U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:39 PM

32,320 posts, read 55,123,408 times

Advertisements

Utah is the friendliest to Non-Americans, at least as far as public policy goes, Utah is very accomodating to Illegal Aliens-giving them actual driver licenses, paying for their higher education etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,298 times
I am also born and raised in New Jersey. We are a very diverse culture here and everyone from all over the world seems to get along quite nicely here. I am loving to meet folks with foreign accents and I am sure that I speak for a lot of the folks here. I have always been amazed to hear that a lot of the country hate us folks from Jersey. It amazes me because we are a compassionate, accepting, and loving bunch of people for the most part. The only thing is that we are a pretty crowded state because a lot of people like living here high taxes and all, but do, please, come on over.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:48 PM

16,728 posts, read 23,147,812 times
Try the urban areas of southern New England (Boston, Providence, Hartford), the NYC area and its suburbs (New Jersey, Connecticut, Long Island and Westchester, NY), or the DC area (including parts of Maryland and Virginia). On the west Coast, LA and San Francisco are worldly.

With that, I'd say Manhattan, NY is friendliest to non-Americans.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:00 PM

7,814 posts, read 12,316,247 times
Unless you are obviously illegal (don't speak English, dress in a trashy and dirty manner, act like a gangster etc) you should be fine anywhere. I live in Baltimore, MD and formerly in New Orleans and have spent time throughout hte country and most people here are accepting of immigrants if they try to be American. If someone is illegal and refuses to assimilate that is a different story.

Also don't try to impose yourself on natives if that is an issue. For example some people get turned off when newcomers go into the schools and say that school prayer shouldn't be allowed, that under God shouldn't be in the pledge, etc or demand special Islamic prayer services be provided.

I actually see New England as one of the least diverse places in America along with the upper Midwest. In places like Arkansas and Kansas and especially Texas you can find black and/or Hispanic people and usually a few Asians even in very small towns while that is less true in New England which tends to be exclusively white. HOwever just because a town is mostly white doesn't necessarily mean its racist or unwelcoming maybe just no businesses to attract immigrants or transplants. As long as you present yourself well, don't act like an illegal and also don't act too elitist and you should be fine. Good luck in your move to America.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:05 PM

7,814 posts, read 12,316,247 times
Everyone loves Australians along with the Brits. Your accent would be considered very cool by most people also! I've heard that the state most similar to Australia is Texas. Both have a classic western/cowboy image and yet like Australia, Texas is very modern and urbanized/suburban at the same time. Texas is a good mix of cultures, especially in Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston. South Texas is predominantly Hispanic. DFW and Houston are an international mix of everywhere plus strong native Texan influences. The Panhandle and West Texas are a mix of Anglo and Hispanic cultures which includes Mexican Americans who have lived here for generations vs recent immigrants, and also mixed people as well.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:11 PM

43,534 posts, read 52,616,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
New England is pretty friendly and tolerant, people there just don't fake extroversion that much and keep to themselves more. .
See, to you it's 'faking' because you'd be faking.
We don't fake because we're not fake.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,133,545 times
If you're from Australia I would strongly consider Texas or the Southwest. Australia sort of has that same frontier image that Texas has had because of the outback. Also, Australians have a love of barbecue! About the only other country that really does.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Everyone loves Australians along with the Brits. Your accent would be considered very cool by most people also! I've heard that the state most similar to Australia is Texas. Both have a classic western/cowboy image and yet like Australia, Texas is very modern and urbanized/suburban at the same time. Texas is a good mix of cultures, especially in Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston. South Texas is predominantly Hispanic. DFW and Houston are an international mix of everywhere plus strong native Texan influences. The Panhandle and West Texas are a mix of Anglo and Hispanic cultures which includes Mexican Americans who have lived here for generations vs recent immigrants, and also mixed people as well.
Dang, you beat me to it!

Old 10-05-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Unless you are obviously illegal (don't speak English, dress in a trashy and dirty manner, act like a gangster etc) you should be fine anywhere. I live in Baltimore, MD and formerly in New Orleans and have spent time throughout hte country and most people here are accepting of immigrants if they try to be American. If someone is illegal and refuses to assimilate that is a different story.

Also don't try to impose yourself on natives if that is an issue. For example some people get turned off when newcomers go into the schools and say that school prayer shouldn't be allowed, that under God shouldn't be in the pledge, etc or demand special Islamic prayer services be provided.

I actually see New England as one of the least diverse places in America along with the upper Midwest. In places like Arkansas and Kansas and especially Texas you can find black and/or Hispanic people and usually a few Asians even in very small towns while that is less true in New England which tends to be exclusively white. HOwever just because a town is mostly white doesn't necessarily mean its racist or unwelcoming maybe just no businesses to attract immigrants or transplants. As long as you present yourself well, don't act like an illegal and also don't act too elitist and you should be fine. Good luck in your move to America.
What the hell does "acting like a gangster" have to do with being illegal?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:48 AM

52 posts, read 156,619 times
I think New England is good for immigrants. There are some really nice towns in NY, CT, MA, NJ.. It depends on what you like to do, your style of living, etc. I think people are used to seeing immigrants, the different accents, and cultures. There will be always a narrow-minded person, or someone that does not welcome other cultures, but that happens everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or