U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2007, 06:56 AM

182 posts, read 751,805 times

Advertisements

For those of your who are interested: there is are pictures and a discussion about Willimantic in the Connecticut forum thread.: Willimantic pro and con

the picture of the thread mill turn art space is esp. nice. What a beautiful site!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 07:09 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,906,244 times
Thanks, here's the link:

willimantic pros and cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
For those of your who are interested: there is are pictures and a discussion about Willimantic in the Connecticut forum thread.: Willimantic pro and con

the picture of the thread mill turn art space is esp. nice. What a beautiful site!!

Old 04-10-2007, 12:40 PM

I found a 4th artist living-working situation in Pittsburgh today:

http://www.artistsandcities.org/ice_house.html (broken link)

Old 04-10-2007, 08:21 PM

182 posts, read 751,805 times
thanks ontheroad:it seems most of these types of places are located in the northeast, northwest, north in general. I wonder if there are any places in the south.
In downtown New Orleans, there were some older cotton mills that were converted into condos with VERY expensive price tags on them......

Old 04-10-2007, 08:23 PM

322 posts, read 1,134,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Some of us hijacked a thread on where we'd like to live, so I thought we could all move over to our own thread and share some of our ideas, notions of where to live and find our nirvana!
Artists huh??? PEI, Canada!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 08:31 PM

If I see or hear of any, I'll post. I haven't looked much in the South, but it is likely that communities have them (thinking places like TN and elsewhere).

Yes, older cotton mills in the South makes sense. The first few conversions I saw for loft space other than SoHo were all in old mills or industrial buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormweary View Post
thanks ontheroad:it seems most of these types of places are located in the northeast, northwest, north in general. I wonder if there are any places in the south.
In downtown New Orleans, there were some older cotton mills that were converted into condos with VERY expensive price tags on them......

Old 04-10-2007, 08:35 PM

Can you add more than that? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_eh_ND View Post
Artists huh??? PEI, Canada!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 08:49 PM

9,866 posts, read 20,151,295 times
Quote:
I found a 4th artist living-working situation in Pittsburgh today:

http://www.artistsandcities.org/ice_house.html (broken link)
Sounds nice but even that is expensive, especially if there's no guarantee of even a sink! Would that mean that you would have to live elsewhere?

I was talking to an architect friend today about building a studio out of one of the new Quonset style buildings, trying to figure out how to get the maximum amount of cool looking space for the best price. No conclusions yet. Still in the cyphering stages of planning. It'll be about 6 weeks before my feet are actually on the ground in my new locale.

OTR, are you looking for an urban area to set up shop or is this all hypothetical?

Old 04-10-2007, 08:51 PM

322 posts, read 1,134,861 times
Quote:
Can you add more than that? Thanks.
What kind of artist?? Fine art? Music? can you be more specific and maybe I can be more helpful?

Old 04-10-2007, 08:56 PM

Nope, not hypothetical.

I am hoping to find some mini-nirvana that will both feed my soul, ease my pain and provide me with sufficient stimulation to do those things that took a back seat whilst I ploughed the field of an academic and non-academic working life.

And a quonset might be a good idea; or a yurt. I nearly spent the winter in one in the Santa Fe hills, but chickened out when I realized I'd be facing a few bears. -- However, the yurt was terrific; spacious, with a loft, and one of the most modern kitchens I've ever seen--and quite reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Sounds nice but even that is expensive, especially if there's no guarantee of even a sink! Would that mean that you would have to live elsewhere?

I was talking to an architect friend today about building a studio out of one of the new Quonset style buildings, trying to figure out how to get the maximum amount of cool looking space for the best price. No conclusions yet. Still in the cyphering stages of planning. It'll be about 6 weeks before my feet are actually on the ground in my new locale.

OTR, are you looking for an urban area to set up shop or is this all hypothetical?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or