U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 10:40 PM

631 posts, read 1,972,672 times

Advertisements

So, a few friends and I are planning on taking a roadtrip from New Orleans to New York at the end of May. We would like to stop by interesting places and spread the 23-hour drive over about 3 or 4 days.

What would you guys recommend as good places to stop?

Keep in mind that we are college-aged, so that does somewhat limit where we would want to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 11:43 PM

5,850 posts, read 15,967,654 times
What a fun idea!
What route did you have in mind?
Be sure to check out state and national parks along your route. They are usually cheap or free, and the scenery is beautiful!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 PM

21,421 posts, read 21,980,735 times
One spot I would recommend along your way is Lexington Kentucky. Miles and miles of beautiful low rolling hills and wooden fences. We once stopped at Claiborne Farms (Home of Secretariat among many champions) near Paris and the two of us got a guided tour from the foreman that lasted about 2 hours. It was shortly after Secretariat died and they still had his stall set up. The foreman introduced us to Ferdinand, Easy Goer, Forty Niner, Danzig, Damascus, Mr. Prospector, Najinsky II and many others. We had set up the tour a month or two in advance and they could not have been any nicer, never felt like we were putting them off or that they had something else to do. Didn't charge us a dime. May would be a perfect time to go with the young foals galloping about. That was back in the early 90's and couldn't say that they even open up the grounds to the general public but it would be worth checking out if for the drive alone. You could also see Keenland or Churchill Downs but remember, nobody bet on da bay!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:37 PM

7,152 posts, read 9,939,119 times
Smile Interstate 81 to Interstate 78 or 80 for the best scenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
So, a few friends and I are planning on taking a roadtrip from New Orleans to New York at the end of May. We would like to stop by interesting places and spread the 23-hour drive over about 3 or 4 days.

What would you guys recommend as good places to stop?

Keep in mind that we are college-aged, so that does somewhat limit where we would want to stop.
One thing I would suggest is avoid coming ti New York from I-95. It is the most crowded, expensive (more tolls) and has less interesting scenery. Instead approach NY from the west I-78 or even I-80 in Pennsylvania. To get there you could take I-81 or even the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. Stop at SHENANDOAH NATIONAL PARK in Virginia or further up I-81 - GETTYSBURG NATIONAL BATTLESFIELD in Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.