Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:33 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times

Advertisements

The Omaha metro has a very diverse economy and is generally fairly resilient in economic recessions. I have been there a couple of times, but I don't think it was a good fit for me overall. Some people like the area, though. I have not been to Lincoln, the state capitol, but have heard mixed opinions on that city. Everywhere outside of those two metros is either micropolitan or rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 12:52 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Ha ha, I feel bad as I was thinking the same thing as Rachael. That was a great reply! lol Nebraska is a hard state to imagine life in if you haven't been there I guess. Have you lived there? What's it like? I wouldn't mind peeking into it!
I grew up in Omaha - a long time ago. I wouldn't have wanted to grow up anywhere else - I loved it. I haven't been back in a while, but hope to get back this year some time. I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you ever decide to visit. I think Omaha is a very underrated city.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
According to my data 80% of all Nebraskans live in either a metropolitan or micropolitan county.
That may well be true. Half of them are in the Lincoln and Omaha areas. The other 30% probably live in such places as Ogallala, North Platte, Grand Island, etc. Even the remaining 20% are not all farmers or even living on farms.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:17 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Farming is done in every state, New York included. I doubt unemployment rates have much to do with farming this time of year in Nebraska. Not everyone in Nebraska is a farmer - in fact, the world's second richest man lives in Omaha. I'm only throwing that out there because your post was stereotypical of someone who doesn't know much about Nebraska, but just assumes that everyone is a farmer, and that there are cornfields everywhere.
Rachael has an extremely limited, provincial view of things outside her NYC/South Florida "bubble."

She simply doesn't know about places outside of her little world. It's pretty common to be this way in her part of the country.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Rachael has an extremely limited, provincial view of things outside her NYC/South Florida "bubble."

She simply doesn't know about places outside of her little world. It's pretty common to be this way in her part of the country.
The provincial attitude in New England acts as an economic stimulus because we value land preservation in a lot of instances instead of housing developments. People from all over the country come here to enjoy the outdoors, and they also inject money into smaller communities and small buisnesess. Tourism and recreational activities are a big economic driver in states like NH. The motto in the south generally seems to be "the more economic development the better regardless of what it is."
Case in point- metro ATL!!!

Last edited by GraniteStater; 03-28-2009 at 01:43 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 01:37 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,780 times
Maybe because it's in the middle of the country.. it seems the economic problems are on the coasts or in the north mid-west.

I'm just making shots backwards

Old 03-28-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
The provincial attitude in New England acts as an economic stimulus because we value land preservation in a lot of instances instead of housing developments. People from all over the country come here to enjoy the outdoors, and they also inject money into smaller communities and small business. Tourism and recreational activities are a big economic driver in states like NH. The motto in the south generally seems to be "the more economic development the better regardless of what it is."
I happen to be one of the people that enjoys New England - for the most part. I am a huge fan of coastal NH and York County, Maine.

Rachael is a provincial New Yorker, not a provincial New Englander. Big difference.

Also, you need to remember that "the south" is a huge area, and it is by no means monolithic.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
The provincial attitude in New England acts as an economic stimulus because we value land preservation in a lot of instances instead of housing developments. People from all over the country come here to enjoy the outdoors, and they also inject money into smaller communities and small buisnesess. Tourism and recreational activities are a big economic driver in states like NH. The motto in the south generally seems to be "the more economic development the better regardless of what it is."
Case in point- metro ATL!!!
Was it necessary for you to take a pot shot at Atlanta? I see you edited your post to include that. Why?

Old 03-28-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Was it necessary for you to take a pot shot at Atlanta? I see you edited your post to include that. Why?
I could include other cities in the south that are economically overdeveloped in terms of total land footprint that is consumed. How about: Charlotte, Nashville, Knoxville, Houston, Orlando, etc.

Atlanta has the worst suburban sprawl problem of any major metro in the country even though the urban core areas are increasing somewhat in density. Will MARTA be expanded to other suburban parts of the metro?

Old 03-28-2009, 02:10 PM

It has the worst urban sprawl because that is what most people seem to prefer when they come here. People do not buy into the whole suburban lifestyle at gunpoint. And you seem pretty informed - you know we have no geographical issues here to hem in growth.

Boston has it's own sprawl issues, Atlanta does not own sprawl.

MARTA is concentrating on the Beltline and inner-city growth. They are hamstrung by the State as far as expansion outside of Fulton & DeKalb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.