U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:25 PM

11,893 posts, read 32,933,878 times

Advertisements

Check out Salt Lake City. It's a big city in a gorgeous setting. Warm summers, cold winters with lots of great snow skiing. It's got one of the best job markets in the country and fairly inexpensive housing (probably cheaper than Seattle). They love their cars in Utah (it's home to the Bonneville Salt Flats where world speed records have been made) but Salt Lake City also has a very, very good public transportation network: trains, tramways, and buses.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 08:29 PM

51 posts, read 123,058 times
Now that's what I'm talking about! Thanks!
Seems like it's got almost everything, some insider tips apart from the really big cities are welcome too. As long as it's not too small or too far away from the big ones it's ok!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:54 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,507,900 times
Since you like Seattle and want outdoor activities I think you should go with Portland, OR. It is somewhat like a smaller and cheaper version of Seattle. It has a good transit system (by American standards) and has been rated the best biking city in America, so you can get about town without driving all the time.

You mentioned not wanting to drive everywhere, but you should know that there are not many American cities were you can get by easily without a car. Driving is typically the American way. Cities with good transit are New York, Boston, DC, Philadelphia, Chicago, San Francisco, and Portland.

Last edited by 5Lakes; 03-30-2009 at 09:21 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 09:49 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,426,330 times
Consider Los Angeles - great outdoors activities (including mountains), car-friendly, fairly good public transportation (despite the stereotypes). You could live there for years and never run out of new neighborhoods to explore or new things to do.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:38 AM

51 posts, read 123,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
You mentioned not wanting to drive everywhere, but you should know that there are not many American cities were you can get by easily without a car. Driving is typically the American way.
I noticed that when I was there, but I just mean that I don't want to live in a place where the next store is 20 miles away. Depending on my car for every little errand. I'm used to doing everything by bicycle and train, I only take the car when there's no other option. I do consider driving a car as relaxing, it's more of a hobby to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Consider Los Angeles - great outdoors activities (including mountains), car-friendly, fairly good public transportation (despite the stereotypes). You could live there for years and never run out of new neighborhoods to explore or new things to do.
Well from what I've read here LA is a bit too car friendly. You know, people depending on their cars for everything. It's not my kind of deal, but maybe some smaller (greener) cities in California?

Old 03-31-2009, 05:53 AM

34,694 posts, read 33,709,656 times
Did it take you a long time to get permission to live and work in this country? The reason why I ask is that I know someone in Italy that has been waiting quite awhile to get permission to move to the US (California) where she knows people in the Los Angeles area and has helped with a local annual charity event...but then she has to go home. She speaks better English than I do.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:35 AM

502 posts, read 1,406,138 times
You should try Denver Colorado.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 AM

11 posts, read 36,557 times
Default Have you thought about San Diego?

As far as space goes - take it from me, you get a lot more for your $$ living there than you do living in NYC where I live. As far as nature goes - I say this beats every city BY FAR! Tons of biking and hiking trails, as well as many other things to do. Living in San Diego you can pretty much drive to enjoy any climate you want, mountains, beach, desert, forrest. Anything. Now San Diego is a bit expensive, but what you get for your money as far as weather, activities and quality of life go, it's well worth it. Plus the apartments you get in San Diego, are much nicer, bigger asnd cheaper than where I have lived in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and even NJ. The water is colder on the west coast from what I'm told, and the weather in San Diego is generally in the 60s to 80s year round (60s being the temps in the winter months). I don't know, I'm currently doing my research about where I want to settle down and San Diego is a strong possibility. I was born in NJ, and have lived in NYC for about eight years now. I hate, hate, hate the winter, and can't stand that there is only two months a year here where I get to enjoy the beach, so I'm doing my research. I'm also looking into southern Florida, but I HATE humidity (which is rampid down there). I'm just starting my research so I don't have much I can tell you about Florida, and I doubt it's has as much to offer as far as nature land sports go (hiking and such) but I'm sure the water sports there are terrific. I don't think it would have as much nature, I could be wrong, but from pretty much anywhere in San Diego you have a beautiful view of the mountains. Ugh, if only the weather were a tiny bit warmer year round in San Diego I would be set on moving there. Hope this was helpful, if you have any questions regarding San Diego or NYC, feel free to PM me. (I've been researching moving to San Diego fora few years now )

Old 03-31-2009, 10:57 AM

1,125 posts, read 4,105,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleJ View Post
I have read about it before.
I don't think that's going to fulfill the nature aspect. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm looking for mountains and vast wilderness areas.

Denver/Boulder

Old 03-31-2009, 11:40 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,078,689 times
Seattle,San Francisco,Portland,Denver and San Diego all sound right for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.