U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:06 PM

16,909 posts, read 11,803,984 times

Advertisements

Glacial desert formed and is growing in Maine.

Desert of Maine - Freeport, ME Maine's Natural Phenomenon ... only minutes from LL Bean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 09:45 AM

925 posts, read 2,290,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Good map Trimac. It really shows how much rain the Pacific Northwest and even the Great Smokies get. Unless that big orange area in Eastern Colorado is a desert(?), does Texas win this one?
That looks more like the Blue Ridge band of mountains from extreme northeast Georgia up to about Franklin, North Carolina, and over to Transylvania County. The "Smokies" are actually right up against the NC/TN border.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:26 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,118,248 times
There is a fair part of the Chihuahuan Desert in West Texas. The farthest east the desert extends is to around Fort Stockton.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:31 PM

925 posts, read 2,290,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
There is a fair part of the Chihuahuan Desert in West Texas. The farthest east the desert extends is to around Fort Stockton.
It certainly may extend a little farther east along I-10. However, it does seem to disappate near Fort Stockton near I-20. You cross a ridge or highland area, and on the other side, you see fewer cacti and more grass.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:10 PM

7,130 posts, read 9,898,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
That looks more like the Blue Ridge band of mountains from extreme northeast Georgia up to about Franklin, North Carolina, and over to Transylvania County. The "Smokies" are actually right up against the NC/TN border.
My bad, it looks like you are correct. Either way, beautiful country.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:38 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
The Desert of Maine is not a desert. A desert is defined by rainfall. The Desert of Maine is a normally rainy place where the ground is covered with (often wet) sand, as a result of poor farming technique that resulted in soil erosion. A sand-trap at a golf course is not a desert. A sandbar on the banks of the Amazon is not a desert. The Desert of Maine is not a desert, except in the imagination of a huckster who owns a gift shop next to it. It's only 40 acres (1/16 of a square mile.) I know suburbanites who graze their horses on more than that.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:56 AM

2,857 posts, read 5,987,505 times
The Chihuahuan desert is the easternmost (and southernmost) desert in the US extending well into Texas.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:20 PM

84 posts, read 236,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
The Chihuahuan desert is the easternmost (and southernmost) desert in the US extending well into Texas.
I live in Amarillo and didn't know this! From the looks of it, the Chihuahuan destert extends about as far as Junction, Texas, about 100 miles west of San Antonio.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:51 AM

593 posts, read 1,177,416 times
Yeah, Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park as well as several Wildlife Management Areas are located in the Chihuahuan Desert. Looks desolate and mostly is but many parts are really nice.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:27 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,446,091 times
Quote:
Interestingly, Northern Michigan is the only place that gets less rain than places to the west of it (excluding areas that are highly influenced by mountain ranges). This, in fact, does have a severe impact on agriculture in Michigan, where people have to do an enormous amount of watering to maintain kitchen gardens.
Hmmm... is this a sarcastic comment about a lack of agriculture in Michigan? I think it is, although it's hard to pick up sarcasm in written form.

Just to set the record straight, there is a ton of agriculture in Michigan. I found these pictures of Michigan's "thumb region," which is one of the parts of Michigan on the map that had less precipitation than anything around it, even a lot of states to the West.

Interestingly, I couldn't find any good pictures without wind turbines in them...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.