U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:34 AM

16,960 posts, read 22,277,190 times

Advertisements

It's not accurate. It rates Alaska highest in personal freedom but goes on to say it's not the most free state primarily because of the high number of people who work for the government (state or federal). And while NH is certainly more free than, say, MA or NY or NJ or IL or CA, I wouldn't say it's the most free. It's still a heavily taxed state (high property taxes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 01:36 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,204,231 times
personally I would like the "freedom" to get a decent education even if I didn't grow up with money.

This is right-wing bull**** and should be moved to the politics "and other controversies" forum immediately.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:31 PM

2,370 posts, read 6,998,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Stormcrow, I'm going to guess that when they say there are no data missing, they aren't trying to claim that they've missed nothing, in the sense of claiming that they have thought of every criterion that should be used to determine a state's degree of freedom, but are simply saying that they obtained all the objective information that they have determined that they need to measure freedom by their criteria. As in, for example, they have all the information about every state on their number of arrests for victimless crimes, rather than having the info for some states and not for others. Just a guess.
Oh yeah, I'm sure that's precisely what they meant. But I still feel it's a tad bit presumptuous to think there aren't sources they've missed or potentially missing data from the sets they've analyzed. But anyways, not that big of a deal.

My final conclusion is that yes it seems a tad bit right leaning. Nothing wrong with that since so many left leaning "studies" are also published. Just so long as we remain smart enough to see them all for what they are - agenda driven neo-propoganda- we'll all be fine.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:54 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,036,309 times
The wording in this document is very biased, and they don't even try to hide their political affiliations. They make numerous value statements throughout the study (i.e. gun control = bad, taxes = bad, etc...). I am surprised this came from an educational institute, it reads more like something you would see from radical right-wing think tanks like the Mises Institute or the Cato institute.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
The wording in this document is very biased, and they don't even try to hide their political affiliations. They make numerous value statements throughout the study (i.e. gun control = bad, taxes = bad, etc...). I am surprised this came from an educational institute, it reads more like something you would see from radical right-wing think tanks like the Mises Institute or the Cato institute.
Because from a purely freedom-oriented perspective all those things are bad in that they limit freedom. So if you're going to measure how free someplace is, the lack of limits on freedom is what makes a place more free.

But the study is still flawed as I mentioned above.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 AM

2,449 posts, read 4,814,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Because from a purely freedom-oriented perspective all those things are bad in that they limit freedom. So if you're going to measure how free someplace is, the lack of limits on freedom is what makes a place more free.

But the study is still flawed as I mentioned above.
then anarchy is the free-est possible "system".
Yeah, look how free places with no effective government are, like Somalia and Afghanistan.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
then anarchy is the free-est possible "system".
Yeah, look how free places with no effective government are, like Somalia and Afghanistan.
No, because then the strongest trample on the rights of the weak. The most free system is where the government governs minimally but just enough to protect people's rights (in other words, the law could be summed up as "you can do anything you want that doesn't harm or infringe on the rights of others.").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.