U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 07:45 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,618,531 times

Advertisements

Thought I would do this thread to see how future Photo Tours of particular places might be done.

Most of the regular peeps know about some of the prior Photo collections which can be organized to show a place similar like going on tour there.

Some examples are the recent Photo Exploration of Oil City, PA, Scranton's work in his area, Gizmo's start on some stuff in San Francisco.

I've been asked to do one of Lake Placid, FL by some folks over on the FL forum, they want it there as part of an ongoing thread. Sadly I never actually thought about it while in Florida. I go have photos of the area but nothing where it was well planned out. I didn't have the camera (not yet bought) for some of the better parts, didn't take it out on any trips on the water, etc. Basically the focus was on having fun, but something maybe can be patched together. Tours IMHO are best with factual info to explain it.

I should be back there this coming winter for some period. Others apparently have become interested in the general area. I can tell you a lot about it, I was not like your typical tourist most of the time. In prep for that trip I asked around, got like nothing, the few bits were mostly bum.

So maybe over time a more compete collection of photo type tours could be built up. Rather than just pix's IMHO it is best organized in something that approximates a tour of some type. The peeps who know a place best are those who live there.

So that brings up the subject of what is of most interest.
  • General overview
  • Tourist type places
  • Typical homes & neighborhoods
  • Businesses
  • Daily life
  • Etc, etc

This is a lot more work than might be believed but there are some ways to ease the burden. I have been working up some more. It can be a lot easier if you just build it into normal life, travel, situations. Over a period you can build up a huge portfolio of pix's about anything.

One subject that might be nice, is bridges, tons of them over the USA and elsewhere. I slowly will collect most of those in my area. Just started working on it.

I probably can do a very good walking tour of my hometown. Small towns you can cover soup to nuts.

I have a fair collection on Columbiana, OH and that general environs. Should have more in a couple weeks. Maybe get down into Jefferson County again this trip.

Could eventually do one of some of the more rural counties in Ohio.

Maybe Gizmo will become the resident SF expert and even get Broadway & Mission in all its glory.

NAH might want to do WPB so he will know what he waving goodbye too.

With the new digital cameras there can be quite a lot of expense getting well set up but that is offset by not having film expense afterward. Some digitals do take a fair amount of time to completely master. I am still learning mine but they can produce superior results under many lighting, speed, etc situations.

The Oil City thing I think is a bit instructive. It shows a lot more than what a typical poster would learn in question - answer format but also points out how far you really have to go to completely explain anywhere. Much of this should be viewed as long range type projects, somewhat like a hobby.

Most of the normal stuff peeps take, backyard, vaction, family stuff, etc is not all that good for a public tour. It general needs some planned structure. Plus too many family peeps make it into photos which may not be a good thing. The furkids are usually ok but other peeps may not like being dragged before the general public. I will not put any of my family peeps in any tour.

So I will leave it for peeps to say their part. Volunteer or do as are wont to be the critic. I guess critic are necessary and they usually get that seat on the end. Never did figure out if they have to buy a ticket.

Then where should photo tours be put. Some state forums might be the answer, some no, do the locals really need a photo tour??? How many peeps go to a particular state forum expecting something very complete.

Last edited by Cosmic; 03-26-2007 at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 08:13 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,068,525 times
Requesting photos from Boise downt through eastern Oregon to southern Oregon and Northern California as well as some detailed feedback.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:44 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Default Love it!

If I can find some time, I'd be happy to do one of SF! As an amateur photographer, of course this would be great fun for me. Too bad it was raining cats & dogs today, since I had the day off & spent some time in the Mission district... a very interesting and colorful/vibrant neighborhood. Maybe when the weather clears up, I'll try to get some pics done this week. Great idea!

Though I wish I had a better camera... right now I only have a cheap digital (Canon powershot) & a film SLR. Would love to use the SLR, since it takes better hard-copy pictures, but digitally it isn't the best. So until I can afford a new digital SLR, I'll just have to make do with the Canon.

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-26-2007 at 11:55 PM..

Old 03-27-2007, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If I can find some time, I'd be happy to do one of SF! As an amateur photographer, of course this would be great fun for me. Too bad it was raining cats & dogs today, since I had the day off & spent some time in the Mission district... a very interesting and colorful/vibrant neighborhood. Maybe when the weather clears up, I'll try to get some pics done this week. Great idea!

Though I wish I had a better camera... right now I only have a cheap digital (Canon powershot) & a film SLR. Would love to use the SLR, since it takes better hard-copy pictures, but digitally it isn't the best. So until I can afford a new digital SLR, I'll just have to make do with the Canon.
Thanks Gizmo

Yep, it can be great fun.

Maybe I can point you in a right direction. I also love photography. Had a lot of experience with film, including developing. But as I have found digital is a whole new bag.

A bunch of my relatives are into it big time. Some make a living at it.

I did not want to spend a ton money but wanted good capabilites. Primary worried about specs, battery life, snarl of operations. Wanted to take pix's of good quality, maybe in the hundreds at a time. Finally bought a Kodak Z612.

Not the best camera on the market. But I got a memory card (2G), camera, that could do what I wanted. Apparently I am battery limited but have never run out of battery yet, taking well up into the hundreds at a time. I can take the 2G chip out of the camera and plug it into my laptop. It looks just like another drive. Maybe I got a total investment of ~$200 in the camera outside of the laptop.

I like the Kodak because it is big enough to hold on to, sort of common sense how it operates and has a lot of power if you can master it. Good price if you can buy it right like I did. The more you know the better the results. Is capable of many modes and refinements.

SF is my favorite big city. So you are on the focus to produce super pix's. Actually I suggest a more controlled approach. take pix that mean something to you. If you need help I am available most winter months. Will do SF.

Some of my friends went to CA this winter instead of FL. Got to see how they liked it.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 6,115 times
Could do one of Minneapolis. Maybe from the north side to downtown, uptown and ending sort of by the lakes area where there are some big old houses. Still need to figure this camera and posting pics. Did like the oil city tour. If anyone wants to see an area I could maybe get that in also. Will be on the bus line so don't have full access to every area.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:45 AM

1,025 posts, read 3,765,074 times
Short on time this next couple of weeks, but I have enjoyed the photo tours posted here and am willing to contribute some from Georgia in the future.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:54 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,909,157 times
If I can figure it all out all the how-tos about camera, uploading, while I'm visiting Pittsburgh, I might be able to contribute something. I was just looking at the CD info page about the city to see what they have and it is good but not a very complete picture--

Old 03-31-2007, 01:16 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,341,275 times
I'd be happy to do one of Knoxville. Lots of people are interested in moving here. The only problem that I have is my pictures end up as links. I can't seem to post them directly to the forum! Anyone know how?

I was told to go to photobucket, but couldn't do that either.

I think Cosmic posted them directly from his camera!

Old 03-31-2007, 01:21 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,909,157 times
Check in the About this Forum. Yac posted a really easy way to do it w/o a source like photobucket.

I see that response is buried, so I dug it up:

Uploading a photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'd be happy to do one of Knoxville. Lots of people are interested in moving here. The only problem that I have is my pictures end up as links. I can't seem to post them directly to the forum! Anyone know how?

Old 03-31-2007, 01:50 PM

Default The easy way to post pix's in your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

1. Get all the photos you want to use in one folder, where you can find it on some drive, say drive D or whatever.

2. Open Photobucket and make a folder for it there by some name

3. Upload the photos into Photobucket folder. Leave this window open

4. Click Start>Programs>Accessories>Notepad to open a copy of Notepad that gives a easy work area.

5. You should now have two windows open, Photobucket & Notepad, you can swap between to put your photos in one easy to move chunk. Plus do your notes while you can easily see the pix's.

6. Left click on a Photobucket Pix where it says IMG box at the bottom left, it will turn blue. Forget about what the data / info is, go to step 7.

7. Press and hold Ctrl then letter C to put that image on the clipboard.

8. Pop up Notepad by clicking on it in the tray.

9. Paste the clipboard image data in Notepad, Hold Ctrl then press Letter V.

10. Link will directly put the pix in your C-D post. Use this time to put your basic notes about the link by writing notes in Notepad under the link

11. Continue this method to put as many photos as desired. You can put as many as you like and transport them all over to one CD post. Once finished, put all the data on the clipboard. Hold Ctrl - Press Letter A; Hold Ctrl - Press Letter C while in the Notepad

12. Close Photobucket, Open City Data, leave Notepad open

13. Open a post in City Data. Paste in the clipboard information, preview, tweak and correct as necessary. Leaving Notepad open provides a back up to get any data that must be repeated, checked, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or