U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2007, 01:57 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,922,354 times

Advertisements

I play around with ideas like this. And yes, Madrid and Taos are too small, and far too expensive to live, work and relate to on a daily basis. I actually found Santa Fe less expensive this last year--overall.

It's the journey of discovery that is interesting, all the nitpicking ideas that float free and don't necessarily get captured that often intrigue me. But would I want to share it: probably! Although it could change the town/city for the worse, I'd not keep it a secret, but hope it would multiple and become a trend.

It's about that convivium we referred to earlier; without partnership, we are virtually all alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
I keep playing with the idea of writing about the artist' journey. No matter where I live, I find creative people, living creative ways in order to do their art. Every so often I write down questions I would explore. Combining that with the town might be interesting.

I'd also explore what happens when a town gets to be known as an artist town. I'm guessing, it becomes a tourist town instead. Madrid & Taos NM are two I think are tourist towns. They are too small and expensive to support any new incoming artists. Santa Fe is a tourist town but maybe because it is larger with more venues to sell and more diversity in jobs artists are finding ways to survive there and do their art even when they haven't made it "big" by getting into the galleries on Canyon Road. Of course, the jobs are mostly state & tourism--I never met so many well educated people working multiple low paying jobs just so they could live there.

If you found a place that was nirvana, would you want to publicize it? It would be an interesting experiment. A recipe book... How to create your very own artist town
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 02:04 PM

Just another quick thought: I met Natalie Goldberg at the Harwood this summer. She was speaking with Goldberry Long as part of a SOMOS program.

Do you remember her first book? Surely, a recipe for success on writing without all the answers but a great introduction to soup n nutz!

Old 03-29-2007, 02:26 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,087,395 times
Yep, I have a few of her books. My Practice of Writing class did her suggestion on timed writings. Everyone put some word or phrase in a hat and wrote about it, usually for a few minutes to 10 minutes and then we'd go around the room and read them. Her books are always good for inspiration and reminders to keep writing. I was wondering if you ran into her in Taos.

Another good one is Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:54 PM

1,025 posts, read 3,766,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
As I mentioned on the thread to plaidmom, but for everyone, wouldn't it be fun to write our own book. After all who would be better than a bunch of folks on a llist like this and spread throughout the States, and with more to gain than money--but nirvana.
What a great idea! Any profits could benefit your convivium!

While on the art towns/art books topic, this one looks pretty good!

How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist: Selling Yourself Without Selling Your Soul by Caroll Michels

Old 03-29-2007, 03:13 PM

Yes, Lamott's book is good.

It is so easy, if you walk around town, to run into lots of folks, although in Santa Fe, you might catch more. In Taos, it is generally at a party or an event like the one at the Harwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Yep, I have a few of her books. My Practice of Writing class did her suggestion on timed writings. Everyone put some word or phrase in a hat and wrote about it, usually for a few minutes to 10 minutes and then we'd go around the room and read them. Her books are always good for inspiration and reminders to keep writing. I was wondering if you ran into her in Taos.

Another good one is Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:16 PM

This one looks like a good recommendation. I'll make a list and see if I can get any or all at the library.

Thanks, Figment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post
What a great idea! Any profits could benefit your convivium!

While on the art towns/art books topic, this one looks pretty good!

How to Survive and Prosper as an Artist: Selling Yourself Without Selling Your Soul by Caroll Michels

Old 03-29-2007, 04:41 PM

436 posts, read 523,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iriegirl View Post
Ontheroad,
I love the Hudson Valley, but I don't think I want to live there. It's pretty spread out, like you said, and I bet it has some great resources. I just need to get out of the NE for a while.
And, my stuff is so far removed from the "hudson valley" school look, not sure ,but I don't think I'd fit in, but I'm prob. wrong. I love to talk to other artists, no matter what their style.
I loved my time in the Mid-Hudson Valley (thank goodness that my late wife finally dragged me there from LA).
The changing colors of the Catskill mountains from across the Hudson River near Greenport (near Fredrick Church's Alana) are hypnotic & incredibly inspiring (unlike anywhere I remember, and I've traveled through Europe, the Blue Ridge/Rockies, etc.). To anyone lucky enough to visit up that way for a week or so during the warmer months, be sure to see Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz, Alana (Greenport), the performing arts center at Bard College (Tivoli-area where we rented for awhile before buying near Woodstock), and the Rhinebeck Areodrome - I think you can still pay to go up in an old prop plane for a panoramic view of the whole valley. Woodstock is nearby, and Rick Orlando's New World Cuisine in Saugerties is unbeatable for a meal & not far from the restaurant have a local point out where the Band's 'Music from Big Pink' house used to be, and that's just scratching the surface of things to do. The confluence history, country rural, NYC people, and an educated populace makes for a stimulating place to be if you like that kind of environment.

Last edited by brian_2; 03-29-2007 at 04:59 PM..

Old 03-30-2007, 08:25 AM

brian_2, many thanks for that beautifully described picture of the Mid-Hudson Valley. It is a truly special place!

Old 03-30-2007, 10:54 AM

156 posts, read 665,791 times
Hi All,
That sounds like a good book about making it in NY , thanks Figment 07. I may be able to get some pieces in a NY showroom,if I could get off my a_s, and stay off the computer for a while!

I have read the other book, by Carol Michels , it was good, but I have a problem with these books in general.
I read them, and they mostly all say the same things, that you have to get out there and promote your art, and send out resumes and slides,etc,...
and I know that's what I should do,
----but I don't do it. :-(
So then, I sell the books on ebay! lol

anyway,
Dancingearth, The newest Villani book has Bellingham,Forks,Friday Harbor,Langley, and Port Townsend as the WA towns. They all sound great...but a little too rainy for me.
I don't know why, maybe its just my make-up, but rain depresses me.

Ontheroad, That sounds wonderful about writing about art towns. I think between all of us,we have more experience to do that, at least from a REAL artist's perspective, not someone who can afford to do art as a hobby, or has no need for $$. I envy the amount of travelling that you've done. I'm trying to catch up,by going away in my rv for a few weeks at a time, when my dh can get off work. BTW, thats cool about the artists in NYstate being into modern, I didn't know,thanks.

I have a book to add to the list , it's a favorite of mine, and one that I really did the suggestions in the workbook that you can get to go along with it.
The Vein of Gold and The Artists Way by Julia Cameron are good.
and did you ever use this site for books? It gives you a best price comparison for the book you want. I think it's called
www.fetchbook.info

http://product.half.ebay.com/_W0QQpr...QQcpidZ1649421

ok, gotta go paint, wish me luck. This guy wants something new and fresh, and I've been researching some art,.....you know that weird stuff like Mark Ryden does? Its like outsider art,or anime,or raw,or monsters, or grafitti -like? Well, I'm gonna go try it because thats what he wants,and I need to sell a painting!

have a good day, catch up with ya later,
iriegirl

Old 04-03-2007, 07:54 AM

Iriegirl, I wish we lived closer--and I'd raid your library!

Dreamingearth, I was in touch with my friend in Aberdeen. Can you send me a PM so I can let her know how to contact you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or