U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:13 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,155,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Depends which suburb of NYC. Some can be pretty urban. Many suburbs of NYC are probably more urban than Milwaukee (at least outside of their downtown area).
Being that you have never actually been to Milwaukee, why would you even make an assumption like that? Milwaukee is very urban and densely populated for a city its size.

Bergen County, New Jersey
Population: 904,037
Land area: 234 sq mi
Population density: 3,778/sq mi

Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
Population: 951,242
Land area: 242 sq mi
Population density: 3,929/sq mi

Quote:
Plenty of teachers I work with live in some of the most expensive areas of Manhattan. Teachers can afford to live in Manhattan.
That's funny, because my friend who makes around $50,000 a year doing stage lighting says he can't afford to live in Manhattan. $50,000 a year is more than most public school teachers can expect to make starting out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 04:38 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,979,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Being that you have never actually been to Milwaukee, why would you even make an assumption like that? Milwaukee is very urban and densely populated for a city its size.

That's funny, because my friend who makes around $50,000 a year doing stage lighting says he can't afford to live in Manhattan. $50,000 a year is more than most public school teachers can expect to make starting out.
Bergen County is very suburban, dispite its large population. A better example would be Hudson co, NJ. Which has a population of 608,975; in an area of 62 sq miles-47 of which is land. Its population density is 13,000/ sq mi, one of the highest in the nation. I think Rachel, is also talking about teachers who live in rent in Manhattan are living in subsidized housing. A lot of these people have lived there for years, and propably will stay there for a lot longer.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:07 PM

1,345 posts, read 3,771,367 times
Quote:

I think most city jobs really won't pay much more than that, at least starting. I almost took a job with FDNY EMS and would then promote to FDNY Firefighter. EMS makes letter than firefighters, but I know that a NYC fireman with 1 child can collect food stamps with his starting salary. That's how underpaid they are. Someone collecting food stamps definitely can't even afford to live in most of NYC, much less Manhattan.

I also agree that Milwaukee may not be a large city, but it's definitely very urban. That population density goes way up when you look at just the city as well.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:36 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,257,413 times
Quote:

Those starting out in the city get shares in Manhattan. Us teachers make up to 100,000 after working for about 18 or so years.

And where I'm moving to on Long Island, the population density is 7,700/sq mi.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:48 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,140,590 times
Born and raised into late teen years in an urban area always makes you more urban influenced than the 20 year old who moved into the city after growing up in the country because you grow up learning your own habits, the way you speak, and your attitude.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:55 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,140,590 times
Quote:

That's funny, because my friend who makes arou"nd $50,000 a year doing stage lighting says he can't afford to live in Manhattan. $50,000 a year is more than most public school teachers can expect to make starting out.
Your comparing Milwaukee to Bergen County? Bergen county is not even urban besides maybe a couple cities, besides maybe Hackensack and south, because anything north of Hackensack is sprawling suburbia. Bergen county has 70 cities/towns!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Your comparing Milwaukee to Bergen County? Bergen county is not even urban besides maybe a couple cities, besides maybe Hackensack and south, because anything north of Hackensack is sprawling suburbia. Bergen county has 70 cities/towns!

Yeah, Nassau county (where I'm moving to)'s population density is 4,600. The town I'm moving to is 7,600. That's considered a suburb, but yet it's more dense than the city of Milwaukee. So that just proves that it depends WHERE in the NYC suburbs they grew up. Different areas are a lot more dense than other areas.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:22 PM

1,345 posts, read 3,771,367 times
Quote:
Yeah, Nassau county (where I'm moving to)'s population density is 4,600. The town I'm moving to is 7,600. That's considered a suburb, but yet it's more dense than the city of Milwaukee. So that just proves that it depends WHERE in the NYC suburbs they grew up. Different areas are a lot more dense than other areas.
He never gave numbers for the city of Milwaukee. He gave it for the county. The SUBURBS. The city of Milwaukee is very dense(about 6300) compared to most of the country. The metro area ranks 8th in the country. http://www.planetizen.com/node/5351

Seriously, why do New Yorkers ALWAYS have to argue and put down other cities to make themselves feel better. We get it. NYC is a nice city, but it's not the only nice, or urban, place in the world. Have you ever visited Milwaukee? I doubt it. It's not some sprawling suburb like you think. I'm sure most people that have been to Milwaukee would consider it A LOT more urban that NYC suburbs, including Long Island. Just because more people live there(not many more at all) doesn't mean that it is more urban.

Last edited by ffknight918; 03-30-2009 at 06:30 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 06:31 PM

I'm just saying that the actual city of Milwaukee has a lower population density than the SUBURBS of NYC. It's actual fact, not statistic. So, most likely the person growing up in the NYC suburbs probably grew up in more of an urban area of them Milwaukee, unless the kid actually grew up in downtown Milwaukee. I'm not putting down that city. I'm just stating something that's factual. I'm sure it's a nice city.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:37 PM

2,650 posts, read 5,165,939 times
Quote:

It think you just defeated your own point with that statistic. Bergen Co is considered very suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or