U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:06 PM

56,967 posts, read 81,305,553 times

Advertisements

Maybe cities in Upstate NY like Syracuse, Rochester, Albany, Ithaca, Watertown, Binghamton and maybe Utica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 01:28 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,212,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
Denver/Boulder
exaaaactly what I thought first when I read the original post.

and Portland, OR as well.

Boulder has enough going on, is close to Denver and the mountains. You will need a car for ski trips and other outings but all you need for day-to-day getting around is a ****ing longboard.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:01 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,460,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleJ View Post
Well from what I've read here LA is a bit too car friendly. You know, people depending on their cars for everything. It's not my kind of deal, but maybe some smaller (greener) cities in California?
That's one of the biggest stereotypes out there - I lived in LA for three years, never had a car, never had license, and didn't have problems. I got everywhere by foot, bus, and train.

There are some nice beach towns north of San Diego that might be of interest (I like Encinitas). Or San Diego itself.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:13 PM

22,324 posts, read 23,803,150 times
Los Angeles is actually doable if you live and work in the city, preferably along one of its public transit lines. To get everything you want on your list of goods in L.A. might be a bit pricey, but probably not as bad as in many other cities.

Pittsburgh might be an interesting choice as well as it can match up fairly well with what you want save for job opportunities (make sure you secure a job before making the move). Another possible drawback (or bonus, maybe) is that it's not particularly cosmopolitan, but it is located decently close to some very cosmopolitan cities.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:20 AM

51 posts, read 123,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Did it take you a long time to get permission to live and work in this country? The reason why I ask is that I know someone in Italy that has been waiting quite awhile to get permission to move to the US (California) where she knows people in the Los Angeles area and has helped with a local annual charity event...but then she has to go home. She speaks better English than I do.
I don't have one yet, this is just some early planning I'm doing.
Cause it might just as well become Australia or Canada. I'm just scanning for some cities that might be nice.

So, not going to quote all you guys, but thanks for all the tips!
Denver sounds really good, as does San Diego! I got a nice list now, and that's only the real big cities. Really appreciate it!

Old 04-01-2009, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
make sure you secure a job before making the move
Oh for sure! I think that is ultimately going to decide for me where I have to take a go at!

Old 04-01-2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsscdb View Post
San Diego. As far as space goes - take it from me, you get a lot more for your $$ living there than you do living in NYC where I live. As far as nature goes - I say this beats every city BY FAR!
Thanks! You just made me very curious, I'm going to look up some things there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Seattle,San Francisco,Portland,Denver and San Diego all sound right for you.
Nice list, I'm going to add Salt Lake City to that. For now I'm ignoring the smaller places, I can look for them later on somewhere around the cities on this list.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:03 PM

Is there any site where I can directly compare state laws and regulations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.