U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Help! Should I Move to Minneapolis or Denver?
Denver 22 41.51%
Minneapolis 31 58.49%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 03:04 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,813,797 times

Advertisements

I hate to say this because I moved from Mpls to Colorado because of the weather, but I think as a student you might actually have a better time in the Twin Cities. There just seems so much more going on there and the students I knew over the 10 years I lived up there really had a great time both educationally as well as socially. If you go to Uni in Mpls it's only for 3-4 years and then you can relocate with your degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,345,408 times
Thanks for all the help guys! From the looks of it, I'll probably be better off in Minneapolis for the time being and then I can always make Denver a goal after graduating. I've been racking my brains out the past few months over where to go! I got into the U of MN and CU Denver and CSU. The tuition for Colorado schools is WAY higher than it would be in Minnesota though.

I guess for now I'll have to put up with the snow and dream of mountains. Haha!

Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,153,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Thanks for all the help guys! From the looks of it, I'll probably be better off in Minneapolis for the time being and then I can always make Denver a goal after graduating. I've been racking my brains out the past few months over where to go! I got into the U of MN and CU Denver and CSU. The tuition for Colorado schools is WAY higher than it would be in Minnesota though.

I guess for now I'll have to put up with the snow and dream of mountains. Haha!
For the love of God, don't go to CU-Denver.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 AM

1,588 posts, read 3,565,068 times
What's wrong with CU - Denver? I've never heard anything negative about it.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:03 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,153,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
What's wrong with CU - Denver? I've never heard anything negative about it.
It's not a destination school like Colorado State University or the University of Minnesota. As I've stated earlier, the only people who should go their are people with limited options. Some people want more out of college than just a piece of paper that helps to get them a job, they also want a life changing experience. The lack of camaraderie and the overall lack of social interaction among the students is like nothing I've ever experienced before. How do you work with a lab partner when you live in Thornton and they live in Castle Rock? How do you plan field trips when everybody is working full-time or taking care of their kids? The answer is you don't do any of those things. On two separate occasions, I've actually had fellow students bring their children with them to class because they couldn't find babysitters. Auraria Campus is the lamest excuse for a college campus I have ever seen in my life. It should be avoided by anybody who wants to actually learn something in the classes they are paying money for.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:26 PM

30,235 posts, read 67,385,459 times
Quote:
If there was a way I could put Minneapolis' opportunities into Denver's setting I'd move in a heartbeat!
Ditto for me! Minneapolis consistently ranks very highly in quality-of-life surveys, but the weather can often times be dreary and bitterly cold. Denver just seems too "new" for my tastes, but it has a nice climate and setting.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:18 PM

343 posts, read 1,263,186 times
In terms of student life U of Minnesota has a great campus with lots of studnents. But in terms of variety I still think Denver wins out. Especially if you like to get outside and hike and ski. Minneapolis is just to flat for my tastes.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
In terms of student life U of Minnesota has a great campus with lots of studnents. But in terms of variety I still think Denver wins out. Especially if you like to get outside and hike and ski. Minneapolis is just to flat for my tastes.
That's one thing I don't like about Minneapolis. The cold and the flat. I like mountains and sunny days. It definitely my goal to live in Denver someday. For now I'll tough it out in The Cities. Thank you all so much! Your input has been awesome!!!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:36 PM

21,351 posts, read 21,922,845 times
Quote:
That's one thing I don't like about Minneapolis. The cold and the flat. I like mountains and sunny days. It definitely my goal to live in Denver someday. For now I'll tough it out in The Cities. Thank you all so much! Your input has been awesome!!!
While it can't compare to the Black Hills, you'll find that a short drive of 15 to 50 miles will bring you:
SouthEast along the Mississippi River to Hastings - Red Wing - Winona
SouthWest along the Minnesota River to Shakopee - Chaska - Jordan - Le Sueur (Ho, Ho, Ho)
E/NE along the St Croix River to Stillwater - Marine on St Croix - Taylors Falls

these may whet your appetite on occasion

http://www.osceolawis.com/photoclub/photos/IMG_8868.jpg

Tayors Falls (50 miles/1 hour from the U of M campus)

the Park area across the river on the Wisconny side reminds me a little bit of Sylvan Lake

Old 04-02-2009, 09:32 PM

Hey a guy that's knows the Black Hills!!! Sure, Minnesota can't really compare to the beauty of the Black Hills and Rocky Mountains but I've seen some beautiful spots here and there when I've visited.

Once, we took 169 from Minneapolis to Mankato and the drive was very beautiful. It was hilly and forested and the best part was that it was late September so the colors were awesome! Another thing that has always bugged me is that people go on about how cloudy it always is in Minneapolis, but I can only remember it being rainy one time when I was there. Is it really cloudier than most places??? And are the summers really as humid as people say???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or