U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 12:22 PM

5,721 posts, read 9,087,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
This is true. But different areas of the same regions have certain characteristics that exclude them even further.
That was my point. Northern New England is quite different than southern New England for example. And the same can be said when comparing northern Minnesota with southern Indiana.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 12:31 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I think the Great Plains states would be better off as being a subdivision of the west. First of all it would be help tourism to the Black Hills and Badlands of the Dakotas if people associated them with the West. Second the smaller populations of the Plains states might mean they have more in common with the more sparsely populated Western states. Also St Louis is supposed to be the "Gateway to the West" and might help that underated city attract notice again..
Well, "the west" does have a positive connotation for many people. However, the rural nature of the Plains states gives them more in common with the midwest than the mountain states they abut. Most people here in Colorado live in the Denver area and work in office jobs, not agriculture. Ditto, Utah with Salt Lake City, Arizona/Phoenix, New Mexico/Albuquerque, Nevada/Las Vegas. Even the northern Rockies (Wyo, Montana, Idaho) are more ranching than farming.

Many cities are considered the "Gateway to the West", to wit: Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Omaha, Denver.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:58 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,048,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, "the west" does have a positive connotation for many people. However, the rural nature of the Plains states gives them more in common with the midwest than the mountain states they abut. Most people here in Colorado live in the Denver area and work in office jobs, not agriculture. Ditto, Utah with Salt Lake City, Arizona/Phoenix, New Mexico/Albuquerque, Nevada/Las Vegas. Even the northern Rockies (Wyo, Montana, Idaho) are more ranching than farming.

Many cities are considered the "Gateway to the West", to wit: Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Omaha, Denver.
I can understand the other 3...but Pittsburgh?

Old 03-29-2009, 01:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Thumbs up The West is a postive word. Wilderness, open range and freedom.

Quote:

That the "West" is considered a POSTIVE word is exactly what I am getting at. And that might help the Dakotas and even Nebrasaka and Kansas, with tourism for instance not only here in the US but from overseas as well. The West has alot of postives and maybe some younger people on the Plains might stop and think of what they have instead of rushing off to find their Emerald City.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:24 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Also I think you are ignoring the similarities of a large part of the Mountain states and the Great Plain states. Much of the terrain near the borders is very similar. The plains continue into eastern Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. It does tend to be drier as you move from east to west so you switch from farming to ranching. Devils Tower in Wyoming stands out not because it is the middle of the Rockies but because it is on the Plains.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I can understand the other 3...but Pittsburgh?
The start of the Ohio River, the gateway to the west back in 1787 or so!

Old 03-29-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
That the "West" is considered a POSTIVE word is exactly what I am getting at. And that might help the Dakotas and even Nebrasaka and Kansas, with tourism for instance not only here in the US but from overseas as well. The West has alot of postives and maybe some younger people on the Plains might stop and think of what they have instead of rushing off to find their Emerald City.
The people living on the plains have most all been to the mountain states at one time or another in their lives, usually many times, as the mtn states are a popular vacation spot for those living nearby. In fact, there are many people who have moved here (Colorado) from the plains states. As far as overseas tourists visiting Kansas and Nebraska, I'm not sure what you think are major tourist attractions there. I'm not knocking these states mind you, my DH is from Nebraska. Omaha is a nice city, but if your time is limited, that's probably one you would cross off your list. Ditto Kansas.

Quote:
Also I think you are ignoring the similarities of a large part of the Mountain states and the Great Plain states. Much of the terrain near the borders is very similar. The plains continue into eastern Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. It does tend to be drier as you move from east to west so you switch from farming to ranching. Devils Tower in Wyoming stands out not because it is the middle of the Rockies but because it is on the Plains.
Well, you know, I live in the mountain west, so I know most of the above. I can tell you, the mountain states don't want to be allied with the plains states. There are lots of people out here who make fun of Kansas and Nebraska, not that I agree with them, but it is what it is.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:51 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,268,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I disagree. I think there are general cultural, structural and architectural similarities between regions. The Northeast, the Great Lakes Midwest, the Great Plains, the South, the West Coast and the Interior West all share general characteristics within themselves that exclude them somewhat from the rest of the country.
There are general cultural similarities within regions, but there are also huge cultural differences within the same regions. Honestly, there are general similarities throughout the U.S....there isn't a full region that is so different from the rest of American culture that it stands out as exclusive from the other regions - they are all more alike than different.

There are smaller areas where the culture is vastly different...but those areas are also vastly different from the rest of that region as well.

This is why the regions aren't grouped together by culture. It isn't possible to do it that way unless you divide the country into very small regions.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:54 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,268,700 times
Quote:
On your map you can see how the South is divided into 3 subregions but the others regions are just two. I would actually divide the Midwest and move the "West North Central" (Great Plains) into the West and the "East North Central" (Great Lake states) into the Northeast. The Northeast would then be called simply the North. In this way, the West, North and South would all have 3 subregions.
I think that the Midwest is important enough to be its own separate region. It has its own identity as a region and the residents there would probably prefer not to be divided between two other regions.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:26 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,595,739 times
Quote:

Well, you know, I live in the mountain west, so I know most of the above. I can tell you, the mountain states don't want to be allied with the plains states. There are lots of people out here who make fun of Kansas and Nebraska, not that I agree with them, but it is what it is.
would you first be allied with the West Coast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or