U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Help! Should I Move to Minneapolis or Denver?
Denver 21 41.18%
Minneapolis 30 58.82%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:37 PM

10,302 posts, read 8,285,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Hey a guy that's knows the Black Hills!!! Sure, Minnesota can't really compare to the beauty of the Black Hills and Rocky Mountains but I've seen some beautiful spots here and there when I've visited.

Once, we took 169 from Minneapolis to Mankato and the drive was very beautiful. It was hilly and forested and the best part was that it was late September so the colors were awesome! Another thing that has always bugged me is that people go on about how cloudy it always is in Minneapolis, but I can only remember it being rainy one time when I was there. Is it really cloudier than most places??? And are the summers really as humid as people say???
according to this Weather Facts and Figures hottest coldest sunny cloudy windy site,

% of sunny days per year
Denver 69%
Rapid City 63%
Minneapolis 58%

afternoon humidity
Denver 40%
Rapid City 51%
Minneapolis 61%

normal daily mean temp
Denver 50
Rapid City 46
Minneapolis 44
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:55 PM

3,940 posts, read 9,718,730 times
Thanks for that info! I think people were exagerrating when they described Mineapolis' climate to me. It's really not too much worse than Rapid City and even though Denver's is better it's not as extreme as I thought.

I've only been to Minneapolis once in the summer and it was at the airport and MOA. I didn't really go outside much. Usually when I go up it's in the fall or spring and it's absolutely gorgeous! Then I went up this January when the high was 5 degrees and I hated it!!!

I have to admit, I've only been through Denver in the winter on my way up to go skiing. I usually get to Denver in the spring or summertime. Could be a variable in my perception of the climate!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:27 AM

10,102 posts, read 14,757,907 times
I have never thought of Minneapolis as a cloudy city. I've lived in many different regions of the country, and Minneapolis was probably about in the middle in the cloudy scale. It does get hot and humid in the summer - sometimes very hot and humid - but probably not as bad as people make it sound. If you can handle a Denver winter you can handle a Minneapolis winter.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 AM

1,823 posts, read 3,449,014 times
Hey Danny,

This option defiently isn't for everybody, but if you really want Denver have you thought about getting your general studies done at a Community College in Colorado and then transferring them to the University of your choice, then completing your major? Here in Nebraska the credits from in-state community colleges transfer very easily to the in-state Universities, so I'm guessing Colorado would be the same. Like I said, its not an option for everyone but it might save you some tution costs.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:57 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,940,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Hey Danny,

This option defiently isn't for everybody, but if you really want Denver have you thought about getting your general studies done at a Community College in Colorado and then transferring them to the University of your choice, then completing your major? Here in Nebraska the credits from in-state community colleges transfer very easily to the in-state Universities, so I'm guessing Colorado would be the same. Like I said, its not an option for everyone but it might save you some tution costs.
The Community College of Denver charges nearly just as much for out-of-state tuition as the University of Colorado at Denver does. If Minnesota will give in-state tuition to residents from the Dakotas, then Danny should take advantage of that opportunity (they do the same for Wisconsin residents). Also, from a social point-of-view, Minnesota offers much more of a traditional college atmosphere; it will much easier to make friends there as opposed to Auraria campus. UM-Twin Cities is one of the largest public universities in the nation, usually ranked along with schools like University of Texas-Austin and Ohio State.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:35 PM

2,411 posts, read 3,099,675 times
If you can't afford CU-Boulder or DU, than I would go to school in Minneapolis. While I believe UCD is a fair school, it's not great--it's overrated, and it will not provide you with true college campus life. The opportunity to go to a better University at a reasonable tuition rate is what I would advise. Going to school in another state away from where you eventually want to move will also broaden your experiences..I have friends here in Denver that went to school in MN and loved it..UCD is better for older working people seeking a certificate or advanced degree towards furthering their careers without a lot of hassle..very much a commuter school..

Last edited by Scott5280; 04-03-2009 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-03-2009, 04:00 PM

3,940 posts, read 9,718,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpabes View Post
Hey Danny,

I did think of that but I want to take French throughout college and most community colleges have either a weak foreign language program or none at all. If Black Hills State University (here near Rapid City) offered French I'd probably go there but unfortunately they don't. I plan on majoring in French along with whatever else I choose to do. Most likely advertising-marketing but I have thought of just becoming a linguist too.

One thing I am wondering though- my mother is planning to move to Loveland around the same time I go to school. After a year of her living there and if I lived there too would I get in state rates??? Sure, I'd have to wait another year but if it works out I may be willing to. Then I could probably afford CU-Boulder or CSU.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:17 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,940,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
One thing I am wondering though- my mother is planning to move to Loveland around the same time I go to school. After a year of her living there and if I lived there too would I get in state rates??? Sure, I'd have to wait another year but if it works out I may be willing to. Then I could probably afford CU-Boulder or CSU.
If both you and your mother were to live in Colorado for 12 months, then you would qualify for in-state tuition before the age of 23. You wouldn't even necessarily have to live together either, just as long as you're in the same state at the same time. Loveland is located very close to Fort Collins (CSU) and Greeley (UNC) isn't much farther. I personally prefer Fort Collins to Boulder in terms of college atmosphere and overall vibe of the city. People in "Fort Fun" are a lot friendlier and not so full of themselves compared to many in Boulder. Both cities are close to the foothills and have rivers nearby, but Fort Collins has Horsetooth Reservoir, which is one of the very few swimming beaches you're going to find in Colorado, right outside of town.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:50 PM

10,102 posts, read 14,757,907 times
I wouldn't put off college just because you can get in-state rates if you wait a year, at least not if you have the option of getting in-state tuition currently at a good school like the U of MN. I think you're overanalyzing the whole thing. Transfer later if you want (if your mom establishes residency there would it count for you if you're a dependent? Might be worth looking into) but it doesn't seem worth it - financially or time-wise - to delay things for a year just because you like living in CO better.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:45 PM

69,705 posts, read 59,955,448 times
Here are the rules for in-state residency in Colorado:

Summary of Tuition Classification Regulations - Colorado Higher Education Residency Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.