Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best?
Baltimore 37 30.58%
Cleveland 27 22.31%
Charlotte 57 47.11%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:01 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Well, since Charlotte is so progressive and Baltimore & Cleveland are such backwaters I have a few questions:

Why does Charlotte have the lowest Gross Domestic Product of the three?

http://usmayors.org/metroeconomies/0107/GMPreport.pdf

Why does the Charlotte metro have the highest crime rate of the three?

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/MetroCrime2008_Rank.pdf

Why does Charlotte have the highest unemployment of the three?

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Why did it take so long for Charlotte to build a rail system when Baltimore has had one since the 1980's and Cleveland since the 1920's?

Baltimore Light Rail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RTA Rapid Transit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Great post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 04:19 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Great post
Why? While true in a very distant regard of spinning the statistics, they don't paint an accurate picture of the city. It would be better if he posted positives about his own city, then trying to slam another IMO.

My response to the OP. Every city is different and every person's situation for moving is also different. If you don't mind giving more info what you are looking for, people could be more specific other then just slapping random statistics around for you. More honest for you and them

Old 03-30-2009, 04:54 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Because some people are putting Cleveland and Baltimore in bad light and try to make Charlotte look perfect. Its a great post because it shows that non are superior to the other

Old 03-30-2009, 04:55 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
Why? While true in a very distant regard of spinning the statistics, they don't paint an accurate picture of the city. It would be better if he posted positives about his own city, then trying to slam another IMO.

My response to the OP. Every city is different and every person's situation for moving is also different. If you don't mind giving more info what you are looking for, people could be more specific other then just slapping random statistics around for you. More honest for you and them
Well, my post was in response to post #15 on this thread, where very negative articles were presented to represent Baltimore and Cleveland in an unfair manner. I basically posted these statistics to prove that you can spin things however you want. The poster I was responding to actually came back with a fair response, which is much more effective than the bashing.

If you look at my first post on this thread I simply stated my opinion and nothing more. When it comes down to it my preferences are based on intangibles, not any stats that can be throw out. I'm sure just about anyone else will say the same.

If you do chose to look at the data I think you will find that Charlotte has indeed made impressive strides, and that Baltimore and Cleveland are not the dying rust buckets like some people portray them as. Only time will tell how these cities move into the future.

Last edited by 5Lakes; 03-30-2009 at 05:03 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 05:48 PM

6 posts, read 26,501 times
Thanks to all for the opinions! To be a little more specific. We are a family with two children the oldest is just about to enter her first year of pre-school. We came to maryland out of school and have just stayed ever since b/c we feel baltimore has so much to offer in terms of culture, diversity and employment opportunities both for us and the future for our kids.

The only thing that we feel would draw us to Charlotte is family and good weather, although we aren't crazy about august heat there. The thing that draws us to cleveland is that it is our home town and we both still have family there. We are not excited about the extra gray days and colder winters in cleveland. If we had family in baltimore or were originally from here we would not even be considering moving.

As far as employment goes, we are in health care and feel rather seccure no matter where we go.

hope this helps to know a little more about where we are coming from and where we are at in our decision process.

thanks to all for your opinions, which is what I am looking for!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:10 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmore View Post
Thanks to all for the opinions! To be a little more specific. We are a family with two children the oldest is just about to enter her first year of pre-school. We came to maryland out of school and have just stayed ever since b/c we feel baltimore has so much to offer in terms of culture, diversity and employment opportunities both for us and the future for our kids.

The only thing that we feel would draw us to Charlotte is family and good weather, although we aren't crazy about august heat there. The thing that draws us to cleveland is that it is our home town and we both still have family there. We are not excited about the extra gray days and colder winters in cleveland. If we had family in baltimore or were originally from here we would not even be considering moving.

As far as employment goes, we are in health care and feel rather seccure no matter where we go.

hope this helps to know a little more about where we are coming from and where we are at in our decision process.

Couple of things..

1) If I recall, this thread was started in the City vs. City section, so my apologies if some of my comments came off as "smack"

2) I'm confused. You say getting a job is not really an issue, and you also seem to have absolutely no tie to Charlotte. So why then are "you" considering Charlotte? And not Raleigh, or Atlanta or Dallas, etc. There must be some reason you have it as an option?

Old 03-30-2009, 06:47 PM

6 posts, read 26,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Couple of things..

1) If I recall, this thread was started in the City vs. City section, so my apologies if some of my comments came off as "smack"

2) I'm confused. You say getting a job is not really an issue, and you also seem to have absolutely no tie to Charlotte. So why then are "you" considering Charlotte? And not Raleigh, or Atlanta or Dallas, etc. There must be some reason you have it as an option?
I do have family ties to charlotte. My parents live there currently as well as a sibling.

No problem on the "smack" I wanted to get different perspectives and I really appreciate the pictures you sent as well.

I put it in city vs city for that reason. i want to hear what everyone has to say and which city comes out the winner. Of course, i know everything comes down to my personal preference but hearing what others have to say about their respective cities is of great interest to me.

cheers!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:20 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmore View Post

It sounds like you should figure out what type of city you want to live in, what you want in a neighborhood, and what city will best suite your interests.

Baltimore and Cleveland will be better for cultural amenities and established neighborhoods, as they have longer histories as large cities. Charlotte will be newer, more suburban, and will give you more months to enjoy outdoor activities.

Cleveland has the lowest cost of living if that matters, although I think all are considered affordable.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:52 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,937 times
Cleveland also has some outstanding healthcare options, the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals. Last time i checked the Clinic had tons and tons and tons of job postings along with several satellite campuses.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:16 PM

421 posts, read 1,565,706 times
Cleveland is far cheaper than Baltimore, and the crime rate in the burbs to the West is nice and low. Crime in Cleveland city is about like Baltimore. As far as weather, I'm gonna be a maverick, and say that Cleveland has a nicer overall climate than Baltimore. A little colder in the winter and quite a bit snowier, but this is only 3 to 4 months of the total year, excluding those nice, midwestern winter thaws and warm spells throughout the winter which help to beat cabin fever. The rest of the year, Cleveland has weather that is tough to beat. Summer is gorgeous!! While Baltimore bakes in that 90+ degree heat and has all of those thunderstorms, Cleveland rarely hits 90. If it does, Baltimore is probably seeing triple digits. Doing anything outside in NE Ohio is far nicer in the summer than in MD, as it is usually a good 10 degrees cooler, and not as humid. Thus, if you don't mind driving in a little snow and dealing with a little cold in winter, I'd take NE Ohio where the rest of the year is so much more pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.