Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:01 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,218 times

Advertisements

I'd say that a majority of native southerners (those whose family line in the United States dates back to some area of the south from the time their family emigrated) have ancestors that dated back to the Civil War or prior.

The North, by and large, has a larger percentage of their populations that came in during the later waves of immigration. Most white southerners are descended from the British Isles (1. England, 2. Scotland, 3. Ireland) A number are also Dutch, and to a lesser extent French. Contrast this with the north where, although a significant percentage are English and Irish, they also have many Italians, Germans, and Scandinavians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 02:07 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I live in the North and I only know the history of two of my ancestors. One came here in the 1840's from Ireland and one came in the early 1790's from France. If you could afford passage to America from France at that time then chances are words like "let them eat cake" might have come out of your mouth.

I put very little stock in where I come from. The fact is I am descended from thousands of people and I am quite sure that there are several ancestors of mine whom I would be better off never knowing who they are or what they did.
I hadn't really thought or cared about it until my uncle finished tracing our family's ancestry back to 11th century Normandy - to one of William the Conqueror's advisors who fought at the Battle of Hastings, and afterward was awarded the title "1st Earl of Surrey" in England. It was fascinating to read about some of my ancestors in England and France during that time.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:15 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
I'd say that a majority of native southerners (those whose family line in the United States dates back to some area of the south from the time their family emigrated) have ancestors that dated back to the Civil War or prior.

The North, by and large, has a larger percentage of their populations that came in during the later waves of immigration. Most white southerners are descended from the British Isles (1. England, 2. Scotland, 3. Ireland) A number are also Dutch, and to a lesser extent French. Contrast this with the north where, although a significant percentage are English and Irish, they also have many Italians, Germans, and Scandinavians.
By and large true; however, there were a number of German communities scattered throughout the South as well, especially in TN, KY and NC.
Most southern cities of any size prior to the Civil War had prominent Jewish communities...New Orleans, Mobile, Savannah, Charleston, Richmond, Atlanta, Nashville and Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.