Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 02:58 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
"How can North Dakota and Ohio be in the same region (Midwest)? "

I agree. Let's ship it off to Canada's Bread Basket. It's closer to Canada than Ohio.
Canada borders Ohio on Lake Erie, just like N. Dakota borders Canada. You are no further away from Canada than N. Dakota. I always thought it was funny how geographically-handicapped some Ohioans were when I lived there. People would try to crack jokes about Minneapolis being close to Canada or whatnot, when Columbus and Cleveland are technically closer. There ARE states West of Ohio, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 03:07 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
I guess both are flat and farmy....
Why did you start this thread if you refused to read any of the responses?

Old 10-17-2010, 04:32 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Why did you start this thread if you refused to read any of the responses?
I did.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:44 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Ohio does not have any mountains. The eastern half (roughly), from mid to southern Ohio, does have some hills, getting hillier the farther east and south you go.
Culturally, geographically, and demographically southeast and eastern Ohio are very similar to WV.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:46 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
I guess both are flat and farmy....
Look at google maps. 1/2 of Ohio is certainly not flat nor farmy. 1/2 to 2/5 of Ohio is hilly and forested just like parts of WV or PA.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:51 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
I know a lot of people - a lot. While with them, there has never been a discussion of what regions states belong in, how North Dakota is different than Ohio, etc. It is what it is. Only on this forum do I see this discussed - as if the responses make any difference at all. What difference does it make, honestly? North Dakota is where it is, and Ohio is where it is - no one gets them confused. Does it make someone feel better if North Dakota isn't considered a part of the Midwest? News flash - this forum is not going to change the regions of the U.S. If someone's nose is out of joint because they're considered to be a part of the Midwest, I guess that person is lucky that they have nothing more important than that in life to worry about.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Culturally, geographically, and demographically southeast and eastern Ohio are very similar to WV.
There are no mountains in Ohio, nevertheless. While W VA is hilly throughout, like PA, the real mountain country is in the eastern part of the state.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:42 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:
I remember back in sixth grade we learned about the four regions of the United States.

The West was the states from the Rockies to the Pacific, the South included to my confusion Maryland and Delaware (which I can understand now knowing they have Southern culture), the Northeast Pennsylvania to New England - and the Midwest an odd grouping of states from the Great Plains all the way out to Ohio?

I can understand the similarities between the Great Lakes and Great Plains, they're flat, agricultural, and very developed (with the exception of much of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri and Michigan).

Still, it's hard to put Youngstown, Ohio in the same region as Bismarck, ND. What do you think?
How can Hawaii, Alaska and Nevada be in the same region? They are, though.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:46 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
A cornfield in Ohio:

A cornfield in North Dakota:

Looks like the same region to me!

Old 10-18-2010, 09:37 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Exactly. Most of the Midwest (INCLUDING THE PLAINS) looks just like the two above pictures. You'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between much of Ohio and Indiana and the plains of Minnesota and the Dakotas -- both are heavily Midwestern and agricultural.

There are sharper differences between Ohio and Pennsylvania and North Dakota and Montana than between Ohio and North Dakota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.