they don't have hardly any art shows or means of selling. Some towns have shows, Westfield,or Summitt, but no one around here even seems interested in art at all.
Lorelei, Your town is in the art books ,and several other Montana towns as well. It sounds excellent, but I know my dh wouldn't want to go colder than here. even though I'm sure Montana is beautiful.
Good discussion guys!

Old 03-28-2007, 04:27 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,085,138 times
I like the idea. I'll think about this and write more later. I know I like events that encourage anyone to be creative. Free art studios, an outreach to teach young women how to weave and strengthen their culture, giant puppet making workshops and a community parade where you have to ask for help to "be" the puppet. Draws people together. It is important for me to have an outreach that connects people's creativity. New ideas, people with a passion for creating...create lots of energy for more creating. After reading Plato and Volitaire, I decided the meaning of life is to make art. Imagine a world that makes creating art a priority and encourages others to find a way to express their creativity. Nirvana.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:31 PM

Sure wouldn't mind some convivium with and in that nirvana!

Thanks, Dancingearth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I like the idea. I'll think about this and write more later. I know I like events that encourage anyone to be creative. Free art studios, an outreach to teach young women how to weave and strengthen their culture, giant puppet making workshops and a community parade where you have to ask for help to "be" the puppet. Draws people together. It is important for me to have an outreach that connects people's creativity. New ideas, people with a passion for creating...create lots of energy for more creating. After reading Plato and Volitaire, I decided the meaning of life is to make art. Imagine a world that makes creating art a priority and encourages others to find a way to express their creativity. Nirvana.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:22 PM

156 posts, read 665,464 times
Cool thread Ontheroad,
You cracked me up with that line about how to "mobilize people with that much inertia" ...that's hysterical! You surely have tried though, many times and different ways. I think thats great. Mostly all I have done is fantasize about it, but I do have a few artist friends in an online community, Live Journal.

Good ideas Dancingearth, just to get people interested would be a feat here...but worth discussing. Theres only one gallery in my town ,and I don't even want to go in there, its just not appealing. But I think this could be a good artsy place though, we do have the shore, and lots of affluent communities, and tourists in the summer. Actually, in Ocean Grove they do have an art fair, like once or twice a year, & its really crowded.

I'll do some more thinking on the subject and lets talk again!

Old 03-28-2007, 06:20 PM

When I moved to Washington I considered Port Townsend. Very cute town right on the water and more sun than normal in western WA but few jobs and no four year college. It was a little too remote and expensive. And someone from there told me that it can smell pretty bad when the paper mills are running. Or was that the old days? But they do have Shed Boys with a sandwich named after them (so I hear.) I love to visit. If I picked rural, it would be the Olympic Peninsula. Gorgeous.

Helena, Mt sounds enticing, especially the ceramics part. Another student of ceramics just went for his MFA in ceramics somewhere in MT. Now there's a thought--keep going to school. I'll add a roadtrip to MT to my summer itinerary. Thanks for the idea!

Old 03-28-2007, 06:44 PM

Hi Iriegirl, Did that book say what criteria they used to select the towns? It couldn't be affordability. Most artists I know who are attempting to support themselves on their art have found a really really cheap way to live (housing.) My friends in Santa Fe either had alimony or inherited land or homes.

I use to laugh in Santa Fe when they said $150,000 was affordable housing and that was ten years ago! Now $200,000 is affordable--not in my world. Of course, I could give up food and lose the weight I've gained since going to college. Nope, that won't work, I don't eat THAT much. :-)

Old 03-29-2007, 08:24 AM

One of the things that makes it easier to gather folks together is a newsletter, one that reaches the immediate and a larger community. With the internet, newsletters can be distributed more widely, and with little cost.

Hudson Valley (NYS) has a large, but spread out art community, around Woodstock. Sometime ago, perhaps just a little over a year, the community started this newsletter:

http://www.ourhudsonvalley.net/

It has grown enormously since it began, and as Phoenicia (NY) was one of several places I was looking at, and I had a half a dozen art acquaintances in that area, I put myself on their mailing list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or