U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:19 PM

20,868 posts, read 36,011,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
It has the worst urban sprawl because that is what most people seem to prefer when they come here. People do not buy into the whole suburban lifestyle at gunpoint. And you seem pretty informed - you know we have no geographical issues here to hem in growth.

Boston has it's own sprawl issues, Atlanta does not own sprawl.

MARTA is concentrating on the Beltline and inner-city growth. They are hamstrung by the State as far as expansion outside of Fulton & DeKalb.
I agree that Boston has sprawl issues primarilly because most areas are "built out" in the inner ring suburbs on larger than average lots.

If MARTA can not expand outside of Fulton and DeKalb metro ATL is going to have economic viability issues in the outer ring suburbs down the road IMO. Sprawl can only go so far until it hits the north GA mountains and national forest areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 02:31 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,167,594 times
The sprawl is already bumping up against the foothills - you're too late.

There is much talk of commuter rail here for the outlying areas. We have a very dysfunctional State government here - extremely urban vs. rural. Guess who is winning?

Old 03-28-2009, 05:19 PM

686 posts, read 1,517,291 times
Don't worry about sprawl in a few years gas prices will sky rocket again, count on it.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:32 PM

20,868 posts, read 36,011,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
The sprawl is already bumping up against the foothills - you're too late.

There is much talk of commuter rail here for the outlying areas. We have a very dysfunctional State government here - extremely urban vs. rural. Guess who is winning?
I figured as much with regard to the state government. Some have speculated that a new megalopolis will form in the next decade or two that will merge Charlotte with Atlanta with a few undeveloped areas in between. If that becomes reality that would be a travesty in landuse.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:40 PM

30,242 posts, read 67,413,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
Don't worry about sprawl in a few years gas prices will sky rocket again, count on it.
We can only hope! Maybe then all the New Yorkers plowing down the trees all around Scranton for ostentatious McMansions may actually consider moving INTO our fair city?!

Old 03-28-2009, 10:30 PM

686 posts, read 1,517,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
We can only hope! Maybe then all the New Yorkers plowing down the trees all around Scranton for ostentatious McMansions may actually consider moving INTO our fair city?!

I feel for ya man, we should take some notes on how our neighbors to the north do things.

but I also think when obama"s spending plan fails this country will go into a depression further slowing sprawl, we should be thankful this isn't atlanta and there will always be desolate,rural and unihabted parts of pa,ny,vt,nh and me.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:47 PM

11,186 posts, read 22,407,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Maybe because farming season has started? lol I don't know.

Most of "the rural" states are only rural because people think they are.

I grew up in Iowa...and a full........five percent of the population actually lives on a farm. The latest stats said that almost 2/3 of the state now live in a metropolitan area.

I think the biggest factor is these states don't boom and bust. They're very stable areas with steady growth.

Regardless.....farming is actually the one occupation that isn't even included in employment/unemployment stats. Every farmer could go under and the rates wouldn't change a bit except for all the suppliers/buyers.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 AM

2,057 posts, read 4,875,941 times
thanks for everything obama. your doing a great job

*roll eyes and sigh*

Old 03-29-2009, 09:44 AM

11,186 posts, read 22,407,581 times
^ is that sarcasm? He's been in power for like.....2 months. Maybe we should talk about that dude who was in charge for the 96 months before that...

Old 03-29-2009, 10:54 AM

2,057 posts, read 4,875,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ is that sarcasm? He's been in power for like.....2 months. Maybe we should talk about that dude who was in charge for the 96 months before that...
go ahead and talk about bush. he was not great, but he was not horrible either.

what obama has done in three months is worse than what bush did in 8 yrs

i thank obama everyday..... he is the reason why i dont have a job

obama will go down in history as the worst president in the u.s. EVER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or