U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:15 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,869,909 times

Advertisements

Oh, is this the thread where we brag about how we are so provincial we've never even left the city we were born in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,022,288 times
I was born in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn, spent most of my life in Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:10 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,412,919 times
In Australia the actual city centres are so small the suburbs = the city. I'm a suburbanite, but not out of choice. If I could I would live in a big city or in the country.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,321,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I was born in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn, spent most of my life in Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan.
Are you currently in Lexington, MA?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:44 AM

8,341 posts, read 14,106,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Are you currently in Lexington, MA?
I am guessing his location may be in reference to the famous home run hit during the NY Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers game in 1951.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:33 AM

8,011 posts, read 16,071,770 times
I was Born in Washington D.C.... I've since lived in Providence RI, Assonet MA ( a small suburban town), Farmington Maine (the definition of the "sticks") and Portland Maine (much more of a town than a city). I've had the pleasure of living in major urban areas, suburban areas, and tiny, rural communities. I can't wait to be back in a major city (Boston in 6 months)... I detest living in suburbia and can't stand the seclusion and isolation of smaller towns. That doesn't mean the people in there are bad, or that the towns themselves are bad (I like visiting small towns), but I sure as hell don't like living in them.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:35 PM

7,825 posts, read 12,335,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGiftedMixed View Post
I hate to sound snotty, but hey its the internet.
How many of you adults here ,who consider yourselves hip because you live in a city, where actually born and raised in a city? Because in my opinion, any SUV driving suburbanite could move to the city and consider themselves an "urbanite."

Thoughts?
I think its about the lifestyle that you lead really. On the opposite end, I know MANY MANY rural "rednecks" who own dozens of guns, drive pickup trucks, go hunting and fishing all the time and wear cammo clothing in public who were originally born and raised in the city or suburbs. Just like there are some Starbucks drinking, Prius driving Whole Foods shopping yuppies who grew up in a small town or a farm. It is about the lifestyle you currently chose to lead that defines who you are.

There is the other side though like I lived in a major city for 3 years but never gave up to my exurban lifestyle. just like there are some who move to the suburbs or rural areas from the city and never quite adjust or fit in.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:44 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,542,871 times
I live in a place that doesn't fit either the urban or suburban description entirely--Berkeley, California. It's urban enough to have a rapid transit station (BART) that I walk to pretty much every morning. There are also a number of bus lines within reasonable walking distance, a couple of which I use regularly. There was a supermarket three blocks away until an out of town leveraged buyout company bought it and closed it down. There are still a bunch of stores, cafes, and bars I can walk to. The average density is about 10,000 people per square mile, pretty high by American standards. But much of the housing in my neighborhood is (generally small) single family detached houses, and any new development proposal is greeted as if armageddon is beginning.

I don't think people's issues with "urbanites" are about birthplaces, most of us move around. I think it's about attitudes towards the city. Some people seem to see the city as primarily a playland for their consumption, their latest toys, their trendiness. Not a positive model of urbanism. And then there are the rest of us--living our lives, trying to be good citizens (at least if it's not too much work), maybe relating to our neighbors (or maybe not). That kind of urbanite can come from anywhere.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:43 PM

432 posts, read 483,207 times
Rofl I lived in the city my whole life. Born in Brooklyn, lived in Philly, back in Brooklyn. The suburban upper middle class kids aren't really "natural" urbanites but if they are in the city a lot and enjoy it, than that can make an argument. Most suburban kids have no street smarts. To tell the truth, if you don't have street smarts and you live in the city than you haven't lived in the city all your life. Having street smarts is like seeing the tip of an iceberg. Yes it can save your life but its so much more than that. Typical urbanites with streets smarts usually know how to present themselves, hustle well in bad situations without mommy and daddy, where to eat, the best way to save money, what places to avoid, who to avoid, how to find there way around, relax in simple situations, have common sense, and much more. If I took one of these 19y/o so called hipster urbanites from CD and dropped them in the middle North Philly, they'd probably couldn't even understand how a bus work, would most likely look at someone wrong, and probably crap themselves. So no, I don't consider them natural urbanites but moreso as transplants just learning urban environments.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,393,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Oh, is this the thread where we brag about how we are so provincial we've never even left the city we were born in?
I don't consider it provincial, I consider it fortunate. And I have left it plenty, though I've never felt the desire to live elsewhere. I'm sorry if you feel someone needs to, in order to not be called unflattering names.

But I was actually born while my father was in the military and stationed elsewhere. Their legal residence was still here (and my father born here), and we returned before I turned one. So I do consider that I am native to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or