U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 12:38 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,121,255 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip to Kansas City and I looked up the Light & Power District. It looks like a pretty okay district but looking at the website, it seems as if they are trying a bit too hard. Using words like "hip" "sexy" "unforgettable" "sophisticated" "indulgent" "ultra chic" and "high-energy."

Do you feel some cities are trying too hard to court young people?

What are some cities you'd recommend for the younger set?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 01:09 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,125,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I am planning a trip to Kansas City and I looked up the Light & Power District. It looks like a pretty okay district but looking at the website, it seems as if they are trying a bit too hard. Using words like "hip" "sexy" "unforgettable" "sophisticated" "indulgent" "ultra chic" and "high-energy."

Kansas City probably has nothing to do with the website you describe; but rather the owners and developers of the Power and Light District.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:16 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,104,385 times
The Power and Light District wants your money. :-)

Old 03-31-2009, 02:45 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,221,326 times
Quote:

I've been there a few times. It's definitely worth a visit, but I'm not sure they market it as it is. I agree with indulgent...but not so much sophisticated.

It's just a different way to get drunk. You can walk from bar to bar with your drinks in hand. Each bar has it's own little niche. A bar is a bar no matter how you want to market it.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:47 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,260,013 times
I guess it depends where you live. My area tries unbelievably hard to court baby boomers and retirees.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:06 PM

893 posts, read 2,521,543 times
Long Island hasn't really done anything to make young people want to move/stay here.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,066,599 times
Little Rock loses most of it's young people because this area offers nothing for them. In my opinion this area focuses way too much on the typical suburban family who wants to live in a cul-de-sac, drive an SUV, and shop at Wal-Mart. Ive noticed that people seeking that lifestyle typically LOVE Little Rock and the rest of us can't wait to get out. Without a twentysomething population a town will feel pretty sleepy after about 8pm no matter the population. Keeping young people around is imperative for many aspects of what most would consider an urban area.

Last edited by bchris02; 03-31-2009 at 04:10 PM..

Old 03-31-2009, 11:01 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,761,091 times
Quote:

That's a Cordish Company deal. The Power & Light district has potential, but is a little cheesey in it's infancy.

I wouldn't avoid P&L, but as a tourist, you might like the Country Club Plaza, Westport, City Market, Crossroads, and the areas around Crown Center, Liberty Memorial, and Union Station. All are much more authentic Kansas City.

The city itself doesn't seem to try all that hard to attract younger people, although I'm sure they would like more.

I like KC well enough, but Minneapolis seems a bit more vibrant and youthful in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or