U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:39 PM

9,594 posts, read 23,695,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post
Here is a chart that helps to determine how different temperatures combined with humidity affect the body:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wheat3.htm
Thanks for the link.

Since my numbers were not divisible by 5, I had to "extrapolate."

So the contruction work I did at a heat index of about 115 F, though there were frequent gusts at maybe 10 mph a few times a minute.

Apparently this is supposed to be dangerous, even though I spent all day outside (minus a 20 minute in a lunchroom with A/C) and nothing happened, besides feeling oily and tiring out only a little easier than if it was 65 F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 02:28 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,752,725 times
Funny, I kind of asked the same thing here a few weeks back.

Sometimes your problems follow you. However, moving for some of us is not a choice, but a necessity (bad local economy for example).

Old 03-28-2007, 04:15 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,457,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post
Here is a chart that helps to determine how different temperatures combined with humidity affect the body:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wheat3.htm
Good site! Here in Texas, the heat index is terrible. During the summer, we are most often in the danger or extreme caution zone, but the extreme danger zone occurs as well.

ColdCanadian ~ I don't know how you did the work in that heat. It would literally kill me. I wait until dusk to mow the lawn and then have to take it in spurts or I get very dizzy, my heart pounds, and my head hums.

The weather guys here warn us all summer long of the danger as well as many days where the ozone is just to dangerous to do anything physical outdoors. So between the air quality, heat, and humidity, it's very unenjoyable.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

ColdCanadian ~ I don't know how you did the work in that heat. It would literally kill me.

I wait until dusk to mow the lawn and then have to take it in spurts or I get very dizzy, my heart pounds, and my head hums.

The weather guys here warn us all summer long of the danger as well as many days where the ozone is just to dangerous to do anything physical outdoors. So between the air quality, heat, and humidity, it's very unenjoyable.
Likewise I don't understand why a heat index of between 100-110 F can be dangerous, unless you run out of cold drinks.

For me to feel that bad, you'd probably have to put a bag over my head when the heat index is 115 F.

Our air is also always very smoggy and polluted when it's hot but I have never been able to notice the poor air quality either; unless it's rush hour on a calm, hot day and I'm stuck in a traffic jam.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:03 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,457,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Likewise I don't understand why a heat index of between 100-110 F can be dangerous, unless you run out of cold drinks.

For me to feel that bad, you'd probably have to put a bag over my head when the heat index is 115 F.

Our air is also always very smoggy and polluted when it's hot but I have never been able to notice the poor air quality either; unless it's rush hour on a calm, hot day and I'm stuck in a traffic jam.
Heat affects everyone differently, I guess, and you're just one of the lucky ones.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Heat affects everyone differently, I guess, and you're just one of the lucky ones.
I suppose...

This is how our climate feels to me:

We get 80-150 days of brutal cold,
another 100 or so days of just uncomfortable cold,
maybe another 80 or so days of cool-to-warmish weather,
and about 70 days of warm-to-very warm,
Zero-10 days of hot
Very or too hot; well that just doesn't exist.

(I understand my math probably doesn't add up, but you get the idea.)

*I guess it is a little comfort that any heat wave anywhere probably can't kill me, if I have enough to drink.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-29-2007 at 08:51 AM..

Old 03-30-2007, 04:54 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,382,237 times
I've noticed this A LOT on these forums. But no place is perfect! I just think people need to have reasonable expectations. I've lived in the Charlotte area all of my life (41 yrs.). I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. My family's here and it's always been a wonderful place to live. I see no reason to go anywhere else. I think many people these days (generally speaking) get bored very easily and are always in search of something, seldom satisfied. But I think America's great that we ahve so many wonderful areas from which to choose!

Old 03-31-2007, 11:45 AM

79 posts, read 402,667 times
What I find most funny is the fact people move back constantly! There is always someone on this board whos says "oh we wanted to get out so bad because (insert problem here) but when we moved there (insert problem here) and so it only took us six months to move back!"

LOL...I think moving around every six months is more a problem, at least in the short-term. Why move back after only six months...? To me that is throwing in the towel or you shouldn't have moved in the first place.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:46 AM

519 posts, read 1,911,929 times
If you look at various state forums...it's the same "quest"..reworded. All the future "homesteader" is looking for is: rural(but nearby everything), great schools, perfect climate, low/no crime, low taxes, great job opportunities, lots of recreational things to do, friendly-open locals, and not overrun with other newcomers, etc..etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or