U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 01:43 PM

182 posts, read 752,179 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
Where to start? I "met" ontheroad in the New Mexico thread talking about artist towns. At the time I had thought NM would be the place for me but after much research have decided to look elsewhere. Family is on the east coast and I don't know a soul out there!!

I too have the artist small town book and its good for a starting point.

I am currently wrestling with whether to stay in Central Fl. or move up north to be closer to my daughter in Connecticut. For me, the north east is the best for any kind of art. I find the inspiration from the place and the museums are the best. I lived for awhile at West Point and it was there that I started a serious pursuit of art. Because of the encouragement of the art group there at the time, I went on and got my BA and MFA in fine arts. The Hudson Valley and New York are special to me. The biggest disadvantage to Central Fl. is the lack of quality museums and art galleries,imo. And then there is those hurricanes......BUT there is a good airport that has flights to just about everywhere so it would be easy to visit those places with the museums.

My quest is to find an affordable art town. One that I can do art full time without having to worry about a high cost of living.

In my research I found a company called Artspace. they go in and buy older buildings renovate them and then rent them to artists. Was wondering if anyone had experience with them or knew of them. there are 3 in Ct. Hartford, Wilimantic and Norwich, as well as thru out the Northeast, Midwest and North West. I think there may be one here in Fl. somewhere. Sounds like a neat idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 01:48 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,920,738 times
stormweary, I'm so pleased you found us! I hope someone does know about the Artspace group. I checked their website after I read about it in the CT forum but didn't find anything to distinguish it as a living-working atmosphere.

And interesting to learn you've spent time in the lush Mid-Hudson Valley! I am thinking of juggling some plans and taking a workshop up near Hudson (NY) the first week of May.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:14 PM

9,888 posts, read 20,181,181 times
I see no one has mentioned Athens, GA. It's better known for its music scene, but its arts community is vibrant and alive. There is a fair amount of cross pollination going on between it, Atlanta, Asheville, and NYC. Seems the people I've known over the years have made the circuit from one place to the next and back again.

They are serious artists, as much as you can be serious and an artist at the same time - not to take oneself too seriously, nor to even call oneself an artist perhaps? It's a funny line to walk, who has the right to call themselves artists to begin with? Maybe interpreter caught up in the moment? Person with a message? Message with a person? Person who makes colorful rectangles for walls? Prankster. Technician. Human with a camera and nothing better to do? Someone who arranges junk for effect? Linear experimentalist? Naked for no better reason.

That will be my lecture for the evening, class...

It's a nice community. I remember it kindly.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:33 PM

7,139 posts, read 13,189,449 times
I did not see Jerome, AZ mentioned, way up in the mountains, very eclectic and charming town. Also Bisbee, AZ way south in the desert.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:08 AM

lilypad, are you in AZ and if so, can you talk some about one or both of these towns?

I think I was in Jerome in '92 if that is the tiny town with the one-road in, and the same road out. Quaint, but somewhat on the touristic side, if we are talking about the same town.

And I never heard of Bisbee, and always curious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I did not see Jerome, AZ mentioned, way up in the mountains, very eclectic and charming town. Also Bisbee, AZ way south in the desert.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:12 AM

I sure heard of Athens, GA, but never had the pleasure of visiting. I had some friends from back there when I lived in NYC. Nice folks but neither were artists, both academics.

Interesting questions you raise? It sounds as if you may be teaching on the subject? Am I reading you correctly?

I am on several artgroup lists, and the what of art, and the who of art, is always a hot topic (and to clarify artgroups they are mainly either using oil, watercolour or pastel on a surface).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I see no one has mentioned Athens, GA. It's better known for its music scene, but its arts community is vibrant and alive. There is a fair amount of cross pollination going on between it, Atlanta, Asheville, and NYC. Seems the people I've known over the years have made the circuit from one place to the next and back again.

They are serious artists, as much as you can be serious and an artist at the same time - not to take oneself too seriously, nor to even call oneself an artist perhaps? It's a funny line to walk, who has the right to call themselves artists to begin with? Maybe interpreter caught up in the moment? Person with a message? Message with a person? Person who makes colorful rectangles for walls? Prankster. Technician. Human with a camera and nothing better to do? Someone who arranges junk for effect? Linear experimentalist? Naked for no better reason.

That will be my lecture for the evening, class...

It's a nice community. I remember it kindly.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:26 AM

Ontheroad:
the place in Willimantic (sp?) has studio space offered for rent as well as living space but the other 2, as far as I can tell, do not. Somewhere, I want to say, there was a statement about living and working in the same space.... anyway....my daughter lived in Wil. for awhile and she said the problem with it is that it was not close to anything, they would have to drive a 1/2 hour to go to a movie.... hopefully that is changing. The people on the Connecticut forum were not too fond of Wil.
Bisbee is one of the smaller towns mentioned in the artist town book.....

definition of artist.... I remember my undergraduate sculpture prof. saying something to the effect that he only considered himself an artist when he was actually creating the work.
Does having some education like a college degree make for an artist? What about self taught ones?
I liked you comments, ellie, hope you got a good discussion in your class from it....
The U. of Georgia is located in Athens hmmmmm.... wonder if they need any fine art adjuncts......

Old 04-04-2007, 08:36 AM

I have been trying to avoid buying books because being on the road means less is more, but this book has been mentioned several times as a "should read," and so I keep thinking about checking it out. Anyone read it?

The Accidental Masterpiece: On the Art of Life and Vice Versa" by Michael Kimmelman.
From inside the cover...Quote: To illustrate art's power to transform lives, Kimmelman describes a handful of people who regard art as life's great passion. A few of the characters he portrays, like Bonnard and Chardin, are great artists. But others are explorers and obscure obsessives, paint-by-numbers enthusiasts, amateur shutterbugs, and collectors of strange odds and ends. Yet others like Charlotte Salomon, a girl whom no one considered much of an artist until she secretly created a masterpiece before her death in Auschwitz, have received spots for themselves in history with a single work that encapsulates a whole life. What connects them to each other is their ability to find enlightenment and passion through the awareness their art provides

Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 AM

stormweary, I double checked on Willimantic. It is rather remote (for me) in Windham County, and mostly very rural. I've been through it, as I traveled around New England, continually in the 80s and 90s because I loved just looking at the countryside. I know of many tiny art communities spread out throughout CT, but none that would sustain an artist sufficiently. You'll find potters, glass-blowers, artists making a living framing, and some other terrific craft folks in pockets but I never got the impression that they collaborated or even knew each other.

If I compare Windham Cty with the Mid-Hudson, we are talking night and day. The single advantage I can think of for the Willimantic area would be cost of living, and in your case, proximity to your family.

Another conundrum! Where is it (for each of us) I wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
Ontheroad:
the place in Willimantic (sp?) has studio space offered for rent as well as living space but the other 2, as far as I can tell, do not. Somewhere, I want to say, there was a statement about living and working in the same space.... anyway....my daughter lived in Wil. for awhile and she said the problem with it is that it was not close to anything, they would have to drive a 1/2 hour to go to a movie.... hopefully that is changing. The people on the Connecticut forum were not too fond of Wil.
Bisbee is one of the smaller towns mentioned in the artist town book.....

definition of artist.... I remember my undergraduate sculpture prof. saying something to the effect that he only considered himself an artist when he was actually creating the work.
Does having some education like a college degree make for an artist? What about self taught ones?
I liked you comments, ellie, hope you got a good discussion in your class from it....
The U. of Georgia is located in Athens hmmmmm.... wonder if they need any fine art adjuncts......

Old 04-04-2007, 12:57 PM

The book you mentioned, ontheroad, sounds good. I have not heard of it before.

What you say about Willimantic is exactly how my daughter felt about the place.

My plan is to see how things go down here thru the fall and then try and make some kind of decision. I find I no longer want to wander around and want to settle somewhere. I realize there is no perfect place so I have to decide what is most important to me and go from there. If I could I wouldn't mind moving back to home but I don't see that as an option right now. Recovery in New Orleans is VERY slow and there is too much uncertainty right now. It is so sad.

I did recently visit there and got to see the Femme, Femme, Femme exhibition at the museum . It was depictions of 19th C French women and was a lovely show. After Katrina the French toured the city and put this show together to help rebuild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or